TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Arabesque- golfing girl. Offline
Be Creative. Always Dance❤️

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Emmie🦋

Points: 108,978, Level: 47 Points: 108,978, Level: 47 Points: 108,978, Level: 47

College dorm or stay at home? - February 22nd 2020, 10:31 PM

This is my senior year in high school and I will be going to college in the fall. I'm not sure if I want to live in a dorm or stay at home. My parents said that they are fine with what I want to do. They are about 20 to 40 minutes from my house. If you we're me, what would you do? When you have time can you please help me. Thank you.

•Forums Officer
•HelpLINK Moderator
•Community Moderator•
Article Writer
•Resource Editor
•Newsletter Editor
• Social Media Guru.

"Dance is your pulse, your heartbeat,
It’s the rhythm
of your life.

It’s the expression
in time and movement,

in happiness, joy, sadness and envy.
-Jacques d’Ambroise''
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Resilient Offline
HelpLINK Officer

Senior TeenHelper

Name: Court
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 27,349, Level: 23 Points: 27,349, Level: 23 Points: 27,349, Level: 23

Re: College dorm or stay at home? - February 23rd 2020, 06:22 AM

In the end, the choice is ultimately yours.

When I was in high school EVERYONE told me to stay at home and commute to school, and in a way I kind of regret not living on campus and in a way not. I regret not staying on campus because I missed out on a lifetime opportunity, however being I stayed at home, I saved a lot of money in the long run. If you choose to stay on campus, just remember, you don't have to stay there the whole time you're in college unless you like it. You can always move back home after your first semester or year, depending on the college. Also, remember, most dorms require you to have a roommate unless you pay extra for a private. So if you don't like strangers that's something to consider. Also bear in mind that some colleges have meal plans so that meals are included in your tuition, and others do not and you have to buy your own food.

Have you made a pro and con list of living on campus versus living at home?
Would you regret at least not trying to stay on campus?
Do you have the necessary funds to stay on campus? (i.e. scholarships, financial aid, etc...)
Would you be comfortable rooming with someone you don't know?
Are you able to buy your own food if a meal plan is not included or there's only a partial meal plan?

There are many many questions you need to ask yourself, and lots of things to reflect on about whether or not to move to a dorm. If you have any doubts or questions that you don't have the answer to, usually your colleges website has most of the information on there. I can also help you out however I can when you need it I'm just a PM or VM away.

Take care, and as always, HUGS !

Resilient
1. (of a person or animal) able to withstand or recover quickly from difficult conditions.
2. (of a substance or object) able to recoil or spring back into shape after bending, stretching, or being compressed.

We all possess resilience, we just need to realize it.

Lead Moderator | HelpLINK Officer

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 57,742, Level: 34 Points: 57,742, Level: 34 Points: 57,742, Level: 34

Re: College dorm or stay at home? - February 23rd 2020, 08:04 PM

How do you feel about the idea of living in a dorm? Do you feel excited by the idea and look forward to making new friends and getting involved in the social side of college? Or do you feel a bit nervous and maybe needing some time to yourself, away from other people?

Also, how long will you be in college for? Maybe, if you were nervous, it might be possible to stay at home for the first year, and then when you are settled and have made friends, you can find a place to live with your friends the year after? Or the other way around- you can move out and then if you don't like it, you can go back home.

As Court said above, finances are important as well. Maybe look at the cost overall of moving out vs staying at home. I also agree with maybe a pros and cons list, and if you decide you want to move out, to check out the dorms as well, just to see what they are like.

When I went to university, I stayed home and travelled into university. I found that arrangement suited me better though the travelling did get tiring. I didn't feel ready to move out at the time but think I feel more prepared now. But that's my experience. Since it sounds like your parents are supportive, whatever you decide to do, it really depends on how you feel

Mentoring and Support Team Leader | Click here to volunteer
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,500, Level: 59 Points: 172,500, Level: 59 Points: 172,500, Level: 59

Re: College dorm or stay at home? - February 24th 2020, 08:05 PM

I lived in the dorms and I think that the dorm can help you become more independent and live away from your parents. It might help you get more involved in school, too, because you'll be around school to able to join clubs and social groups, and hang out with new friends at the student center. I am 30 minutes away from my school too and go home on weekends, so depending on your parents you may be able to go home every so often!

Like others have said, you probably will have to get a roommate. I think most schools tell you who your roommate will be before you start and give you their email, so you can possibly email them ahead of time to plan out who brings what and just get to know them. My school lets you switch rooms too during a designated time so that may be an option if you don't get along with your first one.

Do you think you'd be able to tour the dorms before deciding, and maybe see what goes on in the dorms? That may help.

I agree with making a pros/cons list!

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount57

Edit avatar

Re: College dorm or stay at home? - February 25th 2020, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypothesis. View Post
I lived in the dorms and I think that the dorm can help you become more independent and live away from your parents. It might help you get more involved in school, too, because you'll be around school to able to join clubs and social groups, and hang out with new friends at the student center. I am 30 minutes away from my school too and go home on weekends, so depending on your parents you may be able to go home every so often!
Just to chime in, I think this depends largely on the person! I personally had the opposite experience, in that I actually became less independent living in the dorms and rarely left my oom because I was exhausted from being bombarded by people all day long. By living at home, I'm able to take the time alone I need to recharge and am actually more involved on campus than I was when I lived in the dorms. I definitely don't regret my decision to commute!

As for roommates, I got a note from my doctor that said that I was do best in a single room, so I was able to get around having a roommate. If you think that might be an issue for you, that's something to look into!

~Kylie
  (#6 (permalink)) Old

Jeez, get a life!

Points: 108,978, Level: 47 Points: 108,978, Level: 47 Points: 108,978, Level: 47

Re: College dorm or stay at home? - February 29th 2020, 01:01 PM

Thank you all so much for you're replies and what you are saying.

I am going to go to college for 4 years because I'm going to be a Elementary teacher. I've been teaching kids dance classes before I dance and this is what I want to do. I'm making a pro and con list to help me out. I took lots of tours of the dorms last year and some had a program that you and you're mom or dad can stay with you. I went with my mom, it was fun. I just care about going to classes, dancing, teaching dance and taking care of my cat and my sister's. So I don't know if I can leave her or him. Thank you all again. Hugs

•Forums Officer
•HelpLINK Moderator
•Community Moderator•
Article Writer
•Resource Editor
•Newsletter Editor
• Social Media Guru.

It’s the rhythm
of your life.

It’s the expression
in time and movement,

-Jacques d’Ambroise''
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Points: 88,663, Level: 42 Points: 88,663, Level: 42 Points: 88,663, Level: 42

Re: College dorm or stay at home? - March 2nd 2020, 03:05 AM

Hi there!

As the other members have said, the choice is ultimately up to you and by making a pros and cons list, it'll help you figure out what to do in the long run.

Would you be able to afford living on campus and to become independent or would you rather stay at home and save up money?

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Tigereyes Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 26,047, Level: 23 Points: 26,047, Level: 23 Points: 26,047, Level: 23

Re: College dorm or stay at home? - March 2nd 2020, 10:41 PM

It depends on a lot. You should do what you think would be best for you. I had to pay for housing because my school was hours away. Lived in a dorm first year, then got apartment with friends. I preferred that.
A couple things to consider though:
-Is it mostly a commuter school? Mine was, defeating the purpose of living on campus. If not, might be good to be on campus during weekends for events and clubs.
-Meal plans are often required (and especially expensive for freshmen). Does this make sense for your dietary needs?
-Cost of dorms; I lived 3 hr away from my parents, so I had to pay for housing. Apartment with friends ended up being cheaper, bigger, and nicer than tiny dorm.
-Parking pass; commuter passes are usually cheaper.
-The feeling of being at school all the time; might promote studying, it made me feel like I could never get away from school.
-Convience; dining halls have food readily available, everything is right there on campus. One of the things I missed most.

"Just open your eyes and see that life is beautiful..." ~Sixx:A.M.
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
EthanWood Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 1,092, Level: 5 Points: 1,092, Level: 5 Points: 1,092, Level: 5

Re: College dorm or stay at home? - August 12th 2020, 01:26 PM

I think this is a very good post. Thanks.
  (#10 (permalink)) Old

Jeez, get a life!

Re: College dorm or stay at home? - August 12th 2020, 02:38 PM

Thank you all so much. Hugs

•Forums Officer
•HelpLINK Moderator
•Community Moderator•
Article Writer
•Resource Editor
•Newsletter Editor
• Social Media Guru.

It’s the rhythm
of your life.

It’s the expression
in time and movement,

-Jacques d’Ambroise''
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount59

Edit avatar

Re: College dorm or stay at home? - September 5th 2020, 05:40 PM

I am locking this thread because I assume you've already made a decision as to where you'll stay during school. If you would like this thread reopened for any reason, please let me know!
Closed Thread