TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
bugsy351 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: nez

Points: 10,345, Level: 14 Points: 10,345, Level: 14 Points: 10,345, Level: 14

Problems at work.. - September 20th 2011, 03:37 AM

To cut to the chase, I am having major problems at work. I don't mean this to be offensive or upset anybody but I am the only White girl working in a store that is predominately Asian. I wouldn't have thought this would be a problem and normally it isn't but one of the guys has really upset me and since he first upset me I now can't stand to be near him. Basically this is my first job and because we are new he has decided that he can treat us as his slaves and pick on us whenever he wants. It all came to a head the other night when he swore at me twice in front of the customer, he told me to do my f***ing job because it's what I get paid for and I burst into tears. That night all he'd done was stand by the self service machine, text and go outside for continual chats with his mates leaving me to serve 100 or so customers on my own. When I eventually said I'm going on my break he told me I wasn't because there was no one to look after the tills then proceeded to go on his break and come back 2 hours later. This guy is getting paid the same as me, he's not my boss and he's not a supervisor. So when he got back I decided to have a word with him and tell him not to be rude to me and he shrugged it off and I went into the staff room and burst into tears. It gets worse however because I changed my shifts so I don't have to be near him as much but when he did arrive into work (25 mins late again!!) he again didn't do any work and used the self checkout as an excuse not to help me and ignored any requests I gave him to help me out. The end of that shift his friend came in and started talking about another guy who worked at the store and said "where's that queer lad?" after which they started to bitch about the guy in front of the customers calling him moody and then this guy told his friend that the guy they were bitchy about had been jumped and that he deserved it because he's gay. I just thought you total scumbag. The short of it is I really don't want to go into work the thought of it makes me feel sick but I'm on my 6 month probationary period and I need the money for university. Does anyone have any ideas how to deal with this?

nez <3
Dory: Are... are you my conscience?
Marlin: [sighs] Yes, I'm your conscience. We haven't spoken for a while. How are you?
Dory: Eh, can't complain.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
EatenByAGrue Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Chris

Points: 9,740, Level: 14 Points: 9,740, Level: 14 Points: 9,740, Level: 14

Re: Problems at work.. - September 20th 2011, 11:19 AM

Ok so this guy isn't your boss. So where is your boss? It definitely sounds like something your boss needs to here. I also recommend keeping a diary. Plotting what've you done, when you've done it. And what the 'lazy bum' is doing when he should be doing something else.

Good luck!
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
bugsy351 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: nez

Points: 10,345, Level: 14 Points: 10,345, Level: 14 Points: 10,345, Level: 14

Re: Problems at work.. - September 20th 2011, 02:52 PM

I work for sainsburys and the boss is never in and the supervisors are never around. I've been keeping a diary of what's been happening but no one is taking any notice xx

nez <3
Dory: Are... are you my conscience?
Marlin: [sighs] Yes, I'm your conscience. We haven't spoken for a while. How are you?
Dory: Eh, can't complain.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Dr.Bobby Offline
Psychologist
Senior TeenHelper

Points: 11,362, Level: 15 Points: 11,362, Level: 15 Points: 11,362, Level: 15

Re: Problems at work.. - September 20th 2011, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Ok so this guy isn't your boss. So where is your boss? It definitely sounds like something your boss needs to here. I also recommend keeping a diary. Plotting what've you done, when you've done it. And what the 'lazy bum' is doing when he should be doing something else.

Good luck!
^This. Where are the bosses? The store cannot run itself. Make a call, tell them what's going on, and show them your journal. Maybe even catch it on your cell. Try not to personalize the remarks of your co worker, just build a case against him with his own actions and words.

PM me with the link of the post you'd like me to respond to.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
LittleMiss Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Christine

Points: 15,087, Level: 17 Points: 15,087, Level: 17 Points: 15,087, Level: 17

Re: Problems at work.. - September 21st 2011, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Bobby View Post
^This. Where are the bosses? The store cannot run itself. Make a call, tell them what's going on, and show them your journal. Maybe even catch it on your cell. Try not to personalize the remarks of your co worker, just build a case against him with his own actions and words.
I would advise against taking cellphone videos or pictures as it's illegal to take photos of people without their permission.

Call your boss. He should have a contact number.
If you can't contact him, go to you worker's union or the local fair work ombudsman and get them on your case!

Happy to talk about anything and everything.
Send me a message any time, my proverbial door is open

Laughter is the best medicine
Q: What's the difference between a surgeon and God?
A: God doesn't think he's a surgeon.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Dr.Bobby Offline
Psychologist
Senior TeenHelper

Points: 11,362, Level: 15 Points: 11,362, Level: 15 Points: 11,362, Level: 15

Re: Problems at work.. - September 22nd 2011, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMiss View Post

I would advise against taking cellphone videos or pictures as it's illegal to take photos of people without their permission.
Perhaps the law is different in Australia, but it is legal in the USA to take pictures or otherwise document public behavior, especially if it is unlawful.

The OP's best course of action here is to present her boss very calmly with as much data concering her complaint as possible.

PM me with the link of the post you'd like me to respond to.
Closed Thread