TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Obliviate Offline
Mother of Dragons
I've been here a while

Points: 26,931, Level: 23 Points: 26,931, Level: 23 Points: 26,931, Level: 23

College & sixth form choices - January 20th 2012, 06:37 PM

So this college is amazing. It's one of the top in the country... but it's a while away and would cost £500 a year for the bus.
I would have to get up a 6 every morning just to catch the bus at half 7. And then I won't be able to go home until 3:50 every day because there is only one bus back to my town.

It sucks.

My other choice is my school sixth form. We've failed ofstead inspections and have been put on special measures. The pass rate in only 60% and many people get turned down from universities because of how bad my school is. But it's right on the doorstep. Plus I can do 4 & 1/2 a levels instead of only doing 4 at Bilborough.

& then there's west notts. It's not too far away, and the bus is free. I've been offered a place and I've accepted. Problem is it doesn't feel right. It jut feels like a bigger school. Plus you should see the people who go there. They're a bit rough-looking - and that's me being nice. I don't think I'd fit in there.

What do I do?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Points: 33,939, Level: 26 Points: 33,939, Level: 26 Points: 33,939, Level: 26

Re: College & sixth form choices - January 20th 2012, 07:07 PM

Coming from someone who doesn't understand this educational system... If you started where you've already accepted and decided you hated it, could you decide to go somewhere else? If so I say try it and see, just because people fit a stereotype doesn't mean much.

If a place is legistically a pain, imagine when you actually have to get up at 6 every day and you're stuck there all day with only one bus.

Based on what you said about the sixth form at your school, personally I don't think it's worth it. If it's difficult to pass and get to university afterwards (which I'm assuming is what you want) it doesn't matter how convenient it is because it may cause major problems later.

So there's my 2 cents hope that was somewhat helpful. Good luck

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Regular TeenHelper

Points: 11,060, Level: 15 Points: 11,060, Level: 15 Points: 11,060, Level: 15

Re: College & sixth form choices - January 20th 2012, 10:05 PM

Stay at (or go to?) the better one. The time thing shouldn't be much of an issue, a lot of people (including me) do journey's like that to and from school.

Hey, guess why i smile a lot... because it's worth it

People who don't want you to think are never your friends.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
blumemusik♫ Offline
~Savvy?
I've been here a while

Name: Kate

Points: 18,635, Level: 19 Points: 18,635, Level: 19 Points: 18,635, Level: 19

Re: College & sixth form choices - January 21st 2012, 07:08 PM

Hey Charli

I'll break this down:

1) The really good one. Cost is obviously an issue, but that aside, really it's only the timing which is hard. Getting up at 6 every morning would be difficult, but doable. It's likely you'd have to get up that early for a job or university when you're older. You'd have to stick around to get the bus back, BUT this could be a good thing. You wouldn't be distracted, and it gives you time to do your homework or whatever you got that day before you even get home! Because it's so much easier to procrastinate when you're at home :P Depending on what time your college finishes, you could have an hour or more just dedicated to work before it's time to come back!

2) Your sixth form, personally, I don't think is worth it. A 60% pass rate is pretty poor, and if people just get refused from university because they went to that sixth form, it seems a risky choice. Also, at the end of the day, I don't think an extra half an A Level is going to count for too much.

3) The place where you've been accepted is a possibility. However, if you don't think it feels right, I don't think you should go there. I felt the same with a local college, and have now settled on going to my own sixth form because it makes me feel so much more comfortable. It 'fits' me, if you know what I mean? If you don't feel that connection, I'm not sure how good it'd be. You might not enjoy it or get the grades you could if you were in a better environment.

You're a very intelligent girl, and will do well wherever you go, but my advice would be to go to number 1, if that's where you want to go Best of luck <3
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
TheCrowing Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Courtney

Points: 11,157, Level: 15 Points: 11,157, Level: 15 Points: 11,157, Level: 15

Re: College & sixth form choices - January 21st 2012, 08:33 PM

I also don't know your educational system very well..

But either way, you should go where you feel more comfortable going. Cost is an issue, totally understood.. but you don't want to be miserable going somewhere that doesn't live up to what you're looking for.

"Although only breath, words which I command are immortal." Sappho

"Sometimes I feel nothing at all. Sometimes I feel everything is my fault.
Sometimes I feel the hate break my mind. Sometimes I feel they deserve it this time.
May the bridges I burn light my way." - I, Alone - Otep

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Obliviate Offline
Mother of Dragons
I've been here a while

Points: 26,931, Level: 23 Points: 26,931, Level: 23 Points: 26,931, Level: 23

Re: College & sixth form choices - January 22nd 2012, 02:17 PM

Thank you all so much for the advice. I just need to get my finger out and ask my school for a reference.
<3

(#7 (permalink)) Old
girl_pants Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Lucy

Points: 10,928, Level: 15 Points: 10,928, Level: 15 Points: 10,928, Level: 15

Re: College & sixth form choices - January 23rd 2012, 06:53 AM

Hey,
I would go to the college you want to. and with the money, I pay £50 a month just to get to and from my college and the college should be able to help you with that. This is because they get money off the government to give to students who really need it ( in replacment for EMA). I would visit the college again and talk to the people who deal with money and grants.
And make the right decsion for you. I didn't and I'm hating it

Closed Thread