TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Money Matters This forum is for support with financial issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Resilient Offline
HelpLINK Officer

Senior TeenHelper

Name: Court
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 27,349, Level: 23 Points: 27,349, Level: 23 Points: 27,349, Level: 23

Money - August 2nd 2020, 05:59 AM

So, long story short, my mom isn't working and my dad is only on social security. Me and my sister live with them and are working. Well, I've been saving up for a puppy and I was going to give the breeder some more money on the puppy yesterday, well, little did I know my parents took my credit card, that they were only supposed to buy my cat litter and crickets for my gecko with, and they went on a shopping spree in Walmart for unnecessary items, AND took three hundred out of my account to put towards their insurance for the house and their cars. Well, I pay for my own insurance, car and health. I understand paying for the house part of the insurance because I live there but for their cars? No. They asked my for the three hundred, which I allowed, but I had no idea they'd spend so much money at Walmart. I only have 50 dollars left out of my pay for gas the next two weeks for my car to get to and from work.

I can't exactly move out because they destroyed my savings I had for a down payment on a home loan or security deposit for rent, and I make too much money for assistance. And if I were to move out, they wouldn't have as much financial help and I don't want to see them become homeless or anything.

I cried the whole way to work tonight about it and when I got to work, find out that my co workers feel that I only got my promotion because I was a favorite of one of the bosses. Cherry on top. But I've since talked to the bosses that had the final say in my promotion, and they told me that that was not the reason I was promoted, they told me it was because I showed good leadership skills and was very professional and reliable. Those co workers can shove it.

I'm just rolling with the punches at this point not much else to do but wait till something else comes along that they can get upset about, and forget about my promotion.

But this whole family thing is a huge downer.

Resilient
1. (of a person or animal) able to withstand or recover quickly from difficult conditions.
2. (of a substance or object) able to recoil or spring back into shape after bending, stretching, or being compressed.

We all possess resilience, we just need to realize it.

Lead Moderator | HelpLINK Officer

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Points: 88,579, Level: 42 Points: 88,579, Level: 42 Points: 88,579, Level: 42

Re: Money - August 2nd 2020, 07:39 AM

Hello there Court,

I'm sorry to hear that you've had a tough time at the moment. It's hard when family members spend more than intended and to have so little money at the end of it all. Could you possibly talk to your parents about how it made you feel? It may be a difficult conversation to have but I feel like both you and your parents will be able to have a weight lifted off your chest.

In regards to your co-workers, that wasn't a nice thing for them to say to you but it's great to hear that you cleared it up with your boss.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Resilient Offline
HelpLINK Officer

Senior TeenHelper

Name: Court
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 27,349, Level: 23 Points: 27,349, Level: 23 Points: 27,349, Level: 23

Re: Money - August 2nd 2020, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight. View Post

I'm sorry to hear that you've had a tough time at the moment. It's hard when family members spend more than intended and to have so little money at the end of it all. Could you possibly talk to your parents about how it made you feel? It may be a difficult conversation to have but I feel like both you and your parents will be able to have a weight lifted off your chest.
Well, the things is I have talked to them and they say they feel bad for doing it and that they'll help me later but they cannot help me if they cannot help themselves, you know? And they said it's hard for them to ask me for stuff, more so because I always "stick it up in their faces". I always remind them that they took money off of me because I want them to know how much I'm giving up for them, and when I do spend money on myself they get angry because they said instead of doing that I could have helped them. Excuse me for wanting to treat myself every once in a while. As long as I pay my bills and help them out a little bit, what does it matter? They're trying to guilt trip me.

Resilient
1. (of a person or animal) able to withstand or recover quickly from difficult conditions.
2. (of a substance or object) able to recoil or spring back into shape after bending, stretching, or being compressed.

We all possess resilience, we just need to realize it.

Lead Moderator | HelpLINK Officer

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Points: 88,579, Level: 42 Points: 88,579, Level: 42 Points: 88,579, Level: 42

Re: Money - August 3rd 2020, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resilient View Post

Well, the things is I have talked to them and they say they feel bad for doing it and that they'll help me later but they cannot help me if they cannot help themselves, you know? And they said it's hard for them to ask me for stuff, more so because I always "stick it up in their faces". I always remind them that they took money off of me because I want them to know how much I'm giving up for them, and when I do spend money on myself they get angry because they said instead of doing that I could have helped them. Excuse me for wanting to treat myself every once in a while. As long as I pay my bills and help them out a little bit, what does it matter? They're trying to guilt trip me.
I'm sorry to hear that. It certainly does sound like you are in a bit of a sticky situation and it would be frustrating for anyone. Just like you said, at the end of the day, it is your money and you are entitled to treat yourself once in a while, not to just pay bills. It's great to hear that you were able to talk to them about how you feel.

Closed Thread