TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Hairstyling This forum is for questions and tips relating to hairstyling, from the trendiest new style, to dye use and conditioning.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount29

Edit avatar

Shorter hair. - June 20th 2018, 12:13 AM

I feel embarrassed to be asking this because I don't really conform to gender norms, but when it comes to hair, it matters so much. I am planning on getting my hair cut short on Monday (and buzz short in August for personal reasons) but I am worried about how I will look with short hair.

Is there a way to style shorter hair that it doesn't come out looking a certain way or doesn't have people presuming things about me, if that makes sens. I honestly can't bother with a curling iron and my hair is already straight, pun totally unintended.

I am wary about using barettes because they pull strands of hair out and that gets really painful. Unless they've made improvements on barettes over the past 16/17 years, but are they even in style anymore? I can wear headbands, but it's always falling off my head.

If I use gel, won't it get dirty? Would that still qualify as feminine? I hate saying it like that because I do not conform to gender norms in the way I dress or act.

I guess the other option would be try to dress a little less casually and more in a style? I know that doesn't belong in this particular part of the sub-forum, but ideas welcome!
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Kintsukuroi. Offline
I've been here a while

Points: 41,173, Level: 29 Points: 41,173, Level: 29 Points: 41,173, Level: 29

Re: Shorter hair. - June 21st 2018, 06:03 AM

It would be helpful to know how short you’re planning on getting it cut to give slightly better tips regarding styles. Shoulder length? Chin length? Pixie cut? Depending on the length you're getting, you might have to disregard some of these tips

I haven’t used barrettes since I was in elementary school but I use bobby pins instead. I like bobby pins because you can get them to match your hair colour so it’s not obvious you’re using them or you can gets ones that are different colours (ie pinks/blues/yellows/etc). Or there are ones that are shaped, likes this brand or that have jewels (like crystals or rhinestones, there are lots in different price ranges as well).

Bobby pins are also helpful to keep headbands in place. Have you tried a scarf headband? They work pretty well for both short hair and long hair. A site that is fairly cheap is this site. There are some pretty nice headbands on the site and they donate one headband for every one that has been purchased. The twist turbans stay on pretty well as do the headbands that I/my siblings have (I do use bobby pins though). I also like Nike/Lululemon/etc but those are more for working out than everyday wear. You could also try hard headbands (or Alice as they are also known as) since they typically stay in place better.

I don't have short short hair and I haven’t since I was little and donated it. However, depending on your ability there are loads of styles you can do. For example, are you able to French braid? Here is a link to some shorter hair styles that are pretty simple to do. I’ve most of these on my cousins hair that is just above her shoulders and they all worked well. You can also check out YouTube (ie, search “how to style short hair” or “braids for short hair”) for step by step tutorials if you’re more of a visual learner.

As for outfits, I'm not sure what your style is but here are some ideas. Off the shoulder tops/one shoulder tops, peter pan collars or ruffled tops all look good with shorter hair. Skirts (skater, mid, high waisted are some types you can look into) are also a good bet as are dresses. If you're not comfortable in dresses, floral patterns are an option as well. You could also try pairing a cardigan or kimono with a tighter shirt and a pair of jeans or a skirt. Accessories are always a good bet! If you have shorter hair, necklaces or different earrings work well. Shoes are another option! For example, try wearing heels or ballerina flats or boots (ie knee highs) with jeans or a dressier outfit.

Here are some links to some ideas of the outfits I was trying to describe: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount29

Edit avatar

Re: Shorter hair. - June 21st 2018, 08:30 PM

Since you numbered the bottom set of links, I'm going to number them accordingly and then number the first link higher up as #8.

Link #1: I definitely like the three styles shown on the left and right sides, but not really digging the one in the middle.

Link #2: I like the outfit, but I would probably wear white or grey leggings beneath the skirt. Would that work? Not digging the boots. However, I would wear boots with the same leg length but closed toe and flat, kind of like construction boots but more feminine if that makes sense.

Link #3 is the same as Link #1.

Link #4: Definitely not my style at all, though I think it looks good on the model. Wouldn't work for me.

Link #5: Also not my style of clothing, but I like the flats and hair.

Link #6: Looks good on the model, but not my style. Hair looks like it would require a lot of maintenance as well.

Link #7: Definitely not my style, and hair looks like it'd be too much of an up-keep.

Link #8 (first link given) :I definitely like that shop! I already see a few things I love. I thought barettes were out of style, but thanks for verifying that! Last time I had short hair was around 2001-2004. I much rather bobby pins.

Link #9 (braids) : I love braids! Unfortunately, I can't do them on myself.

Getting to the questions you have about length of hair, I was thinking of something like a pixie cut but I don't know if that would work on me. My head doesn't have much depth (flatter head front to back) and is round. Does that make sense? So I'm worried I won't pull off pixie cut that well.

I don't want super-short spiky hair, and I don't want to maintain it too much. A bit of gel, a couple bobby pins would do.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
kloscarolyn Offline
Banned
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 942, Level: 4 Points: 942, Level: 4 Points: 942, Level: 4

Re: Shorter hair. - November 5th 2020, 01:26 PM

I think that short hair is very comfortable.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,473, Level: 59 Points: 172,473, Level: 59 Points: 172,473, Level: 59

Re: Shorter hair. - February 21st 2022, 09:11 PM

The OP requested this thread be closed.

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
Closed Thread