TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General For questions or discussions that do not fit elsewhere, post here. Please check all forum descriptions before posting here to be sure there is not a better location for your thread.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I've been here a while

Name: Sarah

Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31

Your personal code - September 7th 2020, 11:46 AM

Do you have a personal code, or a type of rule for yourself that you refuse to break?

My brother met a girl online a few weeks ago and already they decided to declare they were in a relationship, just 3 weeks after talking to one another online. She lives in the south of England and he lives in the North. They both met face to face and seem quite happy together. However, my brother admitted to my family that he signed up for a dating site 'for something to do' and wasn't expecting anything from it. Based on the conversation my mum apparently had with him, it comes across like he's with her out of convenience and solely because he was lonely. She seems super into him, whereas he's less so into her.

It reminded me that I will never be that kind of person. I can't say it's good or bad the way my brother behaves. However, I have a personal code where, no matter how lonely or bad I feel, I refuse to be with someone just for the sake of not being alone. Especially if that person is interested in me where as I'm not so much interested in them. Being in a relationship with that person would feel like I'm using them, and that to me is a horrible thing to do. If I want to be in a relationship with them, I prefer to develop a meaningful relationship with them by starting out as friends first, getting to know them, and then if feelings develop, go from there.

It doesn't necessarily have to involve relationships, but what are some of your rules, or codes that you have and refuse to overstep?
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Clarent Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: L.

Points: 9,571, Level: 14 Points: 9,571, Level: 14 Points: 9,571, Level: 14

Re: Your personal code - September 7th 2020, 12:17 PM

No drinking alcohol during work weeks. And if I work weekends, no alcohol during those either.

I never had issues with drinking, but it's just something that helps me avoid that altogether.

The risk I took was calculated, but boy, am I bad at math.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount59

Edit avatar

Re: Your personal code - September 7th 2020, 01:42 PM

^ What he said. That's pretty much my only rule generally speaking. Maybe it's a Polish thing?
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Clarent Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: L.

Points: 9,571, Level: 14 Points: 9,571, Level: 14 Points: 9,571, Level: 14

Re: Your personal code - September 7th 2020, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melancholia. View Post
^ What he said. That's pretty much my only rule generally speaking. Maybe it's a Polish thing?
From the observation of my coworkers, I can absolutely assure you it is NOT a Polish thing. We love our alcohol :P

Guess we're just weirdos like that :P

The risk I took was calculated, but boy, am I bad at math.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Points: 88,747, Level: 42 Points: 88,747, Level: 42 Points: 88,747, Level: 42

Re: Your personal code - September 12th 2020, 03:06 AM

My personal code is a strange one. I don't like people knowing my business, especially on social media. In saying that, I don't post a lot of what I do online.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Mallika Offline
HelpLINK Mentor

Regular TeenHelper

Name: Mallika

Points: 11,409, Level: 15 Points: 11,409, Level: 15 Points: 11,409, Level: 15

Re: Your personal code - September 12th 2020, 08:49 AM

I think your personal code is amazing. That's the true meaning of a relationship - a good relationship lies in loving companionship and mutual respect, whereby you feel the other person is truly your "other half".

My personal code would be that I always say a prayer of gratitude when I wake up and before I go to bed each day, as well as pray for forgiveness for the mistakes I knowingly/unknowingly committed. It just helps me start and end each day on a clean slate
2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Librarian
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Wendi

Points: 10,282, Level: 14 Points: 10,282, Level: 14 Points: 10,282, Level: 14

Re: Your personal code - December 19th 2020, 11:06 AM

My Personal Code.

Respect is earnt not given. Family isn't just blood, but friends that are forever. Never forget people who have been in your life, or presently. Whether you loved and lost, or if you hated and regretted, it's all a lesson learnt in time.

Always accept the apology you didn't get, the one you didn't want, especially the one that wouldn't have made you feel better were you given it.

I believe in being honest. As much as possible, though being economical with the truth is not lying. Never, ever, tell a woman she is fat. The last man who insulted me resembled a panda.

A man's or woman's word is their bond. Don't make a promise you can't keep. I never make New Year's resolutions except to remain constant.

It's hard to find my path in life. But I will find it.
Closed Thread