TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I've been here a while

Name: Sarah

Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31

Covid-19 Vaccination and ethnic minorities in UK - February 22nd 2021, 03:21 PM

I not long had a conversation with my mum. It started out that I was a bit annoyed by Boris Johnson's behaviour. I firmly believe gyms should be classed as essential but he refuses to do so. Instead his briefing in parliament was him spending his time dodging questions. One of the questions related to the vaccine rollout for ethnic minorities and what is the PM doing to tackle the lower vaccination rates amongst them. He dodged the question and said how he's pledged 23 million towards 'hard to reach areas'. What a great response.

The point that person was trying to make is there a racial (note: racial, not racist) issue here in why ethnic minorities weren't receiving the amount they should. Of course my mum instantly chips in saying 'it's all propaganda' and how the vaccination is killing BAME. I was like... what? How is it propaganda that ethnic minorities aren't receiving the right amount of vaccinations? I said to her that ethnic minorities are MORE at risk, if anything else. I countered her claims and said that it could be argued her statement is propaganda too (which it is).

She claimed she got her information from the government site. I said. So have I (since I LITERALLY just watched the PM on the news and SAW him say these things). She then shuts me down saying how she 'isn't going to argue about something or nothing'. What was there to argue about? She came up with a completely stupid and false claim.

The reason why ethnic minorities here are at risk are BECAUSE of statements like hers. They've become lead to believe it will kill them. This is how fake news starts. With people like her. And of course because she'd read some random crap online, as she does, and instantly believes it as fact.. people who are similar will do the same. The cycle just keeps going.

I even looked on the Welsh government site: https://phw.nhs.wales/topics/immunis...t-the-vaccine/

Maybe I'm stupid and blind but NOWHERE does it say, 'Do not take this if you're an ethnic minority.

In fact this is what it DOES say, 'As well as age and underlying co-morbid conditions, potential risk factors include occupational exposure, disadvantage and ethnicity.

Research has shown that people in those groups have been disproportionately affected by COVID-19 with a higher infection rate, higher mortality risk or higher likelihood of transmission.
'.

I'm very sorry this section is always filled with my rants. But this was just so stupid.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Points: 88,231, Level: 42 Points: 88,231, Level: 42 Points: 88,231, Level: 42

Re: Covid-19 Vaccination and ethnic minorities in UK - February 23rd 2021, 08:36 AM

I believe that this vaccine has caused a lot of debate around the world. It certainly has brought out a lot of nastiness in people.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Arabesque- golfing girl. Offline
Be Creative. Always Dance❤️

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Emmie🦋

Points: 107,365, Level: 46 Points: 107,365, Level: 46 Points: 107,365, Level: 46

Re: Covid-19 Vaccination and ethnic minorities in UK - February 25th 2021, 05:19 PM

Hello Sarah,

I am sorry about all of this and hope that you will be okay soon. Everyone should be able to feel however they want to about this and be able to talk about this without getting upset or fighting. This is hard because some people can't go to work everyday or outdoors and they feel like it is never going to end. It will be okay, we will have to wait a little bit longer and then everyone will hopefully come together and have our normal lives back. Try not to get upset about this and I hope that you will be okay soon. Hugs to help.

•Forums Officer
•HelpLINK Moderator
•Community Moderator•
Article Writer
•Resource Editor
•Newsletter Editor
• Social Media Guru.

"Dance is your pulse, your heartbeat,
It’s the rhythm
of your life.

It’s the expression
in time and movement,

in happiness, joy, sadness and envy.
-Jacques d’Ambroise''
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?

Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 74,574, Level: 39 Points: 74,574, Level: 39 Points: 74,574, Level: 39

Re: Covid-19 Vaccination and ethnic minorities in UK - March 8th 2021, 09:38 PM

I've had conversations with colleagues about this sort of thing too. I've had people tell me all sorts of false stories about what goes into the vaccine and why this is a reason it can't be trusted. I think it's really damaging that we live in an age where news can be reported by anyone, regardless of their qualification to tell the news as it really is. Unfortunately, in certain ethnic groups there's been a huge amount of sharing of false news stories which add to the myths around vaccines, and then reduce the uptake in these ethnic groups. And when people add fuel to the fire in this way, it only makes it worse. I can understand reservations about any kind of new medicine or vaccine, but hundreds and hundreds of collective hours went into manufacturing it, testing it, ensuring it's safe for all people, and it's such a shame that regular people have the power to weaken all of that hard work and science.

I completely get your frustration about this, and I think it's really good that you're countering her arguments and trying to correct misinformation. Hopefully there are enough people doing the same thing to balance it out a bit so that BAME people are going to have the vaccine.

"Why want another universe if this one has dogs?"

Matt Haig - The Midnight Library

Volunteer Support Officer | Apply to staff
Closed Thread