TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Ashleylovesyou Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: ashley

Points: 12,400, Level: 16 Points: 12,400, Level: 16 Points: 12,400, Level: 16

What Religion Am I>? - August 27th 2012, 04:09 AM

I would like to know what religion I would be classified as so I can go to some religious organization, like a church or something.

First, I'd like to say that I do not want to be told what I believe is wrong. I respect everyone else's beliefs even though I may not agree with them, I'd like to have mine be respected as well. Thank you!

What I believe:

When you die you go to a higher place (no God), and are an angel if you lived your life in a good way. If you lived your life negatively, once you die you might be put back on Earth in a different body but with the same spirit. (Not 100% sure if I truely believe that or not).

Karma is real, and one should not deliver revenge because life will come around and deliver the revenge that the person deserves to have.

Sex before marriage is fine, children before marriage is fine.

Violence is not okay, unless it is for a greater cause (being in the military for example).

Spirits I believe in... I believe that if your soul is being placed into another body, you must learn why. Once you learn your wrong doings you will be matched with your body.

Evolution

I don't believe:

In the bible.
In a God.
That you HAVE to live your life and meet certain standards in order to be placed in a greater place.

I have been told to go to certain churches before but they all seem to believe strongly in the bible. I don't believe in the bible at all, not one ounce of it.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Traci
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44

Re: What Religion Am I>? - August 27th 2012, 04:41 AM

I would not say you could go to any typical Christian church, since you do not believe in Christianity. I'm not sure there are organizations for people of your type of religion, since you really believe your own thing rather than a list from a church. I might tell you to look into trying out a Unitarian Universalist church, which are open minded and have gatherings from multiple religions. Other than that, I would say you don't need church to believe what you want, just live your life.

something burning?
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Ashleylovesyou Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: What Religion Am I>? - August 27th 2012, 05:24 AM

Thanks! It'd just be nice to talk to people who believed the same thing as me, or someone who believed even 1/2 the stuff i believe in! Ya know?
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Tigerlily. Offline
Rawr
I've been here a while

Name: Cheye

Points: 28,990, Level: 24 Points: 28,990, Level: 24 Points: 28,990, Level: 24

Re: What Religion Am I>? - August 27th 2012, 06:03 AM

That pretty much sums up my beliefs as well and I identify as Wiccan but the thing there is they do believe in not only a God but a Goddess as well, and although I didn't originally believe in a God, I've learned to identify best with Wicca and embrace the God and Goddess side of it. Perhaps you should read into religions in books like at the library or something.

Resident old person, back from much needed, multiple year hiatus.

HelpLINK Mentor(1/28/11)Live Help Operator(5/28/11)Social Networking Team(2/9/12)Rape and Abuse Forum Moderator(2/11/12)Articles Team(7/17/12)Sex and Puberty Forum Moderator(7/28/12)Fashion and Style Forum Moderator(9/23/12)Chat Mod(10/13/12)Buddy(11/18/12)
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
JGeek Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 6,917, Level: 12 Points: 6,917, Level: 12 Points: 6,917, Level: 12

Re: What Religion Am I>? - August 27th 2012, 08:12 AM

Why don't you just talk to other rational people about what you believe? Does it even matter what all of us believe in? What we do and how we live is all that matters in my opinion. I have my own beliefs, but they don't keep me from visiting Christian church, Muslim mosque, Taoist temple or other religious places. You will always find people that would tell you that what you believe in is wrong, but that has nothing to do with what you or these people believe. Some people just like to argue. You can always find some wise thoughts in different religions.

Anyway, you might be interested in reading more about Buddhism
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Points: 32,471, Level: 26 Points: 32,471, Level: 26 Points: 32,471, Level: 26

Re: What Religion Am I>? - August 27th 2012, 11:28 AM

I am not sure off of the top of my head what you would fit into best. You hold a lot of key values for a lot of religions like karma and reincarnation. Since you do not believe in a God, perhaps with that combination you would be interested in Buddhism.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Points: 19,936, Level: 20 Points: 19,936, Level: 20 Points: 19,936, Level: 20

Re: What Religion Am I>? - August 27th 2012, 04:20 PM

Agree with Lizzie - that sounds most like Buddhism, particularly the bit about karma. Best suggestion would be to do some entry-level reading on the life of Buddha and his teachings, as well as some of the more prominent schools of thought, and see if that tallies with your views.

Best of luck.

EDIT: To give a bit of a helping hand, the three main schools of thought are Theravada, Mahāyāna and Vajrayāna. Also there are a number of other movements and schools under the wider term of Buddhism. That's about as far as my knowledge of Buddhism goes, but hopefully that gives you a starting point.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Visionary
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Matt

Points: 12,802, Level: 16 Points: 12,802, Level: 16 Points: 12,802, Level: 16

Re: What Religion Am I>? - August 28th 2012, 10:26 AM

Sounds like Buddhism with a couple of deviations.

One million miles away...
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
LaCorrsa Offline
HP
Not a n00b

Name: Josh

Points: 10,182, Level: 14 Points: 10,182, Level: 14 Points: 10,182, Level: 14

Re: What Religion Am I>? - August 30th 2012, 06:46 AM

You and only you can determine your "religion" as it is defined by you. The difference between religion and church is this: Religion is your relationship with the divine, however it may be perceived weather you believe in a god, many gods or none at all. Its the relationship that dwells within you that counts. In my Opinion, you are a very spiritually adept person that yearns for that "something more". My advice to you is to not worry about labels of churches, dogmas, and other belief systems. Just try to be one with yourself and let your own spirit shine like it is undoubtedly meant to.

Love,Light, and Perfect Trust,

Corr

"A Sapling will bend, but over time, it becomes a mighty oak, with roots stretching far and wide. One tree can father a forest, but it is up to that tree to take root."- Hecate
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
joeblow9999 Offline
I'm back! (sorta)
Regular TeenHelper

Points: 9,718, Level: 14 Points: 9,718, Level: 14 Points: 9,718, Level: 14

Re: What Religion Am I>? - August 30th 2012, 09:05 AM

Yep, it doesn't sound like you really fit into any of the major organised religions, it's more of your own personal brand of spirituality. As others have said, there's not really any need to label yourself one way or the other. If you find that your spirituality is fulfilling and brings you peace, you're good.

Feel free to leave me a VM anytime, I don't bite. :3

“For me, I am driven by two main philosophies: know more today about the world than I knew yesterday, and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you.” ---Neil deGrasse Tyson
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Ashleylovesyou Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: What Religion Am I>? - August 30th 2012, 01:13 PM

It's not that I really want to label, I want to connect with people who believe in most of the same things as me. I like going to other churches and learning about different religions. I find it interesting and respectable. I was raised as a (hardcore) catholic, obviously I don't believe in the same things as Catholics do. When I go to church to find an inspirational message I feel like the people at the catholic churches that I go to push their beliefs on me. This is the only thing that I do not like. This makes me feel very disrespected because I am giving my respect to someone's beliefs and I am not getting the same respect of any for that matter. Where I live there is mainly catholic churches, so I am hoping to find out what I would "classify" myself as so I can 'google' organizations near by. I can look into Buddhism! Thanks!
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
ARootlessTree Offline
ಠ_ಠ
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Toz

Points: 15,333, Level: 18 Points: 15,333, Level: 18 Points: 15,333, Level: 18

Re: What Religion Am I>? - August 30th 2012, 04:42 PM

Try hanging with universal unitarians.