TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#161 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Points: 14,869, Level: 17 Points: 14,869, Level: 17 Points: 14,869, Level: 17

Re: What proof do you want? And in turn, what proof do you have? - April 1st 2009, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suniesha View Post
The quote in Jeremiah is re-insurance, if you believe you know GOD can handle anything. I mean He's also a Jealous GOD, when you get save you're supposed to worship Him and nothing else, so when you worship other things like t.v. for example.. He gets jealous.
And the adultery contradiction? That one you seemed to have completely ignored. So, look at the contradictions again and if you can, attempt to reason them out without giving irrelevant babble. I find it hard for an all-loving, kind god to be a jealous god, woops, that may be another contradiction in the making.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.K.
Right... so Bigfoots, fairies, leprechauns, werewolves, vampires, ghosts, FSM & ALL OTHER GODS currently worshiped exist as well ALL AT ONCE because if they didn't exist it's obviously the debate would have ended long time ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel
lol that was mean..

No, he's using pastor_of_youth's faulty logic and showing why/how it is faulty.
  (#162 (permalink)) Old
Don't give up, turn to JESUS!!
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: suniesha

Points: 15,287, Level: 18 Points: 15,287, Level: 18 Points: 15,287, Level: 18

Re: What proof do you want? And in turn, what proof do you have? - April 1st 2009, 07:31 PM

I didn't see that one, I'm on my phone, so I don't see ALL of it.

2nd cor. 5:13
GREAT HOPE COMES FROM FAITH IN GOD!!!!

(#163 (permalink)) Old
Grizabella Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jessica

Points: 14,981, Level: 17 Points: 14,981, Level: 17 Points: 14,981, Level: 17

Re: What proof do you want? And in turn, what proof do you have? - April 1st 2009, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Then why not hold off responding until you have time to fully read and understand a post?

Not around so much now that school's started

"Live a good life.
If there are gods and they are just,
then they will not care how devout you have been,
but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by.
If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them.
If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life
that will live on in the memories of your loved ones."
Marcus Aurelius
  (#164 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Points: 39,834, Level: 28 Points: 39,834, Level: 28 Points: 39,834, Level: 28

Re: What proof do you want? And in turn, what proof do you have? - April 1st 2009, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizabella View Post
Then why not hold off responding until you have time to fully read and understand a post?
Cause people will think you're backing down :P Come on. the Teenhelpers in the religion/spirituality forum have to be soldiers. Seriously.

Geek? Nerd? More like intellectual badass.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  (#165 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Points: 43,405, Level: 29 Points: 43,405, Level: 29 Points: 43,405, Level: 29

Re: What proof do you want? And in turn, what proof do you have? - April 1st 2009, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xHolyValorx View Post
Cause people will think you're backing down :P Come on. the Teenhelpers in the religion/spirituality forum have to be soldiers. Seriously.
I am on my phone 99% of the time as well but keep post short so fingers don't get tired

(#166 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: What proof do you want? And in turn, what proof do you have? - April 1st 2009, 10:35 PM

Quote:
More lame excuses...

Quote:
They have to have intelligence, ability to right coherently and not contradict themselves every other post. And yes, if you don't respond, it may seem like you're backing down, however, just take a bit more time, go to a computer and answer. Not a very difficult task. Also, I have to wonder, are you defending her because you're of the same faith?
  (#167 (permalink)) Old
Grizabella Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jessica

Points: 14,981, Level: 17 Points: 14,981, Level: 17 Points: 14,981, Level: 17

Re: What proof do you want? And in turn, what proof do you have? - April 1st 2009, 10:47 PM

Ok lol, back to the discussion, whatever it was before. I honestly don't really remember what this thread is about. But I'm sure it's not about talking on the phone and typing at the same time lol.

Not around so much now that school's started

"Live a good life.
If there are gods and they are just,
then they will not care how devout you have been,
but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by.
If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them.
If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life
that will live on in the memories of your loved ones."
Marcus Aurelius
  (#168 (permalink)) Old
Double X Offline
bee boop
I've been here a while

Name: Kyle

Points: 16,164, Level: 18 Points: 16,164, Level: 18 Points: 16,164, Level: 18

Re: What proof do you want? And in turn, what proof do you have? - April 1st 2009, 11:31 PM

I can kinda understand Agnostics, but organized religion...eh. Do you think you would have been a baptist if you were born in Siberia? I think many organized religions are too culture based, and that influences your faith more than anything else. If any of you religious people were born in Yemen, I bet you would be muslims.
  (#169 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Re: What proof do you want? And in turn, what proof do you have? - April 1st 2009, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double X View Post
I can kinda understand Agnostics, but organized religion...eh. Do you think you would have been a baptist if you were born in Siberia? I think many organized religions are too culture based, and that influences your faith more than anything else. If any of you religious people were born in Yemen, I bet you would be muslims.
I actually agree with you. Organized religion has become a "society" where you are either accepted or disapproved of. I've learned that some people accept you for who you are. As a person. And others accept you based on how little or how much "sinning" you do. Organized religion has it's ups and downs. I don't go as much as I used to... Maybe because of the acceptance issue, I'm not sure.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  (#170 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Re: What proof do you want? And in turn, what proof do you have? - April 1st 2009, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourNightmare View Post
More lame excuses...

They have to have intelligence, ability to right coherently and not contradict themselves every other post. And yes, if you don't respond, it may seem like you're backing down, however, just take a bit more time, go to a computer and answer. Not a very difficult task. Also, I have to wonder, are you defending her because you're of the same faith?
No. And It's not fair to assume that I'm defending her because she's of my
faith. I didn't even defend her, I made a point.

I've noticed that the most controversial debates are usually only held up by the intelligent, sophisticated, and open-minded people on TH. Don't you notice that it's usually the same people on the forum? It's Gram Negative, YouNightmare, Grizabella, Chelsea-Marie, Double X... See what I mean? If anyone takes you seriously in this forum you have to be educated, or you get stomped out :P

(#171 (permalink)) Old
Gram Negative Offline
Student
Junior TeenHelper

Points: 10,263, Level: 14 Points: 10,263, Level: 14 Points: 10,263, Level: 14

Re: What proof do you want? And in turn, what proof do you have? - April 2nd 2009, 01:35 AM

Quote:
I don't but you could.
Huh? Then what would you call that?
  (#172 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: What proof do you want? And in turn, what proof do you have? - April 2nd 2009, 02:41 AM

Quote:
No. And It's not fair to assume that I'm defending her because she's of my
faith. I didn't even defend her, I made a point.

I've noticed that the most controversial debates are usually only held up by the intelligent, sophisticated, and open-minded people on TH. Don't you notice that it's usually the same people on the forum? It's Gram Negative, YouNightmare, Grizabella, Chelsea-Marie, Double X... See what I mean? If anyone takes you seriously in this forum you have to be educated, or you get stomped out :P
Any other TH member can come and debate in here. However, if they cant keep up mentally, then it somewhat sifts out the stupider ones. I don't know what you expect me to say. Yes, the intelligent ones typically give the controversial debates. If you want, make a thread for the less intelligent ones. I see what you mean: the smarter people and usually the more regular ones can give a good debate, the stupider ones cannot.

If you're less educated, then you tend to give lamer responses or just dance around the question, or even contradict yourself. If you are not so bright but you don't do those things, then you don't get stomped out as much.

The smarter ones win
  (#173 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Points: 25,325, Level: 23 Points: 25,325, Level: 23 Points: 25,325, Level: 23

Re: What proof do you want? And in turn, what proof do you have? - April 2nd 2009, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Any other TH member can come and debate in here. However, if they cant keep up mentally, then it somewhat sifts out the stupider ones. I don't know what you expect me to say. Yes, the intelligent ones typically give the controversial debates. If you want, make a thread for the less intelligent ones. I see what you mean: the smarter people and usually the more regular ones can give a good debate, the stupider ones cannot.

If you're less educated, then you tend to give lamer responses or just dance around the question, or even contradict yourself. If you are not so bright but you don't do those things, then you don't get stomped out as much.

The smarter ones win
Kinda like natural selection
  (#174 (permalink)) Old
Gram Negative Offline
Student
Junior TeenHelper

Re: What proof do you want? And in turn, what proof do you have? - April 2nd 2009, 03:09 AM

Uhhhh... I donno about that. I would be more pleased if a person actually looked into what I say than making them look stupid.
  (#175 (permalink)) Old
Youth Pastor Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Youth Pastor

Points: 10,617, Level: 15 Points: 10,617, Level: 15 Points: 10,617, Level: 15

Re: What proof do you want? And in turn, what proof do you have? - April 2nd 2009, 03:33 AM

The "stupid" ones and "intelligent" ones is something I don't see as encouraging for this site. The "intelligent" ones probably have a more philosophical mindset and are able to debate on a higher level. It's not anyone else's fault that some people can't hold up to that. On the flip side there is something the "stupid" ones can do that the "intelligent" ones can't which makes us all equal and not better than anyone. I put everything in quotes to show the equality on this site.
The existence of God is something that will be debated until Christ comes back. For anyone who has been saved knows that God is real because of the feeling either as you were praying or afterwards of the relief of burden. However, because we can't see Him it's obvious people debate it. There is historical evidence, written documents (Josephus) outside of the Bible talking about Christ, and also the Bible was written over a span of thousands of years with a 400 year gap in between the OT and NT. Science also supports the Bible in ways and I'm aware that people also think it's contradicting. Here are a few ways science supports it.

To the world you might be one person but to one person you might be the world

Failure isn't when you get knocked down, it's when you don't get back up

Last edited by Youth Pastor; April 2nd 2009 at 04:35 AM. Reason: For the sake of argument I left the website out.
  (#176 (permalink)) Old
Gram Negative Offline
Student
Junior TeenHelper

Re: What proof do you want? And in turn, what proof do you have? - April 2nd 2009, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastor_of_youth View Post
That website is bs "Yet, no scientific, provable evidence supporting the theory of evolution has emerged since Charles Darwin popularized it in 1859."
http://www.clarifyingchristianity.com/creation.shtml

I just read that website and it straight up LIES about scientific facts. You wanna debate that? That stuff is a cakewalk compared to virology and physical chemistry.

I find that a 100% ignorant statement considering the fact that I am going to be graduating with BS in Biochemistry and Biotechnology and the fact that 99% of scientists understand and accept the theory of evolution.

Sorry but now I will say it: That website is for STUPID people that do not understand science or it's for people full of blind faith. Sadly there are scientists that straight up said that they had to ignore their scientific knowledge.

Last edited by Gram Negative; April 2nd 2009 at 03:53 AM.
  (#177 (permalink)) Old
Youth Pastor Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: What proof do you want? And in turn, what proof do you have? - April 2nd 2009, 03:54 AM

I've heard science only goes so far in explaining creation and then they stop because they can't explain some things. Is that true?

(#178 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Re: What proof do you want? And in turn, what proof do you have? - April 2nd 2009, 03:57 AM

Some users also don't want to take the time and write a full page of something No one will want to read..

(#179 (permalink)) Old
Gram Negative Offline
Student
Junior TeenHelper

Re: What proof do you want? And in turn, what proof do you have? - April 2nd 2009, 03:57 AM

Quote:
I've heard science only goes so far in explaining creation and then they stop because they can't explain some things. Is that true?
Yes, they stop until more evidence is presented to support a certain hypothesis. This goes for abiogenesis which is currently made up of various hypothesises that still need more evidence and support to become theories like evolution.

However, science never stops trying to explain the world. The difference is that it doesn't say that "THIS IS THE LAW", unlike religion.
  (#180 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Points: 25,325, Level: 23 Points: 25,325, Level: 23 Points: 25,325, Level: 23

Re: What proof do you want? And in turn, what proof do you have? - April 2nd 2009, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Science's knowledge at the moment goes back to Planck Time after the universe came into being. However, science never stops looking for the answers. It was only about 100 years ago that the "plum pudding" model of the atom was proved wrong by Rutherford. I trust that science will find the answer especially since top scientists are no longer silenced by religion

Short posts do not mean poor posts, there is a lot to be said for conciseness, besides 1680 and 1440 are both wide monitors making what seems like an essay in quick reply only a paragraph
  (#181 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: What proof do you want? And in turn, what proof do you have? - April 2nd 2009, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper Sonic View Post
Kinda like natural selection
That...that's like... a mechanism of evolution...

Quote:
The "stupid" ones and "intelligent" ones is something I don't see as encouraging for this site. The "intelligent" ones probably have a more philosophical mindset and are able to debate on a higher level. It's not anyone else's fault that some people can't hold up to that. On the flip side there is something the "stupid" ones can do that the "intelligent" ones can't which makes us all equal and not better than anyone. I put everything in quotes to show the equality on this site.

http://www.clarifyingchristianity.com/science.shtml
No, I'm sure intelligent ones can also do that. The intelligent ones may also have more academic knowledge, especially on the science side.

"Think it's contradicting"? No, it IS contradicting.

I'm not going to bother to say how inaccurate and horrible their arguments are on that website.

Quote:
They don't stop and give up. Research is still being conducted, partially because it takes effort to describe the mechanisms rather than say someone (i.e. god) did it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDGE View Post
Some users also don't want to take the time and write a full page of something No one will want to read..
Very true.
  (#182 (permalink)) Old
Youth Pastor Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: What proof do you want? And in turn, what proof do you have? - April 2nd 2009, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gram Negative View Post
Sorry but now I will say it: That website is for STUPID people that do not understand science or it's for people full of blind faith. Sadly there are scientists that straight up said that they had to ignore their scientific knowledge.
I'm just trying to have a mature debate on a topic that I honestly want to hear other people's opinions. It seems though every time I state one I turn out to be stupid for it. I want to know why people believe what they believe. I'm just trying to help, not be stupid. Sorry mods if this is getting crazy.

(#183 (permalink)) Old
Gram Negative Offline
Student
Junior TeenHelper

Re: What proof do you want? And in turn, what proof do you have? - April 2nd 2009, 04:35 AM

Quote:
I'm just trying to have a mature debate on a topic that I honestly want to hear other people's opinions. It seems though every time I state one I turn out to be stupid for it. I want to know why people believe what they believe. I'm just trying to help, not be stupid. Sorry mods if this is getting crazy.
Ok then, where would you like to start? Evolution? Or the concept of science in general? I actually wanted to make a sticky thread in this forum where I would explain all the basics of science but never got around to it.
  (#184 (permalink)) Old
Youth Pastor Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: What proof do you want? And in turn, what proof do you have? - April 2nd 2009, 04:40 AM

What about a Creation vs. Evolution discussion? Non-Christians could state there belief on how the Earth was created and Christians could back up their beliefs on how God created the earth. The sensitive thing here is to not jump on other beliefs. This will be just a this is what we believe thread and hopefully we can keep up with each other as far as topics go.

(#185 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: What proof do you want? And in turn, what proof do you have? - April 2nd 2009, 04:42 AM

I'm not making excuses, 1 it's true and 2 it dumb cuz ppl r gonna argue and argue and argue and hey, how bout some more arguing to the point where it turnes into a full circle cuz everyones gonna believe what they believe.

(#186 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: What proof do you want? And in turn, what proof do you have? - April 2nd 2009, 04:43 AM

Quote:
The problem is if you're using that website you gave to educate yourself. It's warped science completely and is utter garbage. If you want to debate, then you'll need to understand that proof is needed from reliable sources. Otherwise, it's disregarded. I'm all for having a mature debate, in fact, I do like them, however, science (especially evolution) and religion tends to have the science person understand evolution while the religious one not and religion gets applied to science. That's where it almost always goes to shit.

If it's about science, myself, Gram Negative, Hyper Sonic and too many others to list are in university studying science, although each with a bit of a different focus academically. If it's about evolution or science in general, I'm all for it.

Quote:
I'm not making excuses, 1 it's true and 2 it dumb cuz ppl r gonna argue and argue and argue and hey, how bout some more arguing to the point where it turnes into a full circle cuz everyones gonna believe what they believe.
Saying it was on your phone, you couldn't see all of it, blah blah blah, is an excuse. Yes, people are going to debate. Would you rather have nobody debate, nobody challenge anyone else's beliefs? If so, then have fun with getting some progress.
  (#187 (permalink)) Old
Gram Negative Offline
Student
Junior TeenHelper

Re: What proof do you want? And in turn, what proof do you have? - April 2nd 2009, 04:47 AM

Quote:
What about a Creation vs. Evolution discussion? Non-Christians could state there belief on how the Earth was created and Christians could back up their beliefs on how God created the earth. The sensitive thing here is to not jump on other beliefs. This will be just a this is what we believe thread and hopefully we can keep up with each other as far as topics go.
Except it seems both sides will use completely different parameters.

I have spent entire threads talking about basic scientific principles that have nothing to do with evolution. That is how rediculous it gets. How am I supposed to debate evolution when the people I talk to don't know what a hypothesis is, a theory, how the scientific method works, where new hypotheses come from, etc.

Quote:
Is it true because the Bible says it's true?
  (#188 (permalink)) Old
Youth Pastor Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: What proof do you want? And in turn, what proof do you have? - April 2nd 2009, 04:51 AM

So I guess the conclusion would be agree to disagree.

(#189 (permalink)) Old
Gram Negative Offline
Student
Junior TeenHelper

Re: What proof do you want? And in turn, what proof do you have? - April 2nd 2009, 04:56 AM

Quote:
So I guess the conclusion would be agree to disagree.
Not exactly. One side is just not very knowledgeable about science which would sadly include most of the population. That also takes into account that most people don't know sh!t about medicine. So when it comes to medicine who are you going to listen to? When it comes to science who are you going to listen to? The few quacks that literally oppose everything from top scholars?

And yes there are doctors that will literally deny medical care to people for religious reasons which is 100% unethical.
  (#190 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: What proof do you want? And in turn, what proof do you have? - April 2nd 2009, 05:02 AM

And yes there are doctors that will literally deny medical care to people for religious reasons which is 100% unethical.[/quote]

I've heard of that and I disagree with that b/c no one should be turned down b/c of their religion.

And I think its true b/c of what I believe and the bible. And yournightmare I don't mean to be rude, I just always have to deal with this and it gets really hard to always defend what you believe when numerous people come at you at the same time. Not just on here but in my school and everything.

(#191 (permalink)) Old
Youth Pastor Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: What proof do you want? And in turn, what proof do you have? - April 2nd 2009, 05:08 AM

Quote:
t gets really hard to always defend what you believe when numerous people come at you at the same time.
It does get frustrating when it appears we get dirt throw in our face for believing but this is what Christ talked about is the world hating us Christians. However, I wonder how many Christians want to cram religion down people's throats so much that we wind up throwing the dirt. I'm definitely not this type of Christian and some people on TH have seen that.

(#192 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Re: What proof do you want? And in turn, what proof do you have? - April 2nd 2009, 05:14 AM

Quote:
And yes there are doctors that will literally deny medical care to people for religious reasons which is 100% unethical.
I've heard of that and I disagree with that b/c no one should be turned down b/c of their religion.

And I think its true b/c of what I believe and the bible. And yournightmare I don't mean to be rude, I just always have to deal with this and it gets really hard to always defend what you believe when numerous people come at you at the same time. Not just on here but in my school and everything.[/quote]

There will always be people who disagree with you and there will be people who agree with you its a part of life. Some just take it personally.

(#193 (permalink)) Old
Gram Negative Offline
Student
Junior TeenHelper

Re: What proof do you want? And in turn, what proof do you have? - April 2nd 2009, 05:14 AM

Quote:
But it's okay to ignore science because of one's religion?

Quote:
And I think its true b/c of what I believe and the bible.
But that doesn't make it true. From a personal point it might be true but from a logical and reasonable standpoint it all depends on faith.

Quote:
It does get frustrating when it appears we get dirt throw in our face for believing but this is what Christ talked about is the world hating us Christians. However, I wonder how many Christians want to cram religion down people's throats so much that we wind up throwing the dirt. I'm definitely not this type of Christian and some people on TH have seen that.
Christ never told you to put faith above everything else or ignore everything that contradicts your beliefs.
  (#194 (permalink)) Old
Youth Pastor Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: What proof do you want? And in turn, what proof do you have? - April 2nd 2009, 05:33 AM

The thing that Christ did tell us to put above anything was others before ourselves. On dealing with faith, yes that is important, but something greater than that is love which is what I hope us Christians get across on this site. We knew what it was like to be without Christ and know what it's like with Christ and there is a difference. You're right that Christ never told us to back down. Anyone who knows anything about Christ knows He didn't back down, even to the death on the cross when He could have prevented that. He didn't even back down from death because He rose three days later and there are witnesses for that also.

Last edited by Youth Pastor; April 2nd 2009 at 05:43 AM. Reason: The first sentence originally sounded arrogant.
  (#195 (permalink)) Old
Gram Negative Offline
Student
Junior TeenHelper

Re: What proof do you want? And in turn, what proof do you have? - April 2nd 2009, 05:42 AM

Quote:
The thing that Christ did tell us to put above anything was ourselves as Christians. On dealing with faith, yes that is important, but something greater than that is love which is what I hope us Christians get across on this site. We knew what it was like to be without Christ and know what it's like with Christ and there is a difference. You're right that Christ never told us to back down. Anyone who knows anything about Christ knows He didn't back down, even to the death on the cross when He could have prevented that. He didn't even back down from death because He rose three days later and there are witnesses for that also.
Where exactly does it say that you should put faith above everything?

Just because Christ didn't back down doesn't mean you should ignore everything that is logical, rational, and backed up by concrete empirical evidence. Do not compare your situation with Christ; the two have nothing in common with each other. There are Christian Scientists that ignore medicine and let their kids die. You are following the same logic when it comes to ignoring scientific ideas that contradict your beliefs.

And please don't start with the witnesses. The majority of the Bible isn't accepted even in philosophical classes as a reliable source unless of course parts of it are supported by independent sources from history.
  (#196 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: What proof do you want? And in turn, what proof do you have? - April 2nd 2009, 06:53 AM

Quote:

And I think its true b/c of what I believe and the bible. And yournightmare I don't mean to be rude, I just always have to deal with this and it gets really hard to always defend what you believe when numerous people come at you at the same time. Not just on here but in my school and everything.[/quote]

Right, so the bible says it's true, therefore, it must be true? The bible says god exists because god says he exists, therefore, it must be true that god exists? That second question is circular reasoning at its best.

Unfortunately, it's not my problem nor do I really care how your life outside of TH is. This is a debate, not a soap opera. Perhaps if you listened to why you're being ridiculed on here, you can apply that outside of TH.

Quote:
Don't act like you're the only group who gets dirt in their faces. Atheists get quite a lot as well. Trust me, a hell of a lot ram religion down people's throats. I'd go as far as to say the majority does, whether they want to or if it's simply a casual debate and it ends up happening.

Quote:
I've been in these types of debates, and it is rare that I'll find a christian who not only knows what evolution, the scientific method, etc.. are, but can look at it objectively without putting their beliefs into the mix. I'd love to debate creation vs. evolution, however, before starting, you have to educate both sides on the faith or science. That alone can be frustrating as it usually can lead to shoving stuff down people's throats.

If one side doesn't understand evolution or faith in some detail, then the debate will fail because one or both sides are going "LALALALALALA not listening" and that's not an objective debate. I can honestly say, as can be seen on TH, some christians automatically reject scientific theories before even entering the debate. Therefore, there's a huge bias to be overcome which usually results in a fail. The same applies to atheists who reject faith.

I think that educating both sides, in person or online, is very difficult.

The next thing to understand is that science demands proof, faith does not. Therefore, if I give proof, then you are usually expected to counter it with proof, however, that isn't always the case; it's faith, hence, non-proof. In an objective debate, that is disregarded immediately. If it is a subjective debate, then proof isn't valued a lot and so, it becomes rather pointless.

I have a few christian friends at university, in biology, and they are the exception. They understand science and their faith very well, accept both, don't contradict and can debate and analyze each independently. That is what makes for an excellent candidate to debate with, along with no insults no preaching, no converting, etc... .

Either someone writes up a very detailed post or gives good links to describe the scientific method, evolution, etc..., faith, god, etc..., or we're starting off on uneven and unstable terms, which is bound to make the debate unstable.
  (#197 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Re: What proof do you want? And in turn, what proof do you have? - April 2nd 2009, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Ha ha. I used to be the "1 Christian Fanatic" on TH. This site is a training ground, and you have to use everything in your power to attain peoples intrigue, attention, and sometimes respect (If you can earn it) I believe I was 13 when I joined TH. I'm now 18.

I understand what you mean by "dirt" it's always going to be there, and understand it's not our faults. It's the fault of the "religious"

(#198 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Re: What proof do you want? And in turn, what proof do you have? - April 2nd 2009, 07:16 AM

Again... The Evolution Vs. Creation debate is overrated. I'll end that now. Both sides are correct.

Something must be created for something to evolve.

We obviously have proof of evolution, and there couldn't be evolution without some form of creation, therefore, end of subject. Case dismissed.[/size][/font]

Last edited by Algernon; April 2nd 2009 at 07:18 AM. Reason: wording
  (#199 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: What proof do you want? And in turn, what proof do you have? - April 2nd 2009, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Right, so the bible says it's true, therefore, it must be true? The bible says god exists because god says he exists, therefore, it must be true that god exists? That second question is circular reasoning at its best.

Unfortunately, it's not my problem nor do I really care how your life outside of TH is. This is a debate, not a soap opera. Perhaps if you listened to why you're being ridiculed on here, you can apply that outside of TH.

Don't act like you're the only group who gets dirt in their faces. Atheists get quite a lot as well. Trust me, a hell of a lot ram religion down people's throats. I'd go as far as to say the majority does, whether they want to or if it's simply a casual debate and it ends up happening.

I've been in these types of debates, and it is rare that I'll find a christian who not only knows what evolution, the scientific method, etc.. are, but can look at it objectively without putting their beliefs into the mix. I'd love to debate creation vs. evolution, however, before starting, you have to educate both sides on the faith or science. That alone can be frustrating as it usually can lead to shoving stuff down people's throats.

If one side doesn't understand evolution or faith in some detail, then the debate will fail because one or both sides are going "LALALALALALA not listening" and that's not an objective debate. I can honestly say, as can be seen on TH, some christians automatically reject scientific theories before even entering the debate. Therefore, there's a huge bias to be overcome which usually results in a fail. The same applies to atheists who reject faith.

I think that educating both sides, in person or online, is very difficult.

The next thing to understand is that science demands proof, faith does not. Therefore, if I give proof, then you are usually expected to counter it with proof, however, that isn't always the case; it's faith, hence, non-proof. In an objective debate, that is disregarded immediately. If it is a subjective debate, then proof isn't valued a lot and so, it becomes rather pointless.

I have a few christian friends at university, in biology, and they are the exception. They understand science and their faith very well, accept both, don't contradict and can debate and analyze each independently. That is what makes for an excellent candidate to debate with, along with no insults no preaching, no converting, etc... .

Either someone writes up a very detailed post or gives good links to describe the scientific method, evolution, etc..., faith, god, etc..., or we're starting off on uneven and unstable terms, which is bound to make the debate unstable.

Again... The Evolution Vs. Creation debate never pans out. I'll end that now. Both sides are correct.

We obviously have proof of evolution, and there couldn't be evolution without some form of creation, therefore, end of subject. Case dismissed.
[/quote]

Quote buttons not working properly?

Anyways, bolded part: attempting to say christianity explains the creation and disregarding the big bang? I'm unclear as to what exactly you mean by "some form of creation", which form? If it's big bang, then creationists aren't doing too well. If it's christianity, then it's currently a draw until science finds more information, which it's currently doing.
  (#200 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Re: What proof do you want? And in turn, what proof do you have? - April 2nd 2009, 07:29 AM

Quote:

Again... The Evolution Vs. Creation debate never pans out. I'll end that now. Both sides are correct.

We obviously have proof of evolution, and there couldn't be evolution without some form of creation, therefore, end of subject. Case dismissed.
Quote buttons not working properly?

Anyways, bolded part: attempting to say christianity explains the creation and disregarding the big bang? I'm unclear as to what exactly you mean by "some form of creation", which form? If it's big bang, then creationists aren't doing too well. If it's christianity, then it's currently a draw until science finds more information, which it's currently doing.[/quote]

It's late, this will (I put this'll first, lol) be my last post for the night...

My point exactly, it's a draw, and both sides are correct. It doesn't matter how it was created because it's still creation. Something, I believe God did, created the Earth. And how do we not know that Gods power is actually the power of science, hmmm? Sorry, I'm sleepy.

Closed Thread