TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

  • Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!


Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
girlfromsocal Offline
inandoutofhere
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
girlfromsocal's Avatar
 
Age: 26
Gender: without getting pg I was born both but am allfemale now
Location: anywhere

Posts: 346
Join Date: December 6th 2011

Why do people assume in only one religion that a certain GOD applies? - March 22nd 2012, 01:11 AM

deleting... Because I realize I got my answer so I'm done thanks

Last edited by girlfromsocal; March 22nd 2012 at 11:32 PM.
   
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Member
Welcome me, I'm new!
*
 
melancholicangel's Avatar
 
Name: Adam
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Location: Missouri

Posts: 17
Join Date: March 4th 2012

Re: Why do people assume in only one religion that a certain GOD applies? - March 22nd 2012, 01:37 AM

In Christianity, Muhammed (sp?) is a false prophet. Believing him to be a false prophet, we do not believe in the god that he preaches, despite his claiming it to be the god of Abraham.
  Send a message via Skype™ to melancholicangel 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
girlfromsocal Offline
inandoutofhere
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
girlfromsocal's Avatar
 
Age: 26
Gender: without getting pg I was born both but am allfemale now
Location: anywhere

Posts: 346
Join Date: December 6th 2011

Re: Why do people assume in only one religion that a certain GOD applies? - March 22nd 2012, 03:18 AM

yeah I know. We don't believe Jesus was GOD just a prophet.

But mohammad (sp) isn't GOD. We believe in different prophets. But since they believe one GOD they believe in the same GOD. Different religions still... Prophets are irrelevent.

Like I said that's what you think but by our religious criterion it's anyone who believes in one GOD. At my perspective as a person of the faith that's what is taught.

We don't adhere to the bible. So it's irrelevent what it says with this

It's like how you think we're all GOD's children but of course I don't believe myself to be a child of god. It's anyone who believes in one GOD. IF you don't believe in one I wouldn't be surprised because I never thought you did. It's just what's taught and believed in our religion. Probably something else you'll disagree on...

Last edited by girlfromsocal; March 22nd 2012 at 04:00 AM.
   
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Member
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
chickenonsteroids's Avatar
 

Posts: 509
Join Date: August 9th 2011

Re: Why do people assume in only one religion that a certain GOD applies? - March 22nd 2012, 06:55 AM

I don't know what you're talking about. Could you please explain without capitalising god all the time please?


Hey, guess why i smile a lot... because it's worth it

People who don't want you to think are never your friends.
   
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
ThisWillDestroyYou's Avatar
 
Name: Michael
Gender: Male
Location: USA

Posts: 1,050
Join Date: July 5th 2011

Re: Why do people assume in only one religion that a certain GOD applies? - March 22nd 2012, 04:10 PM

I am a Christian. I believe that Jesus is G-D, how is that the same? I, on the otherhand, don't limit G-D by saying everyone who disagrees with me is going to Gehenna. On the contrary, I believe many people, even atheists, can believe in Christ as the only G-D without consciously knowing it. Likewise, I believe the same about many Muslims, namely Sufi Mystics. The bible says those who contain the fruits of G-D, namely, love for our enemies, is a believer in Christ. It is then, therefore, not for me to condemn others, but to.hope in G-D to separate us from evil. But if you were to as how to get to Heaven, I'd only point to Christ.


"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan
   
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Megan1 Offline
Member
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
Megan1's Avatar
 
Name: Megan
Gender: Female
Location: USA

Posts: 928
Join Date: February 6th 2010

Re: Why do people assume in only one religion that a certain GOD applies? - March 22nd 2012, 04:42 PM

The bible says that anyone who believes in anything other than the fact that Jesus is Lord and died and rose again to pay the penalty for our sins believes in a false God. So for Christians, that's why.
   
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
ThisWillDestroyYou's Avatar
 
Name: Michael
Gender: Male
Location: USA

Posts: 1,050
Join Date: July 5th 2011

Re: Why do people assume in only one religion that a certain GOD applies? - March 22nd 2012, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1 View Post
The bible says that anyone who believes in anything other than the fact that Jesus is Lord and died and rose again to pay the penalty for our sins believes in a false God. So for Christians, that's why.
I agree, but I have to point out, in the Gospels, Christ said many will come to Heaven not knowing they're saved. However, He lets them in because they did the will of His Father. Therefore, to say only those who consciously believe in something are the only ones who will be saved, is quite an err. It is very possible for people to believe and not know, just as it is possible to not believe but think you do. It's rather harmful to our own soul to be quite judgmental. It's better, rather, to hope in Him who judges rightly, and in the meantime, continue in Love. After all, the greatest is Love, it covers a multitude of sins.

And it is through their Love that we recognize them as Disciples.


"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan

Last edited by ThisWillDestroyYou; March 22nd 2012 at 06:39 PM.
   
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Megan1 Offline
Member
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
Megan1's Avatar
 
Name: Megan
Gender: Female
Location: USA

Posts: 928
Join Date: February 6th 2010

Re: Why do people assume in only one religion that a certain GOD applies? - March 22nd 2012, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Of Mike and Men View Post
Christ said many will come to Heaven not knowing they're saved. However, He lets them in because they did the will of His Father.
Where do you think it says that?
   
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
girlfromsocal Offline
inandoutofhere
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
girlfromsocal's Avatar
 
Age: 26
Gender: without getting pg I was born both but am allfemale now
Location: anywhere

Posts: 346
Join Date: December 6th 2011

Re: Why do people assume in only one religion that a certain GOD applies? - March 22nd 2012, 07:40 PM

I feel this post is redundant.

Last edited by girlfromsocal; March 22nd 2012 at 11:33 PM.
   
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
ThisWillDestroyYou's Avatar
 
Name: Michael
Gender: Male
Location: USA

Posts: 1,050
Join Date: July 5th 2011

Re: Why do people assume in only one religion that a certain GOD applies? - March 22nd 2012, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1 View Post
Where do you think it says that?
Matthew 25. Which, is important to note, those who thought they were in, weren't. I can tell you my entire interpretation, if you wish, but I think what Christ is referencing is quite plain. Unless we go about distorting texts to fit our doctrinal beliefs and not the other way around.

But also, logic tells me this is true.

You, I believe, would admit that it is possible to think you are saved, but still go to Hell. What the Bible calls, "illegitimate children." Likewise, it is possible to think you don't believe, but do. I don't believe that is a far stretch from your doctrinal stance, and definitely from experience or the Bible.

I, as always, openly admit, my understanding is human and always feeble. I am no scholar, of the Bible, much less. I just rely on Him in my weaknesses.


"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan

Last edited by ThisWillDestroyYou; March 22nd 2012 at 07:50 PM.
   
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Member
Welcome me, I'm new!
*
 
melancholicangel's Avatar
 
Name: Adam
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Location: Missouri

Posts: 17
Join Date: March 4th 2012

Re: Why do people assume in only one religion that a certain GOD applies? - March 22nd 2012, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlfromsocal View Post
really don't get what the bible says has to do with my beliefs. Being a muslim it is irrelevent we believe the GOD of the torah is the same as ours. So the Christian beliefs really don't matter.
Christian beliefs don't matter? I understand you don't believe the bible, however I do as a Christian, and, I can tell you, that Christ being the messiah does not have any prophets after him. Are you aware that Allah originated as an arabian pagan mood god? Belief in the same god of the Torah? Really now? Care to explain this then? Sahih al-Bukhari 4:52:177 Narrated Abu Huraira: Allah's Apostle said, "The Hour will not be established until you fight with the Jews, and the stone behind which a Jew will be hiding will say. "O Muslim! There is a Jew hiding behind me, so kill him."
  Send a message via Skype™ to melancholicangel 
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
girlfromsocal Offline
inandoutofhere
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
girlfromsocal's Avatar
 
Age: 26
Gender: without getting pg I was born both but am allfemale now
Location: anywhere

Posts: 346
Join Date: December 6th 2011

March 22nd 2012, 08:05 PM

yeah my point exactly ALLAH is not a muslim word it's an arabic word... That's why I don't use it....


we have no apostles... lol and if that's a hadith I don't believe in hadiths. I only believe in the quran

Judaism is actually my second favorite faith. I actually wish this society was more Jewish. They seem more religious. And they're closer to my faith. My mom's bff was Jewish. She's to me just like a Muslim to me orthodox type. I can go to her house and I feel as though I'm home... I am actually well influenced by the Jewish faith.

Last edited by girlfromsocal; March 22nd 2012 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Merging posts
   
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Member
Welcome me, I'm new!
*
 
melancholicangel's Avatar
 
Name: Adam
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Location: Missouri

Posts: 17
Join Date: March 4th 2012

Re: Why do people assume in only one religion that a certain GOD applies? - March 22nd 2012, 08:11 PM

Sunni or Shia?
  Send a message via Skype™ to melancholicangel 
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict
************
 
Coffee.'s Avatar
 
Name: Traci
Age: 26
Gender: she/her/hers
Location: North Carolina

Posts: 8,147
Blog Entries: 639
Join Date: October 29th 2009

Re: Why do people assume in only one religion that a certain GOD applies? - March 22nd 2012, 08:11 PM

As an Atheist, I believe you guys worship the same God... It's a monotheistic God coming from the same religion, they all evolved off of each other. So at least I have your back? Even if I don't believe in your God.


I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
girlfromsocal Offline
inandoutofhere
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
girlfromsocal's Avatar
 
Age: 26
Gender: without getting pg I was born both but am allfemale now
Location: anywhere

Posts: 346
Join Date: December 6th 2011

Re: Why do people assume in only one religion that a certain GOD applies? - March 22nd 2012, 08:25 PM

neither

thanks my dad was agnostic too but my question was why people thought everyone thought their God applied particularly to their religion?

Last edited by girlfromsocal; March 22nd 2012 at 08:40 PM.
   
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
Megan1 Offline
Member
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
Megan1's Avatar
 
Name: Megan
Gender: Female
Location: USA

Posts: 928
Join Date: February 6th 2010

Re: Why do people assume in only one religion that a certain GOD applies? - March 22nd 2012, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Of Mike and Men View Post
Matthew 25. Which, is important to note, those who thought they were in, weren't. I can tell you my entire interpretation, if you wish, but I think what Christ is referencing is quite plain. Unless we go about distorting texts to fit our doctrinal beliefs and not the other way around.

But also, logic tells me this is true.

You, I believe, would admit that it is possible to think you are saved, but still go to Hell. What the Bible calls, "illegitimate children." Likewise, it is possible to think you don't believe, but do. I don't believe that is a far stretch from your doctrinal stance, and definitely from experience or the Bible.

I, as always, openly admit, my understanding is human and always feeble. I am no scholar, of the Bible, much less. I just rely on Him in my weaknesses.
I'm going to reply to you in a private message, because I don't want to confuse the people here who aren't Christians with all of this deep doctrine stuff- they need to know the gospel before all of the little details.
   
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
ThisWillDestroyYou's Avatar
 
Name: Michael
Gender: Male
Location: USA

Posts: 1,050
Join Date: July 5th 2011

Re: Why do people assume in only one religion that a certain GOD applies? - March 22nd 2012, 08:54 PM

I don't understand your flow of logic. You also completely avoided my question.

If Christians believe in the same G-D as you do, then why don't you believe Jesus is G-D, if Christians believe Jesus is G-D, not a prophet.

Then, in another post, you say the Christian beliefs don't matter. So, then, why were we included in your post whatsoever? And if you don't believe the Christian beliefs matter (which is apparently the belief in your G-D), you are essentially saying your G-D doesn't matter.

Just because we are monotheists, doesn't mean we believe in the same G-D.

Christians also believe in the Torah, but they interpret it different. It can thereby be claimed we contain some of the same books, and believe in the same books, but not the same G-D.

In regards as to why the Bible should matter in this thread, because you are asking others to share their beliefs. If my beliefs consists of what the Bible teaches, then I ought to be able to share my beliefs through textual criticism as to why I believe the way I do. Else-wise, I could say (similarly, as you have), "The Qur'an doesn't matter, I only believe the Bible," and use that as an argument to say that not all G-D's are the same.

Ironically, that is essentially what I have said through exposition, but I have not excluded Islamic people from being saved by Christ. Revealing that my belief isn't the traditional view of a Christian, that all Islamic people are going to Hell.

Sorry for sharing my beliefs.


"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan
   
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
girlfromsocal Offline
inandoutofhere
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
girlfromsocal's Avatar
 
Age: 26
Gender: without getting pg I was born both but am allfemale now
Location: anywhere

Posts: 346
Join Date: December 6th 2011

Re: Why do people assume in only one religion that a certain GOD applies? - March 22nd 2012, 09:05 PM

deleting...

Last edited by girlfromsocal; March 22nd 2012 at 11:32 PM.
   
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
Member
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
chickenonsteroids's Avatar
 

Posts: 509
Join Date: August 9th 2011

Re: Why do people assume in only one religion that a certain GOD applies? - March 22nd 2012, 09:16 PM

Well, I'm rather confused. Have you just come on here to say that muslims worship one god and the Bible is pointless because of your beliefs? Cool story... It really is. Please tell it again. Please.

The debate about whether you worship the same god has been going on for years and years. Muslims believe that Christians are astray because they worship Jesus when he was simply a prophet. The Jews believe that Jesus isn't the son of God.

Also I'd like to let you know that Islam is one of the younger religions of the three. If not the youngest. So if anyway plagerism is to be done it was done by Islam. Just letting you know.


Hey, guess why i smile a lot... because it's worth it

People who don't want you to think are never your friends.
   
  (#20 (permalink)) Old
girlfromsocal Offline
inandoutofhere
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
girlfromsocal's Avatar
 
Age: 26
Gender: without getting pg I was born both but am allfemale now
Location: anywhere

Posts: 346
Join Date: December 6th 2011

March 22nd 2012, 09:22 PM

Christians believe in different prophets eat pork and don't celebrate eid-el-fitr and a lot of other stuff. But it has nothing to do believing the same GOD. I believe differently about who can enter heaven than they do but I am not you I have to go by my own beliefs... I understand it now I guess that not everyone sees it that way because of christianity and other faiths have similar beliefs as well... I guess it's perspective and influence.

yeah you're seemingly overly offended sorry to hear that. But you got it all wrong. At this point you seem to be the only one on attack mode imo. Which is ok you can maybe calm down and understand what I'm talking about.

And actually Islam is actually by my beliefs an extension of Judaism of old of Moses we claim all prophets since Adam. Mohammad is no better than jesus moses or abraham. You got to think outside of yourself. I am talking about why people think I think that GOD only applies to my religion when I don't. I think if one is monotheist then they believe in one GOD the same one. Not why you think it.

I asked why people thought I believed my GOD only applied to my faith because I don't. I think it applies to most religions... I didn't say the worship of Jesus is correct neither did I say the bible was pointless. Jesus is a prophet like anyone else. But you know muslims who read the hadith and built shrines essentially praised Muhammad. Of course I completely disagree. Do they still believe in the same one GOD I'd say so they ascribed partners though. So essentially same goes for Christians. They believe in three in one. That means they believe in one.

But to how I think and live life the bible doesn't apply to my life. It matters to you and many others but not me. I'm not a christian I don't get why people talk about their faiths when I don't live those rules it's irrelevent to me. Understand now?

No one attacked your faith I spoke about myself. Like everyone should be able to. I don't read the bible because I'm a muslim so when I read all this stuff I have no clue on I really can't say anything but that it has nothing to do with the conversation or to why people think I think this. I don't know the verses you're referring to. But well I'm not a christian. So it's like if you spoke in a different language. It doesn't apply to me.

I have come to conclusion that it is that this Christian society thinks everyone thinks just like them. I don't need to convert anyone to think as me as we're all going to the same place whatever faith we choose. It's only a matter of if you do right. In my faith there is really not much of a story about GOD. So believing in GOD is pretty much just those three words nothing more...


Btw christians are probably my third favorite religion. I've said before I'd be Christian before atheist even though Atheism seems believable christianity is more hopeful. So I have nothing against you guys. Even though it seems you do. Funny we all come from the same family yet it seems people get in fight mode when I talk about Islam. I'm not here to argue. I'm here to speak about my beliefs. Also I came to ask a question on it. On my beliefs why people have this perception.

Last edited by girlfromsocal; March 22nd 2012 at 10:07 PM.
   
  (#21 (permalink)) Old
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
ThisWillDestroyYou's Avatar
 
Name: Michael
Gender: Male
Location: USA

Posts: 1,050
Join Date: July 5th 2011

Re: Why do people assume in only one religion that a certain GOD applies? - March 22nd 2012, 09:38 PM

No. I believe in 3 Person who are the same G-D. Just because you believe in one G-D, doesn't make other monotheists believes in the same G-D. Greeks didn't believe in the same g-ds as the Egytians. Both were polytheists. Likewise, say you know a guy named Matt, and I know a guy named Matt. If you say, "Matt is tall, about 6 feet 7 inches dark, and handsome. He has blonde hair and is really nice." But I describe the guy I know, "Matt is short, about 4 feet 11 inches, and ugly. He has black hair and is a douche." We clearly don't know the same Matt. Likewise, if you have one description of G-D and I have another, we don't believe in the same G-D. Even if Matt and Matt had similar personality traits, they're still not the same person. Comparably, if we have the same books, it doesn't mean we believe in the same G-D.


"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan
   
  (#22 (permalink)) Old
girlfromsocal Offline
inandoutofhere
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
girlfromsocal's Avatar
 
Age: 26
Gender: without getting pg I was born both but am allfemale now
Location: anywhere

Posts: 346
Join Date: December 6th 2011

Re: Why do people assume in only one religion that a certain GOD applies? - March 22nd 2012, 09:51 PM

Actually there's no description of GOD really in our faith just that HE created the Earth and he creates and does everything. It's more about what HE does than anything and how we should live life. Less known the better tbh... There are no descriptions like there is in Christianity... So generically it can be the same. It says it in my faith we believe in the same. That's why I believe that. This wasn't the question though. It is a religious belief that I do think I believe in the same GOD.
Anyone who believes in GOD the last day(the next world) and does right goes to heaven. It also says Jews Christians and Sabbeans will make it to heaven so yea. That's why I think that. But it wasn't a question. It was a statement and to ask why people would think otherwise.

I think my answer's been answered thanks guys. Some people don't seem to understand what my question was but I realize why and the thread completely explains... So my stance stays as what I believe that most believe in the same GOD as I do in the world because it's on the premise of monotheism. Monotheism is the majority in this world. That's all I pointed out.

Last edited by girlfromsocal; March 23rd 2012 at 12:15 AM.
   
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
applies, assume, god, people, religion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All material copyright ©1998-2019, TeenHelp.
Terms | Legal | Privacy | Conduct | Complaints

Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000-2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search engine optimization by vBSEO.
Theme developed in association with vBStyles.