TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Adulting This forum is for any discussions about adult life.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 56,119, Level: 34 Points: 56,119, Level: 34 Points: 56,119, Level: 34

Dating Again - May 16th 2021, 12:35 PM

Lately, I have been thinking about dating again. It's been nearly two years since my last relationship ended. I then I was in a fwb agreement for a year before I ended it as it wasn't working out.

I am not sure if it's covid or just that I am changing, I can't tell. It's worth a try.

As I go through the profiles if the age bracket isn't my ideal it's an automatic "no" I don't bother to look at their complete profile. Smoking cigarettes is another one. Being overweight is another. Having zero goals or no intentions of College or anything like that above high school is a "no". Then, I have come across "open relationship" or some weird terminology of sexuality and it was a flat "no". Even if they have cats I have just did "no" as other things didn't match but wasn't a dealbreaker for having cats.

I am picky. Is that a bad thing?

My profile. I am trying to write my profile so it doesn't sound like a botched piece of child written essay. Sounding fake. I prefer answering questions and might leave it as that. That is boring and lame when this is serious.

I always thought of myself as just being free and not tied down to anything or anyone. I am just exploring this again. Covid has made things difficult.

In the perfect world I would want someone who has a child from a previous relationship or marriage and that doesn't want more children OR someone who wants to live separate lives (households) but in a committed relationship with me.

Have questions or would like to chat send me a PM
+
Outreach and Communications Officer
Resource Editor
Community Moderator | Forum Moderator

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I've been here a while

Name: Sarah

Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31

Re: Dating Again - May 22nd 2021, 11:16 PM

I don't think you're being picky. We all have a specific set of requirements and a lot of people tend not to check those boxes. Everybody has that 'ideal' person in mind. For example, mine would be a non-smoker. Doesn't like clubbing but is ok with the occasional drink. If they don't drink that's fine with me. They like to eat healthily and enjoy adventures. Someone who likes fitness as much as me. Isn't exceptionally lazy and dislikes doing work. Must be employed to some degree. Has goals they want to achieve, and a career they're aiming for,

These things are just standards of what we'd like in a person. Everybody has them.

The only problem is that it's incredibly hard to meet someone who checks all the boxes we have for what we 'require' in a person. Especially if we live somewhere where our options are limited.

I think trying dating again could be good. If nothing else but for the experiences that may be produced from it. Maybe even one or two friends may come out of it too.

This is just my opinion... but when coming to write a dating profile, I think writing something that stands out from everybody else is what catches a person's eye. If you look at a lot of profiles, not to sound harsh, but many do come across and sound similar. It's usually, 'I like cosy nights in watching Netflix' or something generic. While that's not a bad thing, let's face it, the majority of people like that sort of thing to some degree. Think about what makes you different. What separates you from all those other profiles? Tell people of one flaw you feel you have, such as how maybe you're super clumsy and crash into things a lot. Make a joke about it. Be honest. But most importantly, just be you.
Closed Thread