TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Sex and Puberty For questions related to sex, puberty, birth control and sexual health, ask here!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
CrystalJade Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Points: 14,857, Level: 17 Points: 14,857, Level: 17 Points: 14,857, Level: 17

Angry Birth control and my period... Yikes! - September 28th 2012, 09:59 PM

I'm 19 and just started taking birth control about a year ago. I was on the kind that gave you a period once every 3 months (loved getting less periods). Unfortunately, it had some side effects I hated. Now I'm on off brand Yaz, I just started it this month, and I'm not very happy so far. Sure, it has less side effects for me but I was told I wouldn't get a period every month on it but, surprise, I got my period this month. I'm a little confused by this... I'm also concerned because Yaz is always on TV for causing bad things.

I'm about to get personal now...

I HATE my period! It causes me to break out, I have HORRIBLE cramps, my stomach always hurts, I have headaches (I suffer from migraine headaches anyway and they can't seem to find the cause), and I have flue like symptoms to accompany it all (diarrhea). I'm sorry if this is too much info... It's been like this ever since the year I started my period. In fifth grade I missed so much school because of these symptoms, turns out later that year that I would have my period from then on out.

My period is usually very regular and not too heavy usually.

Does anyone else have the same problems? Any suggestions on how to help with any of it? What about the birth controls, do I have better options and so forth? Anyone take/has taken Yaz? What's your view on Yaz?

Any help is highly appreciated!
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Little Lion Man
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Katie

Points: 11,382, Level: 15 Points: 11,382, Level: 15 Points: 11,382, Level: 15

Re: Birth control and my period... Yikes! - September 29th 2012, 12:40 AM

I started a generic for OrthoCyclen and was told I wouldn't get my period the first pack either, but I did. So I think it just happens sometimes.

Stay on it for a little longer, to see if you adjust to it, and if you're still not happy with it, then ask to change brands again.

Sorry I couldn't be there, I was tied to a rocking chair.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kitty

Points: 46,375, Level: 30 Points: 46,375, Level: 30 Points: 46,375, Level: 30

Re: Birth control and my period... Yikes! - September 29th 2012, 01:39 AM

Hey,

I'm on Yaz and you are definitely supposed to get your period every month while you are on Yaz. Wihle some girls, the majority don't. My doctor never told me that I wouldn't get my period on Yaz. After all, you take the placebo pills at the end of each month.

Before I started Yaz, I had a problem with acne, my period was awful, etc. It took a couple months for everything to regulate and for my acne to calm down. I recommend giving it 2-3 more months and then if you aren't satisfied, go back to your doctor and discuss your options with him/her.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Proud Military Girlfriend
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Shannon

Points: 32,429, Level: 25 Points: 32,429, Level: 25 Points: 32,429, Level: 25

Re: Birth control and my period... Yikes! - September 29th 2012, 03:28 AM

I was on Yaz a few years ago, and got my period every month. My doctor never told me I wouldn't have a period while on it. I enjoyed that specific pill, as it gave me 4 day periods at the end of the month. I never had a problem with my period, ever, so I've never had an issue with any of the pills I've been on.

I may wear the glass slippers; But my hero wears combat boots <3 I love you, Lieutenant

HelpLink Mentor 6/13/2011
Pregnancy & Childcare Moderator 11/26/2011
Fashion & Style Moderator 12/28/2011
Social Groups Moderator 12/28/2011
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
TakeTheLeap Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Emily

Points: 19,139, Level: 20 Points: 19,139, Level: 20 Points: 19,139, Level: 20

Re: Birth control and my period... Yikes! - September 29th 2012, 04:38 PM

I was on Yaz for 3-4 months when I was 16. It was the first birth control pill I had ever taken. Yes, you are supposed to get your period every month with it. That's why they do the placebo at the end of every month.
Some people do really well on it and don't have any reason to be alarmed while taking it. I, on the other hand, went from having a very light period for a month (no cramps, no nothing) to having a very heavy, very crampy period. It made me pretty miserable. I remember my mom saying, "Your body just has to get used to it," and I called my doctor who said the same thing. After 3 months of it, I couldn't take anymore so I took myself off of it and didn't go back to the female doctor for over 4 years afterwards.
When I did finally go back, they put me on Femcon which did a GREAT job. It kept my period light, lasted 3-4 days with just a little bit of cramping before and afterward. When I switched gynecologists, she switched my prescription to Tri Sprintec and I've had really good luck with it. As with the Femcon, my period lasts 3-4 days with minimal cramping (though slightly more than with Femcon). Neither of them have given me any major side effects. I rarely ever have breakouts anymore with the new pill, and I'm pleased with its success overall.

“Don't get too comfortable with who you are at any given time. You may miss the opportunity to become who you want to be." ~Jon Bon Jovi

(#6 (permalink)) Old
CrystalJade Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Birth control and my period... Yikes! - September 29th 2012, 05:30 PM

Hmmm... It sounds like I'll probably have to switch birth controls then... I'm miserable right now, I don't think my cramps are usually so bad.
My doctor and pharmacist told me to not take the inactive pills at the end until the third month.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Birth control and my period... Yikes! - September 29th 2012, 08:14 PM

I'm going to probably take a guess here and say they were wrong. Obviously, not taking the inactive pills would keep you from your period, however that specific pill isn't equipped for that. If you don't want a period, I suggest speaking to a NEW doctor and getting on the birth control that cuts your period off all together.

I may wear the glass slippers; But my hero wears combat boots <3 I love you, Lieutenant

(#8 (permalink)) Old
TakeTheLeap Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Emily

Points: 19,139, Level: 20 Points: 19,139, Level: 20 Points: 19,139, Level: 20

Re: Birth control and my period... Yikes! - September 30th 2012, 05:48 AM

It's okay to skip your placebos and go right to the next week occasionally without worrying about side effects, but it's not something you want to do constantly. Certain pills just aren't equipped to do that, and you might end up getting sick because of it. I would suggest going back to your doctor for a different pill.

“Don't get too comfortable with who you are at any given time. You may miss the opportunity to become who you want to be." ~Jon Bon Jovi

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Traci
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44

Re: Birth control and my period... Yikes! - September 30th 2012, 06:29 AM

You can actually talk to your gynecologist about having them not put placebo pills in there anymore and switching to a three month regular pills than 7 day placebo method, even with Yaz. I did this a couple of months ago. You can also thinking about going to pills that do this specifically, such as Seasonique.

something burning?
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
CrystalJade Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Birth control and my period... Yikes! - September 30th 2012, 08:55 AM

Seasonique was what I had before Yaz. It gave me some side effects I didn't like at all.

I need the pill form so I kind of feel limited to what I can take to get less periods. I also feel going to a different doctor would help because I think my current one keeps failing me. She failed to catch that I had vagionisis after several checkups and it took me going to a different one just one time for her to get it. Now this is the latest issue I have with her, she gave me false information apparently and gave me a prescription I didn't want.
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Birth control and my period... Yikes! - September 30th 2012, 12:13 PM

If you're disappointed in her services, I would change doctors. There is a pill out there that gives you periods every so often, but nothing is entirely set in stone. Even though you're only mean to get your period 3-4 months out of the year, you could still have some break through bleeding in between periods (which is totally normal as well).

(#12 (permalink)) Old
nerual:) Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Nerual:)

Points: 7,245, Level: 12 Points: 7,245, Level: 12 Points: 7,245, Level: 12

Re: Birth control and my period... Yikes! - October 3rd 2012, 07:23 PM

If I've missed it and it's already been said then I apologise: Do you just want contraceptive in pill form or would you be okay using other methods?

If you're okay with using other methods then you might want to research the nexplannon implant. I used to have the same symptoms as you so I ended up missing a lot of school so I know how bad it can be. I've had the implant for about 6 months now and while it takes a couple of months to settle it's been brilliant. After it settled, I've only had 2 periods and they only lasted a few days with none of my previous symptoms and not even any cramps. It did take about a month and a half to settle during which time I was almost constantly on but again no symptoms or cramps at all.

Prior warning though, it can take longer to settle but it seems to reduce if not remove cramps and pains.

Hope this can help
Closed Thread