TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Sex and Puberty For questions related to sex, puberty, birth control and sexual health, ask here!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount71

Edit avatar

Missed period- to test or not to test? - January 10th 2013, 11:33 PM

Hey guys.

So I take Microgestin 1/20 for both birth control and PCOS symptoms. A few weeks ago I posted that I took an antibiotic I later discovered could interfere with the effectiveness of the birth control. However, because PCOS makes the chances of conceiving low I wasn't too worried.

Last week was my week without pills/my period week. In the past, these have worked like clockwork. The week before I will develop premenstrual symptoms- breast fullness, nipple tenderness/itchiness, mood swings and cramps. Then either on Thursday or Friday of the pill week I will get my period. It's always very light, but lasts until monday. I then start the new pack on Tuesday.

The symptoms were all there, but no bleeding actually occurred. Now, there could be several reasons for this- for example, I've got the flu. The holidays were stressful. The antibiotics simply threw my period off by a few days. But I keep coming back to the reason that because the birth control was compromised, I could be pregnant, even though I have PCOS. Maybe even that it was more possible because the antibiotic interfered with the estrogen, which keeps the egg from releasing, but not the progesterone, which builds up the lining of the uterus. I don't know.

At this point I am a week late from my usual period. I started my new pack as usual on Tuesday. The pre-menstrual symptoms have actually mostly disappeared, except my breasts still feel full, my nipples are still a little itchy, and my abdomen just feels tender (which could be from the flu), and I am fatigued (which could also be the flu) but no more cramping.

I have no idea what to make of this. So the question is, to test or not to test, and when? Do I just wait until my illness is gone, which it almost is? Do I wait until I miss my next due period, like the pill package suggests? Do I not worry unless a common pregnancy symptom, like morning sickness, shows up?

Any advice, especially from someone who has PCOS and takes the pill, is appreciated.

Last edited by DeletedAccount71; January 10th 2013 at 11:46 PM.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
missashlynxo Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Ashlyn

Points: 6,944, Level: 12 Points: 6,944, Level: 12 Points: 6,944, Level: 12

Re: Missed period- to test or not to test? - January 12th 2013, 06:37 AM

I would definitely wait until your sickness subsides and until your next period misses to test. A lot of things can make you miss a month, like stress, increased workouts, and even birth control can make you skip a month or two. I'd just wait until next month to test, but that's just me!

Best of luck!
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Name: Lissa

Points: 22,249, Level: 21 Points: 22,249, Level: 21 Points: 22,249, Level: 21

Re: Missed period- to test or not to test? - January 13th 2013, 01:59 AM

In my opinion, there's no reason NOT to test. Why not just put your mind at ease?
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
MidnightMay Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Points: 11,638, Level: 15 Points: 11,638, Level: 15 Points: 11,638, Level: 15

Re: Missed period- to test or not to test? - January 13th 2013, 02:03 AM

I agree with Maloo if it is on your mind sometimes the best thing is to go ahead and test so you can relax and figure everything out.

feel free to PM me...

Always keep a smile on your face and Lots of love in you heart! <3

Dont wear a mask and suffocate
take it off and breathe

Earth without ART is just EH...
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23

Re: Missed period- to test or not to test? - January 13th 2013, 03:18 PM

I must say that I agree. There really is not reason to not test even though the chances are low. Your contraception was compromised, yes, but it wasn't rendered totally ineffective and that combined with the PCOS probably makes it less likely but the chance is still there. You could always buy some tests either at a drug store or at a dollar store and take at least 1, though 2 or 3 is recommended, and make sure that you aren't pregnant (or are). If nothing else at least you are ruling out the options of why you missed your period.

You could also consider that you have a cyst preventing you from having your period. The whole point of taking the pill when you have PCOS is to prevent you from getting more cysts correct? So if the pill was compromised due to the antibiotic it's quite possible that it compromised its ability to prevent a cyst as well as preventing pregnancy. Especially given that you experienced menstrual symptoms but no period. So if you rule out pregnancy it might be worth speaking to your doctor about having a cyst. I am not sure what the protocol is for you, but depending what your doctor expects she/he may want to do an ultrasound and monitor the cyst if there is one to make sure it disappears.

Otherwise, it might just be from having had the flu and the stress from Christmas. But I think that those are 2 possibilities worth ruling out.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23

Re: Missed period- to test or not to test? - January 13th 2013, 03:19 PM

I must say that I agree. There really is not reason to not test even though the chances are low. Your contraception was compromised, yes, but it wasn't rendered totally ineffective and that combined with the PCOS probably makes it less likely but the chance is still there. You could always buy some tests either at a drug store or at a dollar store and take at least 1, though 2 or 3 is recommended, and make sure that you aren't pregnant (or are). If nothing else at least you are ruling out the options of why you missed your period.

You could also consider that you have a cyst preventing you from having your period. The whole point of taking the pill when you have PCOS is to prevent you from getting more cysts correct? So if the pill was compromised due to the antibiotic it's quite possible that it compromised its ability to prevent a cyst as well as preventing pregnancy. Especially given that you experienced menstrual symptoms but no period. So if you rule out pregnancy it might be worth speaking to your doctor about having a cyst. I am not sure what the protocol is for you, but depending what your doctor expects she/he may want to do an ultrasound and monitor the cyst if there is one to make sure it disappears.

Otherwise, it might just be from having had the flu and the stress from Christmas. But I think that those are 2 possibilities worth ruling out.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

Last edited by Always *; January 13th 2013 at 03:50 PM.
Closed Thread