TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Sex and Puberty For questions related to sex, puberty, birth control and sexual health, ask here!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
onta Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Leonta, Onta, Leeman

Points: 5,932, Level: 11 Points: 5,932, Level: 11 Points: 5,932, Level: 11

Angry I need help with my period - May 20th 2014, 02:34 AM

My period started 2 days ago and I've started using tampons last time im had my period and it really hurt so I started using lube to help put the tampon in. Is it normal to use lube while putting it in?????
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Traci
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44

Re: I need help with my period - May 20th 2014, 06:07 AM

Hey Onta,

This isn't a bad idea, but no, it's not typical. First, are you using the lightest type of tampon? Find the lightest and smallest/thinnest if you're having problems inserting. Second, I don't recommend using tampons before your vagina is bleeding enough to naturally lubricate it. Last, if you don't like using tampons, you shouldn't feel "weird" for not liking them. Personally, I don't usually use tampons unless I'm swimming. Part of that is because I'm on birth control that makes my periods very infrequent and very light when it comes, but I was never a fan of tampons. They give me cramps. Do what makes YOU comfortable.

Good luck.

something burning?
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
taylalatbh. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Taylala

Points: 27,528, Level: 23 Points: 27,528, Level: 23 Points: 27,528, Level: 23

Re: I need help with my period - May 20th 2014, 07:08 PM

Traci has said it pretty right, it's not normal practice but if it helps then I don't see the problem with it. If it's your first time using tampons then you might want to try using the smaller size and one with a plastic applicator, those can really help use it correctly.

It's normal to feel some discomfort when using tampons for the first few times, it's definitely something you need to get used to. I personally couldn't imagine it any other way, other products just don't work for me. But everyone has a preference.

If you feel like tampons are a good idea for you and your lifestyle, keep at it. Make sure you're using them properly and you shouldn't have any problems.

Good luck.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
0akly Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Star

Points: 7,779, Level: 12 Points: 7,779, Level: 12 Points: 7,779, Level: 12

Re: I need help with my period - May 20th 2014, 09:56 PM

Try using a smaller size and I would avoid using lube because it can be absorbed into the tampon and the reduce the amount of blood that can be absorbed. It could also create a layer on the outside of the tampon that makes it harder to soak up the blood. Smaller sizes with a plastic applicator should help, also try parting your labia with a finger and widening your vagina and using your other hand to apply the tampon. Hope this helps.

You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Captain_jack Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 10,050, Level: 14 Points: 10,050, Level: 14 Points: 10,050, Level: 14

Re: I need help with my period - May 20th 2014, 10:09 PM

I agree with all of the previous advice.

Just to add as a tip - i find that the angle you hold your body at (sitting or standing) can help/hinder a tampon going in. I'm not totally sure how to describe how i angle myself to make it easier for the tampon to go in. It kind of like a pelvic thrust for me.

Im sure you're not doing yourself any harm with lube. If you can;t get on with them after a while - just don't worry, stick to pads. there's no definitive answer.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
onta Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Leonta, Onta, Leeman

Points: 5,932, Level: 11 Points: 5,932, Level: 11 Points: 5,932, Level: 11

Re: I need help with my period - May 24th 2014, 10:44 AM

My mum told me to use lube as it apparently helps to put it in because I wont wear pads anymore they mad me feel disgusting because they blood goes everywhere
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Kindred Offline
You can handle anything
I've been here a while

Name: Eyeliner Failure

Points: 31,637, Level: 25 Points: 31,637, Level: 25 Points: 31,637, Level: 25

Re: I need help with my period - May 24th 2014, 11:45 AM

When I first started using tampons, I used to masturbate a bit first for extra lubrication just to make insertion easier, so I kinda did the same thing as you. With practice it gets easier. My honest advice is to relax, and explore "down there" first with your fingers- once I got more used to using tampons and how things worked, I stopped needing to spend ages inserting one. They can't go anywhere other than your vagina, there's no where for them to get lost, you don't need to panic.

Take as long as you need.
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread