TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Sex and Puberty For questions related to sex, puberty, birth control and sexual health, ask here!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
PaleBlueShine Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 8,737, Level: 13 Points: 8,737, Level: 13 Points: 8,737, Level: 13

Question Starting pill pack first day of period??? - December 29th 2011, 05:40 AM

I started my period today and was off my pills for a month. I just took my first pill and this is the first day of my period. Does that mean I can have sex with my boyfriend tonight with no condom safely? That's what the Planned Parenthood website says but am I interpreting it correctly?

Thanks.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Points: 32,255, Level: 25 Points: 32,255, Level: 25 Points: 32,255, Level: 25

Re: Starting pill pack first day of period??? - December 29th 2011, 06:54 AM

According to planned parenthood:
Quote:
You may start the combination pill at any time. If you start within five days after the start of your period, you are protected against pregnancy right away. You will not need to use a backup method of birth control. That means that if your period starts on a Wednesday morning, you can start the pill up to Monday morning to be protected right away. If you start at any other time during your menstrual cycle, you will be protected from pregnancy after seven days. Use another method of birth control — like a condom, female condom, diaphragm, or sponge — if you have vaginal intercourse during the first week of use.
If you have started your period & have started the COMBINATION pill, you can assume you are protected. However, it might be best to have the extra protection for a day or two.

Quote:
You may start the progestin-only pill at any time. Use another method of birth control if you have vaginal intercourse during the first 48 hours of progestin-pill use — protection will begin after two days.
But for the progestin pills only, you must use another form of protection for the first two days.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Proud Military Girlfriend
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Shannon

Points: 32,429, Level: 25 Points: 32,429, Level: 25 Points: 32,429, Level: 25

Re: Starting pill pack first day of period??? - December 29th 2011, 04:59 PM

It depends on the pill. As Barbara has said, if it's the COMBINATION PILL, you can assume you're protected, but it's wise to use an extra form of protection the first couple of times. You don't want any mistakes to happen. But, if you're on the progestin-only pill, you'll need to HAVE an extra form of protection for the first two days.

In any case, it's always best to be safer than sorry. So, until you both feel comfortable without condoms, I'd use them as the website suggests.

I may wear the glass slippers; But my hero wears combat boots <3 I love you, Lieutenant

HelpLink Mentor 6/13/2011
Pregnancy & Childcare Moderator 11/26/2011
Fashion & Style Moderator 12/28/2011
Social Groups Moderator 12/28/2011
Closed Thread