TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Pregnancy and Childcare If you're pregnant, a young parent, or have questions related to either, ask them here!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
countrybabe Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 7,897, Level: 13 Points: 7,897, Level: 13 Points: 7,897, Level: 13

pregnant? - October 20th 2012, 09:17 PM

First of all let me get this out while I can, I lost my virginity when I was 15 (same guy im with now) im now almost 18. I am not new to this. Me and my boyfriend had unprotected sex four or five times. Twice in the last week. I was supposed to start my period last Monday but still havent started. I usually have very regular periods and never really been late. He pulled out everytime but I know he still pred. I took a pregnancy test yesterday and it said it was negative. I am on new depression medicine (lexapro) that I just started about a month ago I have been on depression medicine for over a year now I just switched to a new brand. I don't think that should do it though. Thoughts?
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Just Peachy. Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Points: 63,646, Level: 36 Points: 63,646, Level: 36 Points: 63,646, Level: 36

Re: pregnant? - October 20th 2012, 09:28 PM

If you took a test, and he pulled out.. it's likely that you're not pregnant. However, that doesn't mean that you're not! I would schedule an appt with a doctor so they can tell you for sure. Even though you've always been pretty regular- doesn't mean you always will be. A missed be period can be brought on by many things. Such as stress. For the future, I would suggest using a condom. This is a better way to ensure you don't get pregnant. Though, not 100% effective. Take care<3

(#3 (permalink)) Old
countrybabe Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 7,897, Level: 13 Points: 7,897, Level: 13 Points: 7,897, Level: 13

Re: pregnant? - October 20th 2012, 09:33 PM

We always do use a condom we just recently havent been. Thanks!
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Just Peachy. Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Points: 63,646, Level: 36 Points: 63,646, Level: 36 Points: 63,646, Level: 36

Re: pregnant? - October 20th 2012, 09:40 PM

I think it may be good to consistently use them. It should help better ease your mind. Like I said, missed periods could mean anything! So try to relax <3

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Name: Lissa

Points: 22,249, Level: 21 Points: 22,249, Level: 21 Points: 22,249, Level: 21

Re: pregnant? - October 21st 2012, 01:47 AM

Having sex close to the time of your period can screw with your schedule. To put your mind at ease, wait another week and a half or so, and take another test.
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Points: 36,109, Level: 27 Points: 36,109, Level: 27 Points: 36,109, Level: 27

Re: pregnant? - October 22nd 2012, 12:18 PM

Lissa is correct. Having sex, especially more often than you normally do can affect your period.

Also, even if you have been on anti-depressants for a long time and switch medicine, it can change the chemicals in your body as they all work differently. So it could definitely be the Lexapro.

As for testing. If you had sex within the last week, and you suspect pregnancy from that, it is impossible to get an accurate result on a test yet. General rule is to wait at least 14 days after intercourse. However, each person can ovulate (when you are most fertile) differently so you usually should wait at least 4 days before your next expected period.

For you, this period is too soon to test as it hasn't been 14 days. So wait until your next expected period. Or if you use an early pregnancy test, you can test as soon as a week before, though most accurately 4 days before for around 60-70% chance of a positive result (dependent on the brand, read labels).

Also, if he uses the restroom and doesn't ejaculate anytime between the restroom and the time you have intercourse, it is very unlikely, if not impossible, to become pregnant. Withdrawal method, if used correctly, has a failure rate of 4%, whereas condoms have a 2% failure rate. Source - read under "How Effective is Withdrawal?"

However, with you just switching medications and missing your period only a week after intercourse leads me to believe your missed period is not due to pregnancy.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
punk rocker with attitude
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Jennifer

Points: 16,645, Level: 18 Points: 16,645, Level: 18 Points: 16,645, Level: 18

Re: pregnant? - October 22nd 2012, 02:21 PM

I think it's probably the medicine. I'm no stranger to anti-depressants, and sometimes they do crazy things to the chemicals in our bodies. I started Paxil almost 2 weeks ago and my body doesn't know what's going on. I'd wait at another week and if you still have no period retest again and definitely either way call the doctor.

You can't live a positive life with a negative mind and if you have a positive outcome you have a positive income and just to have more positivity and just to kind of laugh it off. ~ Miley Cyrus

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Siren❤ Offline
Average Joe

Name: ILH♡

Points: 8,186, Level: 13 Points: 8,186, Level: 13 Points: 8,186, Level: 13

Re: pregnant? - October 23rd 2012, 06:21 PM

I also think it is the anti-depressants.
I came off mine recently as they were interfering with other meds, and my cycle changed dramatically.
I am though, on Depo Provera so that could also be why.

If you do not want a baby right now, I would consistently use condoms (at least) if I were you. Withdrawal can be effective, but condoms are more effective, so I'd stick with those.

Obviously if you're next period doesn't come, do take another test. Let us know how you get on

Closed Thread