TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Pregnancy and Childcare If you're pregnant, a young parent, or have questions related to either, ask them here!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
ThatGirl Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jasmin

Points: 9,246, Level: 14 Points: 9,246, Level: 14 Points: 9,246, Level: 14

Exclamation Possibly pregnant? So confused and scared!! - September 14th 2009, 12:51 AM

Hi, so ok this is the deal...my breasts are so swollen and heavy!! They are also very tender and so are my nipples. Before i continue i will let you know i am on seasonal birth control i have been on it for 2years so i know this isn't from it, this has never happend. Its also not the before my period thing because i dont get my period for another month, my pills say so, and my breasts have never been swollen before my period anyway! To continue....i have been EXTREAMLY moody! i get mood swing every couple of minutes! And sometimes i get natious and if i smell somethings,they make me puke. I have gained some weight like 5pounds....so i know that this is all sounding like i could be pregnant. Well thats what i am scared of. I have been taking an antibiotic called doxycyclene and me and my boyfriend have had unprotected sex. I didnt realize you could get pregnant while on antibiotics. I am wondering if everyone thinks i am pregnant! idk what to do.....i know there could be other explanations becuz i mean i dont have morning sickness. Im just confused and i need some help. I talked to my boyfriend about it and he thinks im pregnant. I know everyone will say "Get a test" but my mom would have to take me to get it and pay for it and she would kill me..literally. I just need to know if im not the only one who thinks i am pregnant...im so confused.....idk what to do....someone help me!!!!
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
silentmuffin Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Points: 11,358, Level: 15 Points: 11,358, Level: 15 Points: 11,358, Level: 15

Re: Possibly pregnant? So confused and scared!! - September 14th 2009, 03:11 AM

There is a chance that antibiotics can interfere with the effectiveness of birth control. This is something your doctor should have discussed with you before you started taking it. The chance is still relatively low, but there is a possibility. It's possible that you are experiencing typical "pregnancy symptoms" for other reasons. Stress is one, and it may just be that you're experiencing effects from the birth control that you haven't experienced before. Side effects don't always begin as soon as you start taking a medication. If you are really worried about it, you should take a pregnancy test. There is no other way to be sure. Your mother will not literally kill you...you're on birth control and have been taking it consistently. it's not like you were being reckless and irresponsible. Just tell her that you are worried antibiotics may have screwed with your birth control, and see if she'll get you a pregnancy test or take you to the doctor. The biggest thing is to try not to stress out about it, because that will only exacerbate your symptoms.

Aš tave myliu, Nanny. I'm carrying your love with me.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Kyeto-X Offline
Angel without a Halo
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Will

Points: 16,580, Level: 18 Points: 16,580, Level: 18 Points: 16,580, Level: 18

Re: Possibly pregnant? So confused and scared!! - September 14th 2009, 03:59 AM

I totally agree with Lindsey here. Sometimes birth control (or any drug for that matter) can have some side effects that show up later in the dosage. Especially in Tens, with our hormones and bodies changing daily, sometimes we can shift in a way that can DRASTICALLY change how we respond to certain things.

It is possible that this is one of those things. The best way to find out is to tell your doctor about what you are feeling and what is happening. Also tell the doc about the antibiotic you are taking. Chances are it might not have reacted with the birth control, but you never know until you ask.

And like Lindsey said, you can "jinx" yourself into thinking you are pregnant, and the stress of thinking that can show up as typical pregnant signs, which gets you more stressed out and gets you... Get the picture? Unfortunately, there are only three ways to find out if you are pregnant: 1) Pregnancy test, 2) Wait for a baby to pop out, or 3) Divine intervention. The BEST way to find out is a pregnancy test, especially if you are on birth control that prevents/offsets your period. Again, even simple STRESS in life can throw off your period, or make it disappear for a month.

(I've had second hand experience with this... A chick friend of mine went though a three month stretch without a period one summer. The entire time she was stressing about school and whether or not she was pregnant up until I finally talked her into a test. It came out negative and her body went back to normal a week later.)

First of all, I doubt that your mother will kill you for asking for a test. You were taking birth control and were just wondering whether or not it was interfering with you antibiotics. If it seems too much to ask her to help you, do you have an older friend/sibling that could perhaps help you out?

"One of the things I regret the most of being able to imagine anything,
is having to fear nothing"

"Realty is a lot more malleable then most people think.
They just refuse to believe that they can do anything about it."

"If a simple electron has a small,
but nonzero chance of doing the impossible,
what is stopping us from doing the same thing?"

-Wise Sayings from a Raving Lunatic
Follow me and my new book on Facebook!
Closed Thread