TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Pregnancy and Childcare If you're pregnant, a young parent, or have questions related to either, ask them here!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Mitch

Points: 22,859, Level: 21 Points: 22,859, Level: 21 Points: 22,859, Level: 21

My sister, 16 and pregnant; my girlfriend and contraception. - August 23rd 2010, 12:47 AM

Long story, but I'll try to sum it up as much as possible. My sister recently announced to the family that she's pregnant. My sister's 16; her boyfriend is 18 and he's a total social degenerate. He lives with his friends in a flat that he can't pay for, he drives his dad's car without a license, he has no job, broke a contract with a professional sports club because he was too busy playing Call of Duty to get off his lazy ass. My sister's having an abortion this thursday.

Ever since she told me, I've been worried about my girlfriend and I's relationship and our sexual tendencies. On average, we have sex 2-3 times per week. She's on the pill, but I'm unsure what it exactly is. For four months, she's skipped her period (as in, took skipped the 7 day withdrawal tablets in her box). So, so far, I've never been able to be certain of whether or not she's pregnant.

The other day, she took a pregnancy test. It was 5 days before her period was supposed to start. It came up negative. I was relieved, but still had that nagging thought that there's a possibility.

I mean, there's always a possibility... but here's a few questions:

How effective is a pregnancy test 5 days before the fourth time someone skips their period?
What're the odds of getting pregnant from the pill combined with pulling out, especially when done "properly"?

Thanks in advance.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
dejaentendu0 Offline
Average Joe

Name: Liz

Points: 10,878, Level: 15 Points: 10,878, Level: 15 Points: 10,878, Level: 15

Re: My sister, 16 and pregnant; my girlfriend and contraception. - August 23rd 2010, 03:28 AM

If she takes the birth control pills are directed, every day, then there is little to worry about. The pill are about 92-99% effective, depending on if she's doing them as directed.
I never skipped the sugar pills with mine, so I don't know if that would make a difference, but I'm going to go with it won't since she's still taking the hormones - just on a daily basis without a break. However, I don't know if it's exactly healthy for her to keep doing that to miss her period. Maybe someone knows more on that though...

Most pregnancy tests can detect it pretty well at five days before. If you're still having a feeling that she might be, wait a few days until after she is supposed to have her period and maybe test then? Or if you feel worried enough, you could always have a blood test for pregnancy.
I wouldn't really worry about it though, as long as she's taking her birth control as she should and the first test was negative.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Taylor

Points: 18,584, Level: 19 Points: 18,584, Level: 19 Points: 18,584, Level: 19

Re: My sister, 16 and pregnant; my girlfriend and contraception. - August 23rd 2010, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraaviolet View Post
If she takes the birth control pills are directed, every day, then there is little to worry about. The pill are about 92-99% effective, depending on if she's doing them as directed.
I never skipped the sugar pills with mine, so I don't know if that would make a difference, but I'm going to go with it won't since she's still taking the hormones - just on a daily basis without a break. However, I don't know if it's exactly healthy for her to keep doing that to miss her period. Maybe someone knows more on that though...
My doctor told me that few very very lucky women can skip for a whole year. Me I've never been able to go more than three months without my body saying, nope no more skipping now it's time. But there's no harm in skipping.

To the OP if you are really concerned you should ask her not to skip this month and then see if it comes. And if it doesn't then take another test. It wouldn't hurt anything and it would put your mind at ease.

"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Samantha

Points: 11,935, Level: 15 Points: 11,935, Level: 15 Points: 11,935, Level: 15

Re: My sister, 16 and pregnant; my girlfriend and contraception. - August 23rd 2010, 03:55 AM

You need to use both the pill and a condom.
i dont care if u are pulling out "properly". pulling out is not a proper way of preventing pregnancy.
antibiotics can cancel out the pill.
she needs to make sure she takes the pill every day.
To be sure that she doesnt get pregnant use both the pill and a condom.

~Samantha~

PM me anytime

Recovering Self Harmer

Rape Survivor 9/28/11

The Day I Met My Soulmate 10/27/11
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Mitch

Points: 22,859, Level: 21 Points: 22,859, Level: 21 Points: 22,859, Level: 21

Re: My sister, 16 and pregnant; my girlfriend and contraception. - August 23rd 2010, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no.ordinary.dreamer View Post
You need to use both the pill and a condom.
i dont care if u are pulling out "properly". pulling out is not a proper way of preventing pregnancy.
antibiotics can cancel out the pill.
she needs to make sure she takes the pill every day.
To be sure that she doesnt get pregnant use both the pill and a condom.

I'm sure that, if you were in my position, you wouldn't want to be fielding that kind of response. I've done all I can to a) increase pleasure for both myself and her and b) take necessary precautions. She doesn't want a condom, I don't care whether or not I use a condom and regardless of whether or not I have been, there's always a possibility of pregnancy.

I never said that pulling out was a proper way of preventing pregnancy. I asked a question and I don't think it warranted that kind of response. With that being said, I'm well aware of it. She isn't on any antibiotics and I know it may "cancel out" the pill. She does take her pill every day. And nothing is certain, so I cannot be sure, so to speak.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
I can't get enough

Points: 42,913, Level: 29 Points: 42,913, Level: 29 Points: 42,913, Level: 29

Re: My sister, 16 and pregnant; my girlfriend and contraception. - August 23rd 2010, 02:11 PM

Have you googled the pill to try and gain a better understanding of it?? it might help put your mind at ease, if not with this situation, in the long run. Personally I don't think it's a great idea that she's skipped her period three or four times now, but I don't have any experience with this and don't know much about it so maybe it's ok.
If she's been taking her pill every day and hasn't thrown up/had diarrhoea/been on antibiotics, there's not really much chance that she's pregnant. The pull-out method is not an effective form of contraception alone, espcially because of precum, etc, but as the pill is 99% effective I think you guys are probably ok. Of course there's always a possibility, but I really think if the test came up negative things are ok. Maybe you could wait another couple of weeks and take another test just to be sure..??

Honey, you're familiar, like my mirror, years ago
I slithered here from Eden just to sit outside your door
Níl a shíltear mar a bhítear.
Things are not always what they seem.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Dana Offline
The Jet Setter
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Dana

Points: 10,464, Level: 14 Points: 10,464, Level: 14 Points: 10,464, Level: 14

Re: My sister, 16 and pregnant; my girlfriend and contraception. - August 23rd 2010, 03:04 PM

Why is she skipping the sugar pill week? Just because? I was told it's okay to skip them once in a while, but she shouldn't continually skip her period (that's not using the pill as directed).

Otherwise, I wouldn't worry too much. If you're not doubling up on protection (condom), then the pill is pretty much as safe as you can get (if taken perfectly).
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Samantha

Points: 11,935, Level: 15 Points: 11,935, Level: 15 Points: 11,935, Level: 15

Re: My sister, 16 and pregnant; my girlfriend and contraception. - August 23rd 2010, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Composure View Post

I'm sure that, if you were in my position, you wouldn't want to be fielding that kind of response. I've done all I can to a) increase pleasure for both myself and her and b) take necessary precautions. She doesn't want a condom, I don't care whether or not I use a condom and regardless of whether or not I have been, there's always a possibility of pregnancy.

I never said that pulling out was a proper way of preventing pregnancy. I asked a question and I don't think it warranted that kind of response. With that being said, I'm well aware of it. She isn't on any antibiotics and I know it may "cancel out" the pill. She does take her pill every day. And nothing is certain, so I cannot be sure, so to speak.

Im sorry if i offended you in anyway. I didnt mean for my response to come off as rude and im very sorry if it came off that way.
My sister got pregnant young and i know how hard its been for her and so in my opinion its important to take as many precautions as possible.

Why does ur gf skip the sugar pill week?

again im very sorry that my comment sounded offensive i truly did not mean for it to sound that way.

~Samantha~

PM me anytime

Recovering Self Harmer

Rape Survivor 9/28/11

The Day I Met My Soulmate 10/27/11
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
TheLittleNinja Offline
I'm a secret ninja ;)
I've been here a while

Name: Claiiiiiiiiire

Points: 16,506, Level: 18 Points: 16,506, Level: 18 Points: 16,506, Level: 18

Re: My sister, 16 and pregnant; my girlfriend and contraception. - August 23rd 2010, 06:21 PM

Basically:

It's highly doubtful that she is pregnant unless she skipped at least 2+ pills.
I wouldn't have thought it particularly healthy to keep NOT having a period - but I'm sure it won't do great harm.
When having sex you should always use 2 types of protection.

Googling the pill will help - and also take a look in the sex and puberty section at the contraception list

I'm still alive.
Must have been a miracle
It's been one hell of a ride
Destination still unkown
It's a fact of life: If you make one wrong move with a gun to your head
You better walk the line or you'll be left for dead.

I'm a runaway train on a broken track
I'm the ticker on the bomb that you can't turn back
Thats right.
I got away with it all and I'm still alive.
Let the end of the world come tumbling down.
I'll be the last man standing on the ground
As long as hot blood runs through my veins
I'm still alive.
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Points: 31,901, Level: 25 Points: 31,901, Level: 25 Points: 31,901, Level: 25

Re: My sister, 16 and pregnant; my girlfriend and contraception. - August 23rd 2010, 09:35 PM

The leaflet that came with my pill says not to skip more that 3 period so I have never skipped 4. I would recommend talking to her about her pill, ask her if you can read the leaflet that comes with it to learn more about it.
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
One of those old people ;)
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Amber

Points: 12,951, Level: 16 Points: 12,951, Level: 16 Points: 12,951, Level: 16

Re: My sister, 16 and pregnant; my girlfriend and contraception. - August 26th 2010, 09:03 PM

When I was on BC pills I didn't have a period from Feb. of this year to June of this year and only had one in june because I went off the pill. My gyno said it was fine to not have aperiod while on the pill, because you don't need to. His receptionist was on the pill for 10 years before she decided to have a baby and didn't have a period for the entire ten years.

ETA- I am guessing you are saying she takes all 7 period pills and never gets a period correct? If it is the other way around, she should atleast take the period pills for one month just for your and her reassurance.

"omg i might be pregnant!?!?!"

"ok..calm down..pee on your keyboard...nope its negative"

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Annie

Points: 11,688, Level: 15 Points: 11,688, Level: 15 Points: 11,688, Level: 15

Re: My sister, 16 and pregnant; my girlfriend and contraception. - August 27th 2010, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Composure View Post

You're opening yourself up to STDs. It is a mutual decision not to use a condom. Pleasure is a lame excuse for safe-sex.

Some people skip periods, but usually they will experience breakthrough bleeding. I think there is a pill out there where they can try to keep the girl from having a period the entire year. I'd ask her what her pill is called.
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
WashoutThePain Offline
=]
Outside, huh?

Name: Ask Away!

Points: 52,404, Level: 32 Points: 52,404, Level: 32 Points: 52,404, Level: 32

Re: My sister, 16 and pregnant; my girlfriend and contraception. - August 28th 2010, 01:25 PM

Here is some basic information about the birth control pill: http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f6-se...rol-pill-pill/

The most effective means of taking it, is by following the instructions perfectly. I would make sure she is talking to her doctor about skipping her periods (to be on the safe side), but I would assume it's not affecting the effectivity of the pill itself.

As for 'pulling out,' I don't consider it a particularly useful method since there is still sperm being released before the male ejaculates. She is still at risk, seeing as it only takes one sperm to impregnate her. Despite this, my unprofessional opinion would be that there is a slight reduction in pregnancy risk. I wouldn't trust this though. The most effective contraception is combining the pill and condom. If you're worried about pleasure, you can try the ultra thin kind, or maybe the ribbed kind. Experiment with different ones.

Lastly, I would never trust just one pregnancy test (especially if it's just bought from the store). Perhaps you could try another in a little while. Or simply ask her to stop purposefully skipping her period to see if it comes.

Again, I would encourage you (and her) to talk to your doctors about this. None of us are professionals, and I do think you might gain from speaking to one (especially about this birth control skipping periods thing).

Hope this helped a little

Closed Thread