TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Sex and Puberty For questions related to sex, puberty, birth control and sexual health, ask here!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
JSR92 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 17,459, Level: 19 Points: 17,459, Level: 19 Points: 17,459, Level: 19

Difference between implantation bleeding and periods? - March 8th 2012, 01:09 PM

What is the difference between implantation bleeding (resulting from pregnancy) and periods?

I read that a lot of people confuse implantation bleeding (which means the girl is pregnant) with periods (which means the girl is NOT pregnant).

So how can I know for sure if my girlfriend is pregnant or if she is having periods which means she is not pregnant? Her periods were supposed to start on 9th Mar but very light bleeding started today (8th Mar).

Also, I have not told her that there MAY BE a possibility that she could be pregnant because then she would have started worrying and from what I read worrying can be a cause of a missed period.

Usually, she gets pain in her legs and abdomen which tells her that periods are coming but this time she didnt feel any pain except for pain in her legs for less than hour on this past Tuesday night.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
iHEAVENn Offline
.:Try Forever:.
I've been here a while

Name: Amy

Points: 14,744, Level: 17 Points: 14,744, Level: 17 Points: 14,744, Level: 17

Re: Difference between implantation bleeding and periods? - March 8th 2012, 04:45 PM

Implantation bleeding is easy to mistake for a period unless you know what to look for...

For me, I had just had a period about a week and a half to two weeks before implantation bleeding started.. (Meaning the implantation bleeding occurred before I was even due for my next period)

Also, the implantation bleeding was very light and only lasted about a day or two. Periods normally last about 5 to 7 days.

The best way to find out if your girlfriend is pregnant is to get her a test and make her take it.

.:6:21 a.m.:.
.:12-01-2007:.
.:Logan Jacob:.

Baby HunterComing 7/12/14
My Everything

I support Project Linus!
Let Go Laughing
"It took a pair of soft blue eyes, and a smile so sweet.. to make me reach up high, and really dig down deep.."

(#3 (permalink)) Old
JSR92 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Difference between implantation bleeding and periods? - March 8th 2012, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iHEAVENn View Post
Implantation bleeding is easy to mistake for a period unless you know what to look for...

For me, I had just had a period about a week and a half to two weeks before implantation bleeding started.. (Meaning the implantation bleeding occurred before I was even due for my next period)

Also, the implantation bleeding was very light and only lasted about a day or two. Periods normally last about 5 to 7 days.

The best way to find out if your girlfriend is pregnant is to get her a test and make her take it.
This confused me "For me, I had just had a period about a week and a half to two weeks before implantation bleeding started.. (Meaning the implantation bleeding occurred before I was even due for my next period)"

I thought you CANNOT get periods if you get pregnant?

Suppose, if you have unprotected sex today, after how many days can you expect implantation bleeding?
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Proud Military Girlfriend
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Shannon

Points: 32,429, Level: 25 Points: 32,429, Level: 25 Points: 32,429, Level: 25

Re: Difference between implantation bleeding and periods? - March 8th 2012, 06:19 PM

Woman CAN bleed during their pregnancy. For some women, they don't know they are pregnant until they are about 6-12 weeks into their pregnancy, because they mistook implantation bleeding as their period. However, it isn't uncommon to experience some bleeding during pregnancy. If it's light, it's okay. If the bleeding is heavy during your pregnancy, you'll have to consult a doctor because something could be wrong (like a miscarriage taking place or a tear in the placenta).

Now, if you had unprotected sex today, it really depends on when implantation bleeding begins. It depends on whether or not she's ovulating, and how quickly the sperm can make it's way to the egg and even if the egg will be fertilized. Just because you have unprotected sex doesn't mean pregnancy will result, it just means the chances of pregnancy are quite high.

If you're worried that your girlfriend might be pregnant, again, the answers to your questions aren't going to vary much. She needs to take a pregnancy test in order to find out for sure. WE CANNOT TELL YOU IF SHE'S PREGNANT OR NOT. We are not doctors, nor are we pregnancy tests. Worrying constantly and stressing out about it CAN make her period late, so, if you're worried that she might be pregnant, get her to take a pregnancy test or to visit her doctor to have a test done there.

I may wear the glass slippers; But my hero wears combat boots <3 I love you, Lieutenant

HelpLink Mentor 6/13/2011
Pregnancy & Childcare Moderator 11/26/2011
Fashion & Style Moderator 12/28/2011
Social Groups Moderator 12/28/2011
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
JSR92 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Difference between implantation bleeding and periods? - March 8th 2012, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelophobia View Post
Woman CAN bleed during their pregnancy. For some women, they don't know they are pregnant until they are about 6-12 weeks into their pregnancy, because they mistook implantation bleeding as their period. However, it isn't uncommon to experience some bleeding during pregnancy. If it's light, it's okay. If the bleeding is heavy during your pregnancy, you'll have to consult a doctor because something could be wrong (like a miscarriage taking place or a tear in the placenta).

Now, if you had unprotected sex today, it really depends on when implantation bleeding begins. It depends on whether or not she's ovulating, and how quickly the sperm can make it's way to the egg and even if the egg will be fertilized. Just because you have unprotected sex doesn't mean pregnancy will result, it just means the chances of pregnancy are quite high.

If you're worried that your girlfriend might be pregnant, again, the answers to your questions aren't going to vary much. She needs to take a pregnancy test in order to find out for sure. WE CANNOT TELL YOU IF SHE'S PREGNANT OR NOT. We are not doctors, nor are we pregnancy tests. Worrying constantly and stressing out about it CAN make her period late, so, if you're worried that she might be pregnant, get her to take a pregnancy test or to visit her doctor to have a test done there.
I understand. Thank you for the help. One of the main reason why I seek answers online is because where we live it is not easy for teens to get a pregnancy test or go to a doctor regarding this issue WITHOUT the parents knowing about it.

I have not told her that there's a chance that she might be pregnant and she doesn't know it either so she cannot be worrying about this. The only reason why I haven't told her is so she doesn't stress about it which can cause her period to be late. Her period was due on 9th but it started today (8th). So I'm hoping that this bleeding is of periods and not implantation. From what I read, implantation bleeding is only a few drops and does only last a day or two.

You said that it is not uncommon for a woman to bleed during pregnancy. But she CANNOT have periods in pregnancy right? A woman can know for sure that whether she is having periods or if it is something else, right?

Could she have gotten periods if she had gotten pregnant? No, right? If the bleeding lasts for 6-7 days and she thinks that it was normal, then this was her periods, right? And periods mean no pregnancy, right?

It wasn't very likely for her to get pregnant as I never had intercourse with her. I only ejaculated ON her vagina a couple of times. I know doing this can possibly result in a pregnancy but its not very likely.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Name: Lissa

Points: 22,249, Level: 21 Points: 22,249, Level: 21 Points: 22,249, Level: 21

Re: Difference between implantation bleeding and periods? - March 8th 2012, 07:11 PM

A woman can EASILY misinterpret bleeding during pregnancy as being their period.

Like we've all told you, just use condoms.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Difference between implantation bleeding and periods? - March 8th 2012, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR92 View Post
You said that it is not uncommon for a woman to bleed during pregnancy. But she CANNOT have periods in pregnancy right? A woman can know for sure that whether she is having periods or if it is something else, right?
The bleeding isn't a period, however, women mistake bleeding during their pregnancy as their period. The bleeding itself isn't a period.

Quote:
Could she have gotten periods if she had gotten pregnant? No, right? If the bleeding lasts for 6-7 days and she thinks that it was normal, then this was her periods, right? And periods mean no pregnancy, right?
If the bleeding lasted for 6-7 days, it was most likely her period, though it's hard to tell since you don't know if she's pregnant or not. If a women is pregnancy, and experiences bleeding that lasts 6-7 days, that means something is wrong. However, if you aren't pregnant, she's most likely experiencing her period. And, yes, periods mean no pregnancy.

If you find it hard getting a hold of a pregnancy test, you'll need to at least try. You don't need your parents permission to do so, and you can buy them at any pharmacy or department store...or even at the dollar store. You NEED to find out if she's pregnant or not. If she began bleeding today, it's most likely that she's experiencing her period since she was due for it anyway, however, if the bleeding only lasts for a day or two, you might want your best to get your hands on a pregnancy test. If a pregnancy goes unnoticed for it's entirety, chances are the child is going to be unhealthy since regular doctor's visits, prenatal vitamins and care are going to needed during the entire pregnancy to ensure the health of your girlfriend and the unborn child. So, if her period doesn't last like it normally does for her, get a pregnancy test and let her take it. I know you're trying to protect her from thinking she's pregnant, however, you can't hide it from her forever. If she is pregnant, she's going to find out on her own eventually.

I may wear the glass slippers; But my hero wears combat boots <3 I love you, Lieutenant

(#8 (permalink)) Old
JSR92 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Difference between implantation bleeding and periods? - March 8th 2012, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maloo View Post
A woman can EASILY misinterpret bleeding during pregnancy as being their period.

Like we've all told you, just use condoms.
Implantation bleeding only lasts for a day or two. Is that correct?
So if her bleeding continues up to 6-7 days, will it be safe to say that its periods?
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Difference between implantation bleeding and periods? - March 8th 2012, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Implantation bleeding only lasts for a day or two. Is that correct?
So if her bleeding continues up to 6-7 days, will it be safe to say that its periods?
If it lasts 6-7 days, it's most likely her period. However, why not ask her how her periods normally are? Each girl is different. My periods last only about 4-5 days, while others can last up to 7 days. It all depends on HER cycle.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
JSR92 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Difference between implantation bleeding and periods? - March 8th 2012, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelophobia View Post

If it lasts 6-7 days, it's most likely her period. However, why not ask her how her periods normally are? Each girl is different. My periods last only about 4-5 days, while others can last up to 7 days. It all depends on HER cycle.
Yes, hers last 6-8 days. Another reason why I think it's her period is because it was unlikely for her to get pregnant as I only ejaculated ON her vagina a couple of times. We never had sex. I never ejaculated INSIDE her. So this makes it very unlikely for her to be pregnant, right?
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Difference between implantation bleeding and periods? - March 8th 2012, 08:20 PM

Yes. You've made several threads asking basically the same question, and the answers haven't changed. The chances of your sperm making it inside her vagina are slim to none. There is no reason to worry.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
JSR92 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Difference between implantation bleeding and periods? - March 9th 2012, 04:48 PM

I've read women mistake implantation bleeding as periods. And a few people have said the same thing above.

But what I don't understand is HOW?

Implantation bleeding which is also known as implantation spotting are only a few drops of blood. That is it, right? But periods are comparatively heavy flow of blood. Secondly, implantation bleeding lasts a day or two only. Periods for most girls last around 5 days at least. So how do women mistake implantation spotting with periods?
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Stargazed. Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 37,460, Level: 27 Points: 37,460, Level: 27 Points: 37,460, Level: 27

Re: Difference between implantation bleeding and periods? - March 9th 2012, 04:52 PM

It depends on the person. Not everyone bleeds the same amount, for the same amount of days, etc. It varies from person to person.
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Name: Lissa

Points: 22,249, Level: 21 Points: 22,249, Level: 21 Points: 22,249, Level: 21

Re: Difference between implantation bleeding and periods? - March 9th 2012, 07:11 PM

Brittany hit the nail on the head. Every girls' periods are different. Not to mention, your body does what it wants to. Your period can be moderately heavy one month, and light the next.
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
palsoma76 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 7,274, Level: 12 Points: 7,274, Level: 12 Points: 7,274, Level: 12

Re: Difference between implantation bleeding and periods? - March 9th 2012, 07:33 PM

Thanks nice tips...it will help me a lot
Closed Thread