TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Relationships and Dating Ask here for advice on dates, break-ups and other relationship concerns.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
B52sfreak Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 7,046, Level: 12 Points: 7,046, Level: 12 Points: 7,046, Level: 12

Question Dating someone older. Just need some advice. - June 23rd 2012, 06:35 PM

Any help at all would be appreciated! Comments, advice, perspectives...?

I'm in a really tricky situation and I just don't know what to do right now in the present, and also long term. I'm afraid if I just let it be any longer it'll just get worse.

Basically, I started seeing this guy back in October who I worked with - I'm 18 and he's 24. We dated casually for about 6 months (only sleeping together twice, in-the-moment sort of things) and then things started getting serious. Now we're in a serious relationship and very in love and we're so happy together. The problem is, while his friends and family accept me and our relationship just fine, NO ONE in my life does.

My parents have known about us since our very first date and my mom has been as supportive as she could be, but otherwise I really have no one. I've lost all my high school friends and the few that didn't totally ditch me just kind of keep their distance. I have no one I can really talk to and my dad hates me for it, says he's embarrassed and doesn't want anyone to know.

The thing is, I've always been the perfect child to my parents - straight A's in all AP classes, working my ass off to get an amazing SAT score, working when I could to help contribute, getting several scholarships and even a full ride to one school, and for the most part have following all their rules, not really partying and taking care of my siblings when they needed me. Now I do one thing that doesn't seem to fit the "perfect child mold", even though it makes me so happy and doesn't hurt anyone, and they flip the shit and no longer trust me. I just feel so alone and have no idea what to do.

On top of all that, now they're moving 6 hours away at the end of July, a month before I move into my dorm, and I have to decide if I'm going with them for the month or going to stay in the area with a family friend who will be instilling Nazi-like rules. If I stay, I could see me boyfriend occasionally, like a couple hours a week. If I move, probably not at all until I go to college and start visiting. Either way though it'll probably be a very miserable, lonely month. Help.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Jaguar Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Stephen Davis

Points: 15,150, Level: 17 Points: 15,150, Level: 17 Points: 15,150, Level: 17

Re: Dating someone older. Just need some advice. - June 23rd 2012, 07:17 PM

To begin with, there's not a significant age difference. You're both adults and can basically do what you want. I personally wouldn't stay with anybody with "Nazi-like rules". I can't tell you what to do, but if I were you I would go with him.

What just happened?
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Points: 77,763, Level: 39 Points: 77,763, Level: 39 Points: 77,763, Level: 39

Re: Dating someone older. Just need some advice. - June 24th 2012, 09:21 PM

As Stephen said, you both are adults. Honestly I think after you turn 18, age gaps really aren't as big of a deal anymore. Your age gap isn't too big either, its working out so I wouldn't worry about it.
I wouldn't stay in a place with strict rules either. You should ask yourself would you be happy there? Maybe you can ask your boyfriend if you can come the next time he hangs out with some friends so that you can meet some new people.
Don't think you aren't up to expectations because its amazing that you put that much effort into school. A relationship with a 24 year old doesn't mean you aren't still an amazing person, age is just a number and it doesn't mean that he isn't a good enough guy for you. So don't mind your dad, honestly he's being a bit silly about this. Maybe as time goes on he will get more used to the idea. Could you possibly invite your boyfriend over to dinner so that your dad could get to know him? That might help him to warm up to you two being together.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor
Closed Thread