TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Relationships and Dating Ask here for advice on dates, break-ups and other relationship concerns.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Free Hugs Anyone? :)
Average Joe

Name: RayRay

Points: 8,544, Level: 13 Points: 8,544, Level: 13 Points: 8,544, Level: 13

Online Dating - August 14th 2013, 10:44 AM

Hey guys! (Prepare yourselves, this will be long).
Just wanted some advice/opinions on online dating/relationships. Has anyone ever been in a relationship with someone they met on the Internet, but have never actually met them face-to-face? The thing is, I never really believed in online dating or online relationships. I used to think: "How could you fall in love with someone you've never actually met?". Well, what d'ya know, I've somehow found myself in a relationship with someone on the Internet (I know, I'm such a hypocrite). But I really like this person, like a lot. And this person feels the same way about me (or so they say). It was actually them who initiated the relationship, and I just went along with it. I'm just wondering if I'm stupid, or if this thing going on is real, or what. I know they're not catfish, there's almost no evidence that suggests they are. I really really care about this person guys. I find myself smiling a lot more after I met them. I feel really happy with them. But I don't know if this is right. Any advice or opinions?

"Feel the fear and do it anyway."

"How are you going to save the world?"
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
ツ Wordღ Offline
Willing to help!
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Nathan

Points: 6,721, Level: 12 Points: 6,721, Level: 12 Points: 6,721, Level: 12

Re: Online Dating - August 14th 2013, 07:18 PM

Well a Lot of people have been in an onlie relationship(including me) I think that online relationships should be for being more prepared for irl relationships so don't ge attached or too serious but still have fun with it.

Life is like a roller coaster. It has ups and downs. But it's your choice to close your eyes or enjoy the ride.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,560, Level: 59 Points: 172,560, Level: 59 Points: 172,560, Level: 59

Re: Online Dating - August 15th 2013, 01:33 AM

It's totally not stupid at all! I won't go into loads of details, but I'll say I used to think the same way, that I'd never date online, until I met someone who I REALLY liked. We didn't end up dating, but the moral of the story is that it's not stupid at all and sometimes you just can't help who you fall with. You get to know them for their personality and it's not like you're not talking to them when you get the chance!

If you feel as if you really like this person, it's okay to date them. Just remember that online dating, or any relationship really, does require honesty, trust, and communication. With communication, you definitely can make this work!

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Re: Online Dating - August 15th 2013, 04:14 AM

Thanks for the advice guys . I really appreciate it.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount71

Edit avatar

Re: Online Dating - August 15th 2013, 04:31 AM

I've been in an online relationship before. I don't think it's stupid. I believe the feelings you can have for someone online can be very real, just as they can be for someone in person.

I've since decided that online-only doesn't work for me. I don't really desire a relationship where I can see the person at least once every couple of weeks. But, that's my choice, from my experiences. I still value the online relationships I had, and I still know many people who are happy in LDRs.

Congratulations on finding someone who makes you truly happy. That can be rare these days.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Points: 77,763, Level: 39 Points: 77,763, Level: 39 Points: 77,763, Level: 39

Re: Online Dating - August 16th 2013, 02:13 AM

There have been accounts of people falling in love online and then they met up in real life and things worked out. So it's not stupid because it has worked before. However, you do have to be careful. I believe if you're going to be in a relationship, you have to be able to see each other at some point. So if it's online, see if you can't meet up sometime. And if you do meet up, do it in a public place and/or with somebody you trust just to be safe.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Sistrurus Offline
Herpetologist in training
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Josh

Points: 13,568, Level: 16 Points: 13,568, Level: 16 Points: 13,568, Level: 16

Re: Online Dating - August 16th 2013, 03:31 AM

it can work. Hell I met my girlfriend on here and we dated for 22 months before she finally came down here. You do have to put work into them, and a lot of them don't work out but if you really care about them and will put the work into it then you can make them work.

<3 ‎"I'll never let you fall, I'll stand up with you forever. i'll be there through it all" <3
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Pirouette Offline
Just a girl strolling by
I've been here a while

Name: Rishy

Points: 19,789, Level: 20 Points: 19,789, Level: 20 Points: 19,789, Level: 20

Re: Online Dating - August 16th 2013, 04:21 AM

There is nothing wrong with online dating at all! And yeah, it is possible to fall in love with a person through the Internet since you're actualy developing feelings for them while talking to them online. However, I've never had any experiences with dating, so I personally would keep it to a friendship since you don't really know what this person is actually like.

[left]

"Imperfection is beauty;
madness is genius;
and its better to be absolutely ridiculous
than absolutely boring."

-Marilyn Monroe

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Re: Online Dating - August 16th 2013, 04:32 AM

Thank you so much for the advice guys! I'm glad you guys understand. And I'm glad to find out that these things do actually work. Again, thank you

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Brandon

Points: 30,381, Level: 25 Points: 30,381, Level: 25 Points: 30,381, Level: 25

Re: Online Dating - August 16th 2013, 05:42 AM

Online relationships can be a great thing since you have more opportunity of meeting people that have similar interests to you, but if you never meet in person or you don't meet that much...things can get really complicated. I'm not saying it's not do-able, but you have to have a certain level of commitment that you normally wouldn't need in a real-life relationship. If you don't have that commitment or understanding of what you gotta do to make the relationship work, it's probably going to fail. I've been through several online relationships that I felt pretty good about but they all failed because we eventually wanted that intimacy that phones and cameras can't give. Be very careful.
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Re: Online Dating - August 16th 2013, 06:28 AM

Thank you Brandon .. And thanks for the warning. Sometimes I need to remind myself that a lot.. Does anyone think I should talk about this with the person I'm dating?

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Skeleton Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Charlie

Points: 41,800, Level: 29 Points: 41,800, Level: 29 Points: 41,800, Level: 29

Re: Online Dating - August 16th 2013, 08:10 AM

Online dating is becoming more popular I think and there is nothing wrong with it. I'll admit, most of my relationships have started online and eventually we'd met up and carry on from there. My first one, we were together for two years before we finally managed to meet and it was very hard going those two years without seeing each other, which is something you should consider like Brandon said, not saying that it'll the same amount of time but eventually you'll get to the point where talking over the computer or over the phone won't be enough anymore and you'll want something more.
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23

Re: Online Dating - August 18th 2013, 01:40 PM

Hm... Well, for starters, online dating isn't for everyone. Yes it is becoming more popular and accepted. I tried it out and all I could think was that I would be to embarrassed to tell my parents and friends about HOW I met the guy if I met him online, so I went on 1 date that was just... meh (the guy was wearing basketball shorts and a golf t-shirt... His pictures showed him dressing better and that to me just seemed inconsiderate to show up to a date dressed THAT sloppy, that wasn't my only issue)... After that I deleted my account...

As for being unsure about the account being a catfish or "not all it seems" (ex. he's really an asshole in real life). My policy was always to be at least a little guarded online, only give enough away to reciprocate in getting to know the person a little so that you have an idea if you're interested then insist on meeting in person after that. Personally, I never would have dated someone online who I had no way of easily meeting in person after a few conversations.

For me, it's one thing to have a LDR where you USED to live near each other, like maybe your husband is a soldier and was sent on a tour in Afghanistan (ok, lots of other whys too, like one moving away, different colleges after high school etc.) BUUUUUUT for me, eliminating the physical connection all together just makes it harder and some how more superficial so you need to have plans to eventually meet in person (the sooner the better)... But regardless of WHY I think knowing each other in person is important, I think it adds a degree of safety because then it forces the person to be more honest about who they are. Of course, you should always meet in a public place and avoid being alone with them at first (like don't accept a ride, make up a reason why you don't need it! and never ask, that's a huge deal breaker for me which is why there was no second date with that guy )

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions
Closed Thread