TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Relationships and Dating Ask here for advice on dates, break-ups and other relationship concerns.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
kpmarshall Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 6,124, Level: 11 Points: 6,124, Level: 11 Points: 6,124, Level: 11

Cant get over ex-boyfriend - September 24th 2013, 08:08 PM

I dated my boyfriend for 3 years and we went to the same college together far away from home. We decided upon a mutual break up because it felt as if we became more of just friends. Over the summer I decided I wanted to get back with him and we went on a few dates but nothing serious. I then tried to move on, but now Im back at the same college he attends and I would like to get back with him but he said "I don't think that's what I want right now." However, I cannot get over him and continue to be upset over it.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
An Inspiration For The Broken
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Mark

Points: 17,323, Level: 19 Points: 17,323, Level: 19 Points: 17,323, Level: 19

Re: Cant get over ex-boyfriend - September 24th 2013, 10:49 PM

Well, I would say that it's okay to be upset over this, but not for too long. I mean, I get it that you went out with your ex-boyfriend for 3 years, and that must've meant a lot to you. However, since he said "I don't think that's what I want right now.", he could mean it one of two ways: he just has a lot of things going on in his life right now that he needs to take care of and he doesn't want to be in a relationship with you or any other girl right now, or that's just his way of saying "I don't want to be with you no longer." I don't mean to say for sure that he just wants you to go away, but it's possible that he could mean it that way. I would suggest just giving him space and time to get things sorted out, and when you feel like the time is right, talk to him about getting back together with him. The next time that you decide to talk to him when you feel like all is settled is completely up to you since you're the only one that knows him best. If for whatever reason things don't work out between you two, you can either just remain friends, or just let each other go for the better. It's hard saying that, but you just got to be prepared for this to go either way. Don't blame yourself too hard if it turns out that this relationship wasn't meant to be.

I hope that you'll take this into consideration.

“The main thing is realizing that even if you feel terrible for a while, that’s not how you’re going to feel the whole time. . . . Things change if you just keep moving.” - Gary Vaynerchuk
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Twinge Offline
Forever we'll just lay here
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Vint Fall

Points: 14,243, Level: 17 Points: 14,243, Level: 17 Points: 14,243, Level: 17

Re: Cant get over ex-boyfriend - September 25th 2013, 07:06 PM

You can't get over a 3 year relationship in a couple of months, probably not even a year. Commitment is like that, it stays with you despite their presence. And I get the feeling. It can be incredibly painful.
You're forced to be in this place where everything reminds of you of him. With time, you get stronger with that pain. That's what I learned through personal experience. Everybody says Time heals everything, and it's true.
The point is to accept what happened and to stop thinking about him (stop the thoughts from coming back and signifying what you lack), make some valid changes in your life. Maybe you're back in college, but that doesn't mean you can't gain new hobbies, search random errands and hang out with people that don't remind you of the past. This is possible, and it's maybe one of the best options for you to heal right now.
It's time to start thinking about yourself. Get back on track. With life, with everything. Obviously, if it's what you would like. Be patient. A long struggle is definitely worth it when you're finally healed and look back.

I moved back while
my head was turned.

Upside down
closer to the end.

Afraid of the dark
within future times.

I'm drowning there,
my final chase.
Closed Thread