TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Relationships and Dating Ask here for advice on dates, break-ups and other relationship concerns.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Moomin234 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 5,265, Level: 10 Points: 5,265, Level: 10 Points: 5,265, Level: 10

Exclamation I think my girlfriend is pregnant - help! - December 7th 2014, 11:09 PM

Hey how's it going.

Me and my girlfriend have been in a sexually active relationship for a while now. Recently however, she began the contraceptive pill. The instructions told us we had to wait a week before having sex, and on the seventh day we had did (about four times).

Two days later she accidentally bumped her breast and it apparently hurt way more than it should, her mum made a joke about it to do with pregnancy, and she started to panic. I managed to calm her down and rationalise it and all that crap, but then the next morning, her parents were cooking breakfast, and the smell made her feel really really sick, and she was nauseous the whole morning. She was nautilus the next morning and the next morning (although not nearly as badly). Her stomach has also been making weird noises. (She also got really light headed at one point and had to lie down)

Do you think that she is pregnant? I'm really freaked out, neither of us are ready to be parents, we're way too young and we'd both probably be shit at it! I can barely take care of myself! And if she is pregnant, would there be any reason that she would be denied an abortion if she wanted one (we're in the UK).

Last edited by Moomin234; December 7th 2014 at 11:13 PM. Reason: didn't want to look a pleb - spelling mistake
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
......nobody Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Points: 14,649, Level: 17 Points: 14,649, Level: 17 Points: 14,649, Level: 17

Re: I think my girlfriend is pregnant - help! - December 7th 2014, 11:21 PM

Well, has she gotten a pregnancy test? You can find them in any drug store and don't have to be 18 to purchase. I wouldn't get too scared and worked up about it until you took a home pregnancy test.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
anonymouswhale Offline
Every note makes up a symphony
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Kat

Points: 11,142, Level: 15 Points: 11,142, Level: 15 Points: 11,142, Level: 15

Re: I think my girlfriend is pregnant - help! - December 7th 2014, 11:46 PM

Typically, she wouldn't express symptoms of pregnancy so soon afterwards. The pill itself is NOTORIOUS for causing nausea in many young women. I really highly doubt that she is pregnant at this point. I think she is experiencing side effects of the pill.

Have her look up her medication on Google to see the side effects.

"It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness"-Chinese Proverb

Piano, Flute, Bassoon, Acoustic Guitar, Cello, Electric Guitar

LiveHelp Operator August 13th, 2012 General Forum ModeratorDecember 22, 2012 Videos Officer March 19th 2013
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Points: 32,471, Level: 26 Points: 32,471, Level: 26 Points: 32,471, Level: 26

Re: I think my girlfriend is pregnant - help! - December 7th 2014, 11:47 PM

If she was pregnant she would not be getting symptoms that soon. It's very likely that her new birth control is making her feel that way. She should read all the information about side effects and what is a normal amount of time to feel them. It's very common to get pregnancy like symptoms when starting a new birth control.

If she is really worried, like Sparrow said, she can take a pregnancy test. She has to wait at least fourteen days from the time she had sex before she can take one though. Any sooner than that and the reading won't be accurate.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Points: 77,763, Level: 39 Points: 77,763, Level: 39 Points: 77,763, Level: 39

Re: I think my girlfriend is pregnant - help! - December 7th 2014, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImprovisedStarlight View Post
Typically, she wouldn't express symptoms of pregnancy so soon afterwards. The pill itself is NOTORIOUS for causing nausea in many young women. I really highly doubt that she is pregnant at this point. I think she is experiencing side effects of the pill.

Have her look up her medication on Google to see the side effects.
This. I definitely think what she's feeling is due to the pill. Pregnancy symptoms don't show up for a few weeks when hormones start happening and causing things to go haywire. Most women get nauseous from the pill. If you waited 7 days to have sex then you should be okay. I recommend waiting this out to see if she gets her period. Also no, she won't be denied the option to get an abortion. I think she will need parent's permission but if you guys are only 17 I doubt her parents would deny it.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
FireHeart Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jade

Points: 8,056, Level: 13 Points: 8,056, Level: 13 Points: 8,056, Level: 13

Re: I think my girlfriend is pregnant - help! - December 8th 2014, 04:19 PM

Hey there,
I agree with everyone here, I don't think this is cause to panic. Birth control messes with your hormones and causes pregnancy-like side-effects. She would definitely be feeling those since she just started them. Plus, she wouldn't be feelings pregnancy signs until later. Try getting a pregnancy test just in case though, if anything it should calm down any panic you or your girlfriend might be feeling. Also, I would recommend using condoms if you don't already until she's gone through a full menstrual cycle on the pill just to be safe.
I hope this helped

HAPPINESS is just waiting for me to take it; I truly believe that now.
~SCARS
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Points: 11,504, Level: 15 Points: 11,504, Level: 15 Points: 11,504, Level: 15

Re: I think my girlfriend is pregnant - help! - December 11th 2014, 04:44 AM

I'd recommend condoms on your part and properly using them. Why? Because people cheat. It's not uncommon for someone in a relationship to cheat. Helps to protect you and her.

The second reason is that it is a form of birth control that you can control yourself. Since you feel too young to have a baby, take an active role in making sure that you have a smaller chance to produce a baby.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
LuckyCharmz Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Shannon

Points: 6,038, Level: 11 Points: 6,038, Level: 11 Points: 6,038, Level: 11

Re: I think my girlfriend is pregnant - help! - December 11th 2014, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lelola View Post
I'd recommend condoms on your part and properly using them. Why? Because people cheat. It's not uncommon for someone in a relationship to cheat. Helps to protect you and her.

The second reason is that it is a form of birth control that you can control yourself. Since you feel too young to have a baby, take an active role in making sure that you have a smaller chance to produce a baby.
This post, 100% is correct.

As already stated, she wouldn't be experiencing pregnancy symptoms that early on in a pregnancy. Since she's on birth control, it's been notoriously known to cause nausea in women. I've been there myself. It can/could cause her menstrual cycles to go haywire, until her body realizes that the birth control is trying to help regulate them. It could cause aches and pains, and nausea. It doesn't necessarily mean she's pregnant, although I don't blame you for worrying about it.

In the future, I'd highly recommend using condoms along with her regular birth control. Remember, birth control and condoms are never 100% effective. But, together, the chances of pregnancy are slim to none. You can take an active role in the prevention of a possible pregnancy and any STD's.
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
xxpaigiexx Offline
Up In The Clouds...
I can't get enough

Name: Paige

Points: 26,681, Level: 23 Points: 26,681, Level: 23 Points: 26,681, Level: 23

Re: I think my girlfriend is pregnant - help! - December 14th 2014, 05:38 PM

Hey there,

It sounds as though it is a little soon for any symptoms such as the ones she has. It takes weeks usually before there are any symptoms of pregnancy, not days. I would suggest getting your girlfriend to take a pregnancy test if her period is late. No contraception is 100% effective, that's why it's best to try to be on two forms of contraception, e.g the pill and condoms. I think by the sounds of it you are both probably panicking for nothing. Get your girlfriend to take a test to put both your minds at ease.
In the event your girlfriend was pregnant then she could get an abortion if that is what you both wanted.

Best of luck to you,
Paige

Facta Non Verba
Deeds not words
Closed Thread