TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Relationships and Dating Ask here for advice on dates, break-ups and other relationship concerns.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
peirce_the_kay Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Kay or basil

Points: 1,338, Level: 5 Points: 1,338, Level: 5 Points: 1,338, Level: 5

Question am i wrong for this - February 4th 2021, 05:16 PM

i recently broke up with my girlfriend due to us not talking for days on end, i still love her but i cant be in a relationship without us communicating. am i wrong for doing this?
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

I can't get enough

Name: Sam
Pronouns: she/her

Points: 40,752, Level: 29 Points: 40,752, Level: 29 Points: 40,752, Level: 29

Re: am i wrong for this - February 5th 2021, 02:02 AM

You're definitely not wrong for ending a relationship where your needs weren't being met. That being said, if you still love her, perhaps the two of you could have a conversation about your communication issues. If you haven't talked about that before, it could be that she didn't even realize it was an issue. Having an honest conversation about it might help the two of you patch things up, if that's what you want. However, you definitely don't need to do that if you would rather let the relationship go and start moving on. Regardless of what you choose to do, you're definitely not wrong for following what feels right for you.

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Psithurism Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Amanda

Points: 840, Level: 4 Points: 840, Level: 4 Points: 840, Level: 4

Re: am i wrong for this - February 5th 2021, 04:49 AM

I'm sorry to hear that you're going through a breakup. I know how difficult that can be, even when it's a decision that feels right for you. I think that anytime you have to make a decision like this, it's important to take some time to yourself and engage with things in life that you enjoy. Taking some time to be alone and at peace with yourself can really help you clear your head and more easily make decisions regarding your relationships with others.

Knowing what you want in a relationship, including the amount of communication that you expect to receive, shows that you have self awareness. This is one of the most important qualities that you need to have in order to have a healthy relationship. Self awareness is the ability to understand yourself and what you want. The other important thing is to take that self awareness and turn it into communication. You have to tell your partner what you need from them in order to make the relationship work for you. After you've sufficiently communicated your desires to your partner, it's up to them to understand what you need and to make it happen. If they're not able to do that, whether through a lack of trying or just a lack of compatibility, then you absolutely have the right to decide that the relationship isn't working for you.

There's nothing wrong with knowing what you want and choosing to pursue it. Some relationships will work and some won't. Be true to yourself and you'll find the ones that last!
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Mallika Offline
HelpLINK Mentor

Regular TeenHelper

Name: Mallika

Points: 11,409, Level: 15 Points: 11,409, Level: 15 Points: 11,409, Level: 15

Re: am i wrong for this - February 5th 2021, 12:49 PM

Hi Kay,

I don't think you were being unreasonable by deciding to break up due to lack of communication. Is there a reason/incident that preceded the period of no communication? Perhaps a fight? Did she hurt you in any way?

Either way, you're know your situation best. Trust your instinct. It would be nice to have an honest conversation about this matter where you discuss how you're feeling with her, either to get a closure and move on, or if you want to get back to being in a relationship with her. However, if you feel there is little to gain from having a conversation with her (it happens, sometimes relationships are broken beyond recovery), then you might want to think of looking ahead.

Take care! And feel free to PM me if you want to discuss this matter in greater detail.

~ Seize each day and live it like your last ~

HelpLINK Mentor | Forum Moderator

Closed Thread