TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Relationships and Dating Ask here for advice on dates, break-ups and other relationship concerns.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Maiden Offline
Bring It On
Average Joe

Name: Liadan

Points: 13,453, Level: 16 Points: 13,453, Level: 16 Points: 13,453, Level: 16

Dating someone who's depressed = beautiful disaster. - August 15th 2010, 04:50 AM

This is more of a rant than anything.

Man, things just suck at the moment. After two years of being with my girlfriend, she's finally dumped me. For the past year and a half she's been struggling with depression of some form and she completely blames me for our break-up. She's been making me feel incredibly guilty and saying I wasn't there for her in the past few months which is a bit true- her depression got way way too much for me and I couldn't help her as much anymore because I was so stressed out by my own stuff. Whenever I tried to talk to her about my own problems, she'd always turn it back around to be about her, even if it had nothing to do with her. Like I'd be complaining about something my sister did and she'd starting saying things like I blame her for that... And I still have no idea how she made those conclusions. I tried so so so hard to be there for her and to support her but nothing I ever did made her any better. I loved her so much but in her paranoia, she stopped believing me. Nothing I ever did made her happy. I tried so many things.

And now I'm being told all about her new friends (whom she's known all of a month) who are so much more supportive of her than I am and who understand her so much better than me and I feel so... betrayed... and just hurt. I tried so hard to never hurt her and to make her happy and she gave me nothing in return. I've never even really gotten a thank you for anything I did, only accusations of why I didn't do better and guilt-tripping over how badly I did.

It hurts so much and there's nothing I can do about it. She's so paranoid and thinks everything I do is an attempt to get back together with her. This morning she told me we can't even be friends anymore because apparently I've been harrassing her- what actually happened was I tried to ask her if she thought we'd ever get back together, but she says that made her uncomfortable and she doesn't want to talk about our relationship so we can't be friends at all.

Man. Drama. Everywhere. And it's so stupid.

I found Kelly Clarkson's song 'Beautiful Disaster' and it pretty much describes exactly how I felt being in a relationship with her.

Ever mind the Rule of Three: Three times what thou givest returns to thee: This lesson well, thou must learn: Thee only gets what thou dost earn.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Tess* Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Tess

Points: 12,611, Level: 16 Points: 12,611, Level: 16 Points: 12,611, Level: 16

Re: Dating someone who's depressed = beautiful disaster. - August 15th 2010, 06:48 AM

Oh wow I'm sorry this happened. Some people can be so cruel.
Have you told her how hard you tried? Have you told her how much she's hurting you?
If not, I think you should write her a letter or email telling her. Then cut all contact with her until she smartens up. This is a lot of unnecessary hurt for you. I think both of you need space. Try talking to her again in a few months. You deserve better.

How's your life? It's been a while
God, it's good to see you smile
<3

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Daydreamer Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Megan

Points: 10,990, Level: 15 Points: 10,990, Level: 15 Points: 10,990, Level: 15

Re: Dating someone who's depressed = beautiful disaster. - August 15th 2010, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tess* View Post

If not, I think you should write her a letter or email telling her.

I agree with this 100%

She is the one that ended the relationship, and blaming you for that is unfair. Yes, she was going through a very difficult time and you were unable to help her in the way that she needed, and that must have been very hard for both of you. That doesn't mean that you didn't TRY to help her. I'm so sorry you're going through this, but please don't feel guilty. She'd probably in pain over the break up too, and trying to make you out to be the problem to make herself feel better. I'm so sorry you're going through this, and I hope that she can begin to see things your way, and not say those types of things to you.

-Megan

“For it was not into my ear you whispered, but into my heart. It was not my lips you kissed, but my soul.” 9.12.09 <3

Tumblr http://lovelylaughter.tumblr.com/
Closed Thread