TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Relationships and Dating Ask here for advice on dates, break-ups and other relationship concerns.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Rach0123 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 7,617, Level: 12 Points: 7,617, Level: 12 Points: 7,617, Level: 12

Soon to be marine boyfriend, marry young? Move on base? Put college on hold? - October 4th 2011, 05:23 AM

I'm 16 years old my boyfriend is almost 18, in January. He's going into the marines once he graduates. That's two summers away and not far at all. I plan on going to nursing school to be an RN. The problem is I play softball and could get a scholarship. but to be with my boyfriend I can't accept it because e can be stationed anywhere. I really love him. And I know I'm not to young because you just know when it's true. Im worried my parents won't support this situation. But I personally know it's worth giving up. And I'm still unsure how to tell my parents this is what I want. Any advice? On anything here?, I'd appreciate it
-rachel
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Name: Lissa

Points: 22,249, Level: 21 Points: 22,249, Level: 21 Points: 22,249, Level: 21

Re: Soon to be marine boyfriend, marry young? Move on base? Put college on hold? - October 4th 2011, 01:16 PM

You should put yourself first. You have no idea what's going to happen in the future, and sorry, but you ARE young. My boyfriend (before he met me) turned down a scholarship to a school in Florida because of a girlfriend back home. Guess what? They broke up anyway.

There is absolutely no reason to rush and get married just to be on base with him. Let him go through boot camp and all his training first and see if you guys even still want to be together. If you can't handle being apart for just boot camp and training, then you'll never be able to deal with him getting deployed.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Proud Military Girlfriend
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Shannon

Points: 32,429, Level: 25 Points: 32,429, Level: 25 Points: 32,429, Level: 25

Re: Soon to be marine boyfriend, marry young? Move on base? Put college on hold? - October 4th 2011, 04:42 PM

Lissa said it right on. Usually, I'm very supportive of military couples, however, you are young. You're 16 years old, and your boyfriend is nearly 18 and choosing a life for himself. Is he expecting you to drop everything to live with him? If so, you shouldn't. Focus on yourself. Education is extremely important, and even though the military has wonderful benefits for their soldiers and spouses, it doesn't always work out the way we want it.

Also, to live on base with him, you'd have to be legally married, and to 18 years old too.

I may wear the glass slippers; But my hero wears combat boots <3 I love you, Lieutenant

HelpLink Mentor 6/13/2011
Pregnancy & Childcare Moderator 11/26/2011
Fashion & Style Moderator 12/28/2011
Social Groups Moderator 12/28/2011
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Dr.Bobby Offline
Psychologist
Senior TeenHelper

Points: 11,362, Level: 15 Points: 11,362, Level: 15 Points: 11,362, Level: 15

Re: Soon to be marine boyfriend, marry young? Move on base? Put college on hold? - October 4th 2011, 05:04 PM

Rachel, take a deep breath here, you've got two years to make a decision!

It's understandable to want to plan things out, especially when there's a goal in mind (marriage), which is driven by emotion (love), and you have a particular person in mind (him!). However, as they say, "Time tells". So, although you might feel better making a decision now, there's really too much time btw'n now and when you'd have to execute that decision, too much that's now unaccountable for can still affect the end result.

Sit with it for a while and see how life unfolds.

PM me with the link of the post you'd like me to respond to.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
VampirePrincess Offline
Ice Princess
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Crystal

Points: 13,983, Level: 17 Points: 13,983, Level: 17 Points: 13,983, Level: 17

Re: Soon to be marine boyfriend, marry young? Move on base? Put college on hold? - October 4th 2011, 07:05 PM

Situations have a way of working themselves out over time. No one, not even your soulmate, is worth putting your entire life on hold for. I say stick with your plan. Be your own person while he is his own person. He'll visit you from time to time, you'll get your degree, and when you're done with school he'll have a nice sum of money from the military to pay off your student loans with and to use for your wedding!

A lot can happen in two years, it really can. Enjoy what time you have together now, and when it gets closer you'll know what the right decision for you is.

{{sending PINTEREST invites! just ask!}}

Volume of a Doughnut
V = 2(pi)^2 * R(r)^2

(#6 (permalink)) Old
CherriesBlossom Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Katie

Points: 15,041, Level: 17 Points: 15,041, Level: 17 Points: 15,041, Level: 17

Re: Soon to be marine boyfriend, marry young? Move on base? Put college on hold? - October 4th 2011, 09:47 PM

This is always a tough situation. I feel like if I were in this situation I would accept the scholoarship, get an education, and then see if you two are still meant to be. If you really want to be together and love eachother than you two will find a way. But no sacrafice your education for him. If you feel that comfortable then around the time he leaves you two could get engaged but you don't have to rush into marriage.

Don't ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Angeal Offline
Average Joe

Name: Ranada Givens

Points: 11,189, Level: 15 Points: 11,189, Level: 15 Points: 11,189, Level: 15

Re: Soon to be marine boyfriend, marry young? Move on base? Put college on hold? - October 10th 2011, 05:38 PM

Hey Rachel I'm almost in the same situation, but not at the same time. My boyfriend is going into the army, he turns 18 in March and I turn 18 in April. We plan on getting married not too long after my birthday(still havn't told dad) All I can say is talk to your boyfriend about it and see if you can't work out a plan for you to take the scholarship and go to college. If not just wait till hes stationed somewhere and go to a community college, plus there are always online corses you can take. Really I would just follow your heart and talk things out with him. Best of luck.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
fou4thdimension Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: AJ

Points: 10,232, Level: 14 Points: 10,232, Level: 14 Points: 10,232, Level: 14

Re: Soon to be marine boyfriend, marry young? Move on base? Put college on hold? - October 10th 2011, 08:16 PM

I have to agree with what many have said. Don't give up the scholarship and your future. You are still young, and until you're put in the situation where you realize what you've just given up and can't have it again, it's a bad place to be. It'd be best to take the scholarship and to talk to your bf. Where there's a will, there's a way. You'll be able to find a way to make things work with him still in military and you at school.
Closed Thread