TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Relationships and Dating Ask here for advice on dates, break-ups and other relationship concerns.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Points: 77,763, Level: 39 Points: 77,763, Level: 39 Points: 77,763, Level: 39

Dating and Friends - October 25th 2011, 10:23 PM

So a year has gone by since my awful breakup with my ex, and I feel I'm finally ready to date again. Well I have a date for Friday, and I am very excited. He's very sweet to me, much sweeter than my ex ever was.

Problem is, (as shallow as this may sound or whatever) a few guys like me and are getting upset. One of my best friends, Jacob, won't talk to me now. We went to the movie with our other two best friends, Danielle and Shannon, and he was completely fine. He was clinging to me however, and we cuddled a little bit in the back of his truck while Shannon and Danielle sang. Well yesterday he was telling Shannon that he is starting to like me (second time around, first time he got hurt by me flirting with another guy when I didn't know Jacob liked me) and then he said "Does Nicole always makeout with guys she goes to the movies alone with?" I have no idea what that even means. I'm pretty sure he knows I haven't been on a date in forever.

My other friend Tim is so confident that I am going to realize that I do have feelings for him back. He is starting to scare me a little, he keeps talking about having sex and how I will love it and how persuasive he is. He said once he starts making out with me, I'll want to do it with him. And he says it is going to happen when we go camping. He's not the type of guy to really make me do anything, but its still a little weird and kind of makes me feel uncomfortable.

Overall, I guess I just feel like I can't do what I want without someone getting upset. I'm tired of changing things just to please other people. I want to go on the date with this guy, but I don't really know him that well. I'm not sure if I want to sacrifice my friendships for him either.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Points: 77,427, Level: 39 Points: 77,427, Level: 39 Points: 77,427, Level: 39

Re: Dating and Friends - October 26th 2011, 12:24 AM

You shouldn't have to choose between friends and dates/potential boyfriends. I think you should go on this date and enjoy yourself! =) Let Jacob figure things out on his own. Unfortunately, you are always going to meet people who will like you. Does that mean you should have to abstain from dating other people until they stop liking you? Nope! Should you suspend your own desires in order to please everyone else? Nope! Not all feelings are returned - that's just life. Jacob will have to accept that eventually. As for Tim... he sounds like a real creep. He may not be the type to force himself on you, but he's still saying stuff that makes you feel uncomfortable. I'd have a chat with him about it - maybe get one of your girl friends to back you up, if they've overheard him say anything you mentioned.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Dr.Bobby Offline
Psychologist
Senior TeenHelper

Points: 11,362, Level: 15 Points: 11,362, Level: 15 Points: 11,362, Level: 15

Re: Dating and Friends - October 26th 2011, 01:00 AM

Nicole, I'm assuming here that the new date isn't Tim. I hope not, for your sake, b/c he sounds fairly self impressed and assured of a sexual outcome here, in the absence of your participation or consent! This isn't a good sign.

Dating has it's perils, and one of them is the impact it has on your friends. Friends get possessive, they develop feelings and attachments, even if unspoken. So, your new sweetie represents a challenge to that, it's like they're losing you.

If you value the friendship, you should address this directly, and kindly, providing reassurance about the friendship and the place it has for you in your life. That way, you can explore a new relationship and not risk losing a valued friend in the process.

PM me with the link of the post you'd like me to respond to.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Ambiance Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Points: 16,100, Level: 18 Points: 16,100, Level: 18 Points: 16,100, Level: 18

Re: Dating and Friends - October 26th 2011, 02:10 AM

Keyword-- you're FRIENDSHIPS. You're lovelife shouldn't be implicated by your friends' feelings. They like you, you like someone that sounds pretty great. Tough **** for them, harsh as it may sound, you shouldn't change what works for you to suit other people, even if they are close to you. Ted sounds like a creep. I'm sorry, he just does. I'm sure you know him in real life, and it seems quite different there, but it's strange and also a form of sexual harrassment for him to keep talking to you in such a way if you don't want him to. You shouldn't have to deal with ANYONE implicating that you are inevitably going to have sex with them. And for future reference (I'm not implying that you meant anything by it, I've been in similar situations myself), if a guy likes you, cuddling is enough of a sign that you like him back for him to run with it.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Points: 77,763, Level: 39 Points: 77,763, Level: 39 Points: 77,763, Level: 39

Re: Dating and Friends - October 26th 2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLikeToMoveIt View Post
Keyword-- you're FRIENDSHIPS. You're lovelife shouldn't be implicated by your friends' feelings. They like you, you like someone that sounds pretty great. Tough **** for them, harsh as it may sound, you shouldn't change what works for you to suit other people, even if they are close to you. Ted sounds like a creep. I'm sorry, he just does. I'm sure you know him in real life, and it seems quite different there, but it's strange and also a form of sexual harrassment for him to keep talking to you in such a way if you don't want him to. You shouldn't have to deal with ANYONE implicating that you are inevitably going to have sex with them. And for future reference (I'm not implying that you meant anything by it, I've been in similar situations myself), if a guy likes you, cuddling is enough of a sign that you like him back for him to run with it.
I know that cuddling is a sign, its just we're best friends so I figured he didn't think anything of it either. It was really cold out anyway. I know that their friendships, its just I hate hurting people, especially those close to me.

Aparently Jacob thought Danielle and Shannon were serious about going to see the movie at the same time as my date, and so he got mad when I said he couldn't come. Why would he want to come on my date anyway if he likes me? Seems like the last thing I'd want to be doing

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
judymason Offline
Banned
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 7,528, Level: 12 Points: 7,528, Level: 12 Points: 7,528, Level: 12

Re: Dating and Friends - October 27th 2011, 07:24 AM

The best thing to do is to confront Jacob regarding your true feelings towards him in order to clarify things with him, you can also tell him that you are being uncomfortable when he talks about making out with you in order to fix the issue, if he really likes you he will do something to prove it.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: Erin Jude

Points: 9,644, Level: 14 Points: 9,644, Level: 14 Points: 9,644, Level: 14

Re: Dating and Friends - October 27th 2011, 09:44 PM

HEY!

YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE TO CHOOSE BETWEEN FRIENDS AND DATING. SO I WOULD JUST BE HONEST. TELL YOUR FRIENDS THAT YOU ARE HAPPY AND WANT TO DATE OTHER PEOPLE (KINDA LIKE YOUR BREAKING UP WITH THEM).

AND WHEN IT COMES TO TIM IF YOU HAVE FEELINGS FOR HIM BUT HE SCARES YOU THEN I SUGGEST YOU TELL HIM TO STOP. HE SHOULDN'T BE MAKING YOU UNCOMFORTABLE.

GOOD LUCK! TELL ME WHAT HAPPENS!!
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread