TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Relationships and Dating Ask here for advice on dates, break-ups and other relationship concerns.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
overlord207 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 9,920, Level: 14 Points: 9,920, Level: 14 Points: 9,920, Level: 14

Does Getting Back Together Ever Work..? - December 18th 2011, 10:34 PM

So my girlfriend broke up with me a little more than a month ago and at first I was kinda depressed but now I have gotten over it. I still think about her almost everyday which I can't really help but I don't get too upset about it. I still have feelings for her, not enough to get me upset but enough to not motivate me to talk to other girls..

Should I talk to her about this? Does it ever work out or would I just be depressed again.. I am at a loss of what to do because I still think about her often.. Thanks.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Chris Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Chris

Points: 27,759, Level: 24 Points: 27,759, Level: 24 Points: 27,759, Level: 24

Re: Does Getting Back Together Ever Work..? - December 18th 2011, 10:50 PM

Well, alot of relationships succeed after break ups - and all relationships have fights that usually result in a break up. But we are not talking about an average relationship - we are talking about you. Will you ever get hurt again if you get back together? I'm almost 100% positive. All relationships have those ups and downs. You need to figure out what is best for you.

Has she contacted you after the break up?
Why did she break up with you?

You need to answer those questions. if she hasn't contacted you at all and she broke up with you for a good reason - then I think its time to move on because I doubt she will even go back into a relationship.

Honestly, If I was in your shoes I would probably move on. Since You already got over most of the hurt, why go back and get another dose of it. I'm sure you still like her, but you will eventually like or love others as well.

Think about yourself and what you think is best. Sometimes you have to follow your mind over your heart.

Best wishes,
Chris

"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.”
— Malala Yousafzai
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
SouthernBelle. Offline
InsaneAnnie
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Anna

Points: 22,262, Level: 21 Points: 22,262, Level: 21 Points: 22,262, Level: 21

Re: Does Getting Back Together Ever Work..? - December 18th 2011, 11:28 PM

Okay, take it from someone who's standing on the opposite side of the fence in this situation.

I broke up with my ex-boyfriend about a month ago. When I broke up with him, I felt totally ignored and thought he was talking to other girls. It wasn't a good reason at all, and I didn't really attempt to talk things through. I just ended it, which I regret like hell, even though I haven't told him that, nor have I talked to him since. I broke up with him for a good reason but went about it entirely the wrong way, and didn't hear him out at all. I miss him pretty badly, but even though I think he still likes me, I can't bring myself to talk to him because I'm pretty damned ashamed of myself.

Point being?

Try talking to her. Just a simple: "Are you angry at me?" could be a pretty good conversation starter. Or you could just move on. It's your choice. Good luck.

Anna's Personal Keys to Happiness
1. Do what you want within the bounds of reason, whenever you want to, and regret nothing. 2. If you have an opinion, don't beat around the bush, or there isn't a point in saying it. 3. Don't keep the company of anyone who won't like you and will try to change you.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Points: 77,763, Level: 39 Points: 77,763, Level: 39 Points: 77,763, Level: 39

Re: Does Getting Back Together Ever Work..? - December 19th 2011, 07:10 AM

I think it can only work if the problem that caused the breakup has been fixed. Otherwise, if it didn't work the first time then most likely it won't work the second.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Come get some Offline
Not a n00b

Points: 8,041, Level: 13 Points: 8,041, Level: 13 Points: 8,041, Level: 13

Re: Does Getting Back Together Ever Work..? - December 19th 2011, 12:17 PM

yes it can work go experience other girls first tho.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Pending...Work in progess
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Matt

Points: 15,667, Level: 18 Points: 15,667, Level: 18 Points: 15,667, Level: 18

Re: Does Getting Back Together Ever Work..? - December 19th 2011, 01:07 PM

I would not even mention that at this point, it's been only a month since the break up. I broke up with my ex girlfriend a month and a half ago, she suggested we stay as friends, however she would approach me inappropriately making it too obvious that she wants to get back together, trying too hard to get her friends involved, trying too hard to a reaction from me whenever she tells me I'm worthless, etc.

Quite frankly it's very annoying and she's been repulsing me since she asked to stay friends. I would wait for some more time to pass to even mention the possibility of getting back together, the break up is still fresh in her mind and the last thing she'd want to hear is to patch things up, especially coming from the person she just dumped.

I say just keep going your own way until more time has passed.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
theawesomeman Offline
Average Joe

Name: Jacob

Points: 11,195, Level: 15 Points: 11,195, Level: 15 Points: 11,195, Level: 15

Re: Does Getting Back Together Ever Work..? - December 19th 2011, 03:04 PM

All i can tell you is that youve got about a 70% chance of it working if you broke up with her.
If she broke up with you you have about a 35% chance and if it was mutual then about a 10% chance
i learned this from past experience
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Bonjour Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Devon Nicole

Points: 9,931, Level: 14 Points: 9,931, Level: 14 Points: 9,931, Level: 14

Re: Does Getting Back Together Ever Work..? - December 20th 2011, 12:14 AM

It depends on why you broke up in the first place. if two people get back together, they will still have the problems they did before. Some things are fixable, while others (Like lack of trust) are not. Do you know why she broke up with you? Did the break up seem premeditated or in the heat of the moment? (like during a fight) Try talking to her a little to see how she feels about the breakup, but still give her space or else you might come off clingy. Also, remember that the the fault isn't always on the dumped. Sometimes the dumper might have been a bad communicator or had unrealistic expectations.

I think that if both people are willing to put in the effort, that it can work out. Best wishes (:
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
overlord207 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 9,920, Level: 14 Points: 9,920, Level: 14 Points: 9,920, Level: 14

Re: Does Getting Back Together Ever Work..? - December 20th 2011, 01:54 AM

Well the reason she told me was that I wasn't fun to be around anymore, which partly was true because I was busy with school and stuff. I was really stressed and tired from studies so I didn't spend much time with her. So I'm not sure what the problem to fix is, I am not stressed out with studies anymore and I miss her.
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
craz33me Offline
because...cats.
I've been here a while

Name: Ciara(:

Points: 18,635, Level: 19 Points: 18,635, Level: 19 Points: 18,635, Level: 19

Re: Does Getting Back Together Ever Work..? - December 20th 2011, 02:02 AM

I had a friend whose boyfriend broke up with her because he was "trying to get his life together" They are now back together and stronger than ever.
So I believe so.

But in some cases, I don't.
I have a best friend, I went out with him for awhile. He broke up with me cause he wasn't sure I was his "one".

We went back out a year later.. Broke up again.

So really, I think it just depends. But I believe if it's meant to be, they'll find their way back together.

A beautiful thing is never perfect.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
planos Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 7,391, Level: 12 Points: 7,391, Level: 12 Points: 7,391, Level: 12

Re: Does Getting Back Together Ever Work..? - December 20th 2011, 02:58 AM

yah getting back together does work in some cases, its really depends on how you coping with the source of the problem that making you and her broke up at the first place. If you and her can work it out, there is no problem to get back together. Based on my own experience, me and my partner was broken up last year for 2 months, and we settled our problems and now move on with our life, our love now goes stronger than before the break up happen.
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Points: 19,936, Level: 20 Points: 19,936, Level: 20 Points: 19,936, Level: 20

Re: Does Getting Back Together Ever Work..? - December 20th 2011, 06:42 PM

As others have said, it depends how significant the problem which caused you to break up is as far as your relationship goes. My ex and I were together for just under half a year, broke up, got back together and lasted a year and a half before breaking up for much the same reason as the last time, only with more finality (at my instigation it has to be said). So it really depends on whether you can resolve the problem and do so properly rather than burying it as my ex and I ultimately tried. Insofar as how to fix the problem of "not being fun to be around"...other than being more upbeat in your demeanour and making an effort to spend time together and enjoy things, I'm not sure what to suggest as that's quite subjective and depends entirely on how both of you are around each other. You can certainly try both of the things I suggested, but if she isn't receptive then that's probably your cue to look elsewhere unfortunately. At the end of the day, both of you need to be on board with things for it to work.

Hope that helps and take care.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick
Closed Thread