TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Malik

Points: 7,444, Level: 12 Points: 7,444, Level: 12 Points: 7,444, Level: 12

what do I do if people are actually PROHIBITING me from telling them about my depression? - July 29th 2014, 12:22 PM

I am not quite sure where to post this thread since there isn't one that this thread would fit in perfectly..

Anyway, a doctor I recently started seeing is nothing but a pain in the butt. seriously. He is very strict and won't be easy. He does not care about a traumatic event that resulted in forced revocation of pen pals, as well as membership of a site, and in general, people getting away with misconduct just because it is online. He won't let me talk to him about it AT ALL. He does not use friendly language at all, he uses strict terms.

Like this past school year, I was home-schooled for several weeks of that year but he said things to me like "the people at your school don't ever want you to come back" and that hurts my feelings. He also says that I get stuck on things and says something about autism that I take HEAVY offense to. All I need is a problem solved. And no one has gotten off their lazy behinds and done it for me.

And what do I do if a doctor actually forcibly prescribes a certain type of medication to me, or increases the dose of it, even if I beg him pretty please not to?

My parents are actually trying to ground me and take away privileges only because I cry literally every day. That is not a bad behavior but I have recently got in trouble just for crying. They stopped caring. I need them to help me in doing one favor for me by resolving a conflict. If anyone succeeded in convincing these people that I was innocent, I would be much happier. I have hoped so much that this would blow over and finally be back to normal but I haven't had any luck after about 7.5 months.

I don't think I can handle this summer for much longer. I am ready for school to start, seriously. I usually enjoy summer but this one is nowhere near fun due to a forced revocation of a piece of recreation all caused by a mistake and lied on for something I didn't even do in the first place. I am stuck in my house which is basically a dungeon because of nothing fun to do and crying and unbearable tortorous pain.

I need to be allowed to talk to someone whenever I need to. How does one avoid receiving a harsh consequence when someone else does something wrong but someone jumps to conclusion and blames a random person for it?

I would also like to know how to be allowed to have a different doctor if I am not comfortable with this one.

Last edited by Lizzie; July 29th 2014 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Moved to the depression forum.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Points: 24,570, Level: 22 Points: 24,570, Level: 22 Points: 24,570, Level: 22

Re: what do I do if people are actually PROHIBITING me from telling them about my depression? - July 29th 2014, 04:21 PM

First, I'm going to start with something you said in your post.
Quote:
All I need is a problem solved. And no one has gotten off their lazy behinds and done it for me.
No one is going to solve your problems for you. There will be people who can help you solve your own problems, but it's not anyone else's job to "get off their lazy behinds" and solve YOUR problem.

I don't agree with him telling you people at school don't want you back. If that's exactly how he said it, then it was not the best thing for him to say. If he worded that as a question, then he may have been asking if that's how you feel about it. But, I wasn't there so I don't know.

Maybe instead of trying to so hard to convince people of your innocence, maybe you should focus more on moving forward. I understand it was a shitty situation, but it's obviously not going to go back to the way they were.

You should also consider calmly explaining to your parents, and your therapist, why you aren't comfortable with this one.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Solivagant Offline
Previously Apple of your eye
I've been here a while

Name: Suv

Points: 25,840, Level: 23 Points: 25,840, Level: 23 Points: 25,840, Level: 23

Re: what do I do if people are actually PROHIBITING me from telling them about my depression? - July 30th 2014, 04:47 PM

Hey there,

The user above has already given you some really great advice!

A lot of times therapists might end up saying things that we find hurtful whilst trying to find out how we feel. There are also the other kinds of therapists who are simply shitty. But, do give your therapist the benefit of doubt. Calmly let them know what you have written here. They might feel that being strict is what might work with you, if you feel otherwise, then you must tell them. When something hurts you, politely let them know your feelings on the matter at that point or sometime later. Therapy requires us to communicate how we feel about the approach to therapy in order to modify it according to our needs.

A lot of times doctors do take your opinions about the dosage of medicine, but since you have mentioned that you have been crying a lot, could it be possible that that is why your doctor has increased the dose? Try to find out their reasons and maybe come to a compromise on this matter.

Finally, give the doctor some time and effort and if things still don't improve, don't be scared to seek out someone new.

Take care.

"Words are, in my not so humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic, capable of both inflicting injury and remedying it."

-Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I've been here a while

Name: Sarah

Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31

Re: what do I do if people are actually PROHIBITING me from telling them about my depression? - July 31st 2014, 05:19 PM

Certain things in our life can cause a lot of distress and if something has happened to us where we're placed in a situation where we're believed to have done something wrong, it can make us feel even worse than we already are. It must be extremely hard to deal with a doctor who makes you feel like your opinions and feelings matter little to them despite them being there to help you but remember, doctors do have your best interests at heart and although you may not like some of the actions they've taken, it may be that they are required to do it due to seeing that it's the best way forward for you regardless to how hard it is. Sometimes in life there is no easy path forward, but hard ones. This is up to you to take a step back and see things not from one perspective but various. Understand that your doctor is trying to help you.

I don't know the exact details of what's happened and why you no one's 'gotten off their lazy behinds and done it for you' but not everything in life can be solved anyone else but ourselves. You might have far too high expectations of others where really, you may need to have higher expectations of yourself in order to achieve a goal. Whatever it was that you did or didn't do, you feel you're innocent. How you feel is the most important thing of all. Value it. Don't value the opinions of other people. If you know the truth, then your innocence is a matter of fact whilst their thoughts and feelings are a matter of opinion. Stop caring what they think, whether it be guilty or innocent, and start caring more about how you feel.

If you genuinely feel you can't get on with your doctor, try writing them a letter and explain to them that you're finding their lack of sensitivity difficult, that you feel like they're not helping you to get better and see if it's possible that you could be assigned to a new one.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Malik

Points: 7,444, Level: 12 Points: 7,444, Level: 12 Points: 7,444, Level: 12

Re: what do I do if people are actually PROHIBITING me from telling them about my depression? - August 13th 2014, 07:34 AM

Anyway, here is a link to what my basic problem is that has not been solved and I am still suffering from, I posted on here much eariler:

http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f12-s...-i-did-not-do/

I am also receiving rudeness and bullying online elsewhere as well. And some people don't allow me to contact them only because of my race or gender or things like that and it hurts when people judge books by covers. My parents are not doing anything to regain my friends, and my membership on sites I was suspended from and it hurts so unbearably and they do not understand. They keep saying things like let it go, but I got in major trouble by being accused of a minor offense that I didn't even do, and it feels like I am grounded for life. I cannot survive without my online fun.
Closed Thread