TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
FireHeart138 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 5,292, Level: 10 Points: 5,292, Level: 10 Points: 5,292, Level: 10

Question Monophobia? Bipolar Depression? Anxiety? - December 1st 2014, 03:06 AM

For years I shrugged off random breakdowns and anxiety and just joked around about having "separation anxiety." Well for the past couple years I've begun to realize I'm not joking. I did some research after a random break down in my car and I'm pretty certain I have mono phobia. Anyone else think or know they have this? Or bipolar depression or just anxiety in general? Really need someone to talk to about this stuff. I've tried telling my boyfriend but I don't think he understands the severity of it.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 56,119, Level: 34 Points: 56,119, Level: 34 Points: 56,119, Level: 34

Re: Monophobia? Bipolar Depression? Anxiety? - December 1st 2014, 09:15 PM

Hello there,

One of the best ways to know if you do have, mono phobia, bipolar depression, or anxiety; is to ask your general practitioner (family doctor) if you can be referred to a psychiatrist, who are qualified to give a diagnoses. You should also talk with your general practitioner about how you are feeling and when it happens, this can help them understand how to help you. They may ask some questions and be honest as you can, if your not honest they wont be able to help you the best way possible.

Sometimes, we can all self-diagnose ourselves because you can research the internet and find something that relates to how we are feeling, however, most of the time what you research comes to more than 10 possible causes. This is why it is best to talk with your general practitioner about everything so they can assist you the best way possible.

Do you think you feel comfortable to make an appointment with your general practitioner?

*If you don't have a general practitioner you can always go to a walk-in clinic to see a doctor or nurse there.

Take care.

Have questions or would like to chat send me a PM
+
Outreach and Communications Officer
Resource Editor
Community Moderator | Forum Moderator

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina
Pronouns: she/they

Points: 29,768, Level: 24 Points: 29,768, Level: 24 Points: 29,768, Level: 24

Re: Monophobia? Bipolar Depression? Anxiety? - December 1st 2014, 11:45 PM

Hi There,

I agree with what Chantal mentioned.
It is very easy to find many disorders and other conditions online and self-diagnose. This is dangerous however because you could diagnose yourself with something you do not have and cause yourself unnecessary worry and stress.
I believe it would be beneficial for you to talk to your doctor about referring you to or giving you a list of psychological professionals that can diagnose and treat psychological disorders such as a psychiatrist, psychologist, mental health counselor Etc.
I am sorry that it appears your boyfriend does not understand. Keep talking to him and give him time. He may not understand because he may have never met someone with anxiety or other mental health conditions. Try to ask him if he will support you in finding help in your area, maybe giving him a way he can help you will help him try to understand better by improving his listening to you and learning from mental health professionals what you experiencing.
Once you are seeing a professional, it could help to bring him into a session and have them explain to him the diagnosis that has been decided, the treatment and how he can help and support you.
Hopefully this is helpful and that things improve for you.
You can PM me if you would ever like someone to talk to.
Take care.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."
Closed Thread