TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Stiena Offline
Average Joe

Name: Christian

Points: 8,871, Level: 13 Points: 8,871, Level: 13 Points: 8,871, Level: 13

Feelings of Guilt & Cutting - May 23rd 2012, 12:54 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I have rarely cut out of sorrow because I know it's not a successful method to end it all... Normally, it's out of anger and to rid myself of feelings of guilt. Guilt is the most useless emotion that God gave us. I feel guilt for wishing ill on those who have tried everything in their power to ensure that I did not survive and thrive.. and they have damn well succeeded in doing so. How does one overcome these feelings of guilt so ingrained into one's personality? I want it gone. These people are not worth my forgiveness and they will not be receiving it. How do I uproot my feelings of guilt for those who have brought me nothing but harm? Or perhaps I should continue my own personal methods through self harm and scar hiding... speaking of, I have very deep scars on my legs... wonder how that'll pan out during swimsuit season...

I am not alone- not beaten down just yet.. I am not afraid of the voices in my head. Down the darkest road, something follows me! I am not alone.. 'Cause misery loves my company!
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Storyteller. Offline
Spite and coffee.

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Charlie
Pronouns: they/them

Points: 106,519, Level: 46 Points: 106,519, Level: 46 Points: 106,519, Level: 46

Re: Feelings of Guilt & Cutting - May 23rd 2012, 11:20 AM

Hey Christian.

I think it's good that you've figured out what's causing you to hurt yourself. It's true that self harm isn't a long term solution, and it won't really alleviate your feelings at all. While it can make some sort of sense to hurt yourself out of guilt, this is obviously causing you some problems too, so I'm glad you decided to come to us for advice. Let's see if I can help a bit.

First, I wouldn't say that guilt is necessarily useless. It can prompt you to do good, for example, or to re-examine things. It can deter you from doing wrong, and help reward you for doing right or making amends. That said, it's not a pleasant emotion at all, so if you can get rid of it, you should.

Everyone has bad thoughts sometimes. Even the nicest of people have probably wished ill on someone else - it doesn't mean you've done them any harm. There's a difference between wishing for these things and actually taking actions towards them; and from what you've said, it doesn't sound like you've actually done anything to hurt these people, even though they've been less than kind to you, so I'm not actually sure you've even done anything wrong here.

And even if you had, it's not worth hurting yourself over. One of the best ways to get revenge is to live your life well - you don't have to forgive these people for whatever they've done, but just try not to let them ruin your life. Understand that the past is the past, and start working towards making your future better. As yourself if this guilt is really doing you any good; chances are it's probably not, so that's your cue to get rid of it.

One thing I've found helpful in overcoming feelings of guilt is to do nice actions. Kind of like restoring your karma. By doing good things, it can help to cancel out the bad you've done (or think you've done) and make you feel better. Also, since you mentioned anger, I think you should take a look at the first section in this thread; expressing your emotions in a safe way can be a great help in beating self harm.

I hope this helped a bit. Take care.

"Love means never having to say
you're a werewolf."
Closed Thread