TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Fighting-to-Win Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 6,344, Level: 11 Points: 6,344, Level: 11 Points: 6,344, Level: 11

Post-Self Harm Problems - December 16th 2013, 04:53 AM

Say I stop cutting soon...nobody has ever seen my cuts or scars ever and I never want them to, but it's gonna have to happen eventually. Well after I'm mentally recovered, how do I go in public with short sleeves ever again? How does the public react to self harm scars? (This includes my parents...they have no idea what's going on in my life haha)
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
DanTheMan :P Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Dan

Points: 7,369, Level: 12 Points: 7,369, Level: 12 Points: 7,369, Level: 12

Re: Post-Self Harm Problems - December 16th 2013, 06:43 AM

Hai
For starters, I'd like to say I haven't told anyone either, so I see how you feel in that respect.
But anyway, lets start with going out with short sleeves. I do it. So what is you have scars, everyone around you knows nothing about you, and you are likely never to see them again. Who cares if for one, fleeting moment they saw your scars. All of the times I've been out, no one has ever said anything about them to me. If you are going out with friends who don't know, I just drape a jacket over my arm

But if you ever did decide to tell your parents, I think its the right way to go. 99.9% of the time, teenagers think parents will freak out and they react in the opposite way. I know someone whos friend told his parents. He was panicking until he got home, where his parents just actes calmly, asked him what was wrong and if he wanted to get help. He said soon after he didn't remember feeling this happy since he told them, as he didn't have to hide it any more.
As for things like jobs, chances are you should wear a shirt to an interview anyway, and if you are employed they won't change anything because of your scars.

Finally, there are certain medical methods of removing scars, you could always look into that, or something like bio-oil to reduce their appearance.
-Dan
2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,473, Level: 59 Points: 172,473, Level: 59 Points: 172,473, Level: 59

Re: Post-Self Harm Problems - December 16th 2013, 10:21 AM

Hi there,

I've heard that cocoa butter, bio oil, and Vitamin E oil are all good ways to start reducing the appearance of scars, even though it may take some time. I know that cocoa butter is also a good moisturizer so if you need an excuse for getting it you can go with something like that.

I've also noticed that as long as a person doesn't draw too much attention to themselves (constantly looking, doing things that make you seem too nervous) not everyone will actually notice. Or, if they DO notice, most of the time they don't comment, or if they do comment it is because they are concerned. If someone does ask after you're recovered, you don't have to tell them why you have scars, or if you do want to say something, let them know you're recovered, but generally most people don't react horribly.

You shouldn't have to hide forever, though, so don't be ashamed. It will only mean that you beat something and made huge effort.

-Dez

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
Closed Thread