TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Fighting-to-Win Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 6,344, Level: 11 Points: 6,344, Level: 11 Points: 6,344, Level: 11

Question Why is cutting bad? - May 30th 2014, 12:28 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I'm in therapy as of recently, so I'm not comfortable asking my therapist this yet, but this is a serious question. I've self harmed for over 6 months now, and I've always had the thought that I had to stop because it's bad. But why is it bad? I'm already getting help, I don't cut too deep, I use sterile "tools" and clean the cuts after, and I hide them so nobody can see them so I'm not scaring others. And cutting helps me. Its distracts me from my thoughts. So why is it bad? I can only see the upside and can't figure out why it's so wrong. Yes, it means that there's something wrong with me, but I'm already getting professional help. Any thoughts?
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,194, Level: 59 Points: 172,194, Level: 59 Points: 172,194, Level: 59

Re: Why is cutting bad? - May 30th 2014, 01:22 AM

It is wonderful that you're at least getting help for the self harm.

Even though the tools are sterile, there is still a chance of infection. Also, what's to say that on a bad day, you don't cut deeper? Sometimes I've noticed that it starts out shallow, but sometimes after a while you need to do more to get the same affect that you did when you first started out, and because of that you either cuts or go deeper. That may mean either you have to move away from your normal hiding places to get more cuts in, or cut deeper. I'm not saying this will happen to you necessarily, but it's something to look out for.

Also, the problems come back as I am sure you know, since you are getting help for it. You aren't really doing anything to solve the problems by self harming,

Then there's just the fact that you're inflicting pain on yourself, and nobody deserves to feel so low where they have to resort to injuring themselves in order to stop feeling that way.

Again, I'm not necessarily saying this will happen to you, but sometimes I look at the cuts and feel guilty.

I do hope that you will be able to be honest with your therapist soon!

-Dez

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Why is cutting bad? - June 4th 2014, 03:24 AM

Hey there,

I think it is great that you are seeking counseling for your self harm. I think that is definitely a step in the right direction.

I think that the reasons why self harm is bad vary from person to person. You have to come to the realization that it is bad and come up with your own reasons as to why. It took me a long time to come up with my own reasons and to really believe those reasons. While you are making sure to cut with sterile tools there is still a chance that you could end up getting an infection. And, getting an infection could be really dangerous. Also, as Dez stated, there is always a chance that you will end up having to go deeper to get the same feeling. See, as time goes by the superficial cuts don't always give you the same feeling and so you start having to cut deeper to get the same feeling. This could be dangerous because you don't know what types of things you might cut in your body.

Another reason self harming is bad is because you are inflicting pain upon yourself and your don't deserve that pain. I know right now you might feel as though you deserve that pain but that is a lie. You deserve to live a happy and healthy life and self harm takes you away from living that life.

I really hope that this helped in some way and if you need anything please feel free to message me.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
gdheiwmow Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Points: 6,828, Level: 12 Points: 6,828, Level: 12 Points: 6,828, Level: 12

Re: Why is cutting bad? - June 5th 2014, 01:13 AM

What defines something as good or bad? It's a subjective thing. One person may view it as something to be avoided, while another person truly enjoys it. Remember that there is no right or wrong viewpoint here. I am in the same boat as you. I believe that if someone is knowledgeable in medicine and anatomy, they should do whatever they want with their bodies when it comes to harm. I only consider it "bad" when they aren't clean about it, or they cut in dangerous areas or make careless mistakes. That leads to accidents that nobody wants to have to deal with.
Closed Thread