TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
idonthaveaclue Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 4,989, Level: 10 Points: 4,989, Level: 10 Points: 4,989, Level: 10

No self help things work for me?! - July 21st 2016, 03:01 PM

So i have really tried to put the effort into some apps/books for anxiety. After speaking with my doctor. Anyway after trying so many im feeling a bit fed up I' putting in so much effort, it either makes my anxiety worse or doesnt do anything for me. Yesterday I tried meditation, brrathing etc, i started panicking because i felt i was being constricted of air when doing this exercise because i was focusing on my breathing that i forgot how to breathe. Anyway anyoneelse have this problem?
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Lionheart Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Oliver

Points: 10,960, Level: 15 Points: 10,960, Level: 15 Points: 10,960, Level: 15

Re: No self help things work for me?! - July 21st 2016, 07:55 PM

I didn't try self help for anxiety but for something else. It was also breathing exercises and stuff like that and for a really long time it didn't help at all. Some of it actually made things worse. So yes, I had that problem too.

I don't know why but at one point some of those things suddenly started working for me. So even if they don't help now, there's hope I'm sure one day some of them will start working for you to

It's ok to give in to an urge or make a mistake. You are only human and we all have our flaws. We all have our weak moments and we all make mistakes. Thats what makes us human.
Thats what makes us unique and beautiful

Courage isn't always a loud roar. Sometimes it is a quiet whisper at the end of a day saying: Tomorrow I will try it again!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 57,622, Level: 34 Points: 57,622, Level: 34 Points: 57,622, Level: 34

Re: No self help things work for me?! - July 24th 2016, 01:15 PM

I've had similar issues before. I sometimes wonder if because it's self-help, we put a lot of pressure and expectations on ourselves to get it right, and hope that by doing self-help things we can 'fix' ourselves. But then the pressure makes us feel more anxious, and that's when we find the self-help doesn't work so well. Having a counsellor or therapist help you with breathing exercises, may help more as they can teach you the correct techniques, and reassure you that things are working out as they should be. It removes some of the pressure and anxiety from you.

Also, there are loads of different self-help things out there, and it usually is a matter of trying different things and seeing what works for you and what doesn't.

Mentoring and Support Team Leader | Click here to volunteer
Closed Thread