TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,204, Level: 59 Points: 172,204, Level: 59 Points: 172,204, Level: 59

What to talk about in therapy - June 8th 2021, 11:37 PM

What do you all talk about in therapy? It’s like as soon as I go to a session I forgot everything from my past and current life and every feeling I’ve ever felt.

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount71

Edit avatar

Re: What to talk about in therapy - June 9th 2021, 01:25 AM

Ideally, I'd like to talk about past concerns, issues, traumas, that may be the cause of or at least have an impact my maladaptive coping mechanisms and negative self-talk. However, usually I just end up talking about what's bothered me since our last session. I mean it helps, but I wish I could get to the point where I am discussing the parts of me that are holding me back, and that's generally not a result of day-to-day interactions.

I would suggest keeping a list to bring to your appointments for things you want to talk about. You might find that helpful. It doesn't have to be a detailed explanation; bullet points would probably suffice. I just suggest trying that out.
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Moyshi Offline
I've been here a while

Points: 17,431, Level: 19 Points: 17,431, Level: 19 Points: 17,431, Level: 19

Re: What to talk about in therapy - June 9th 2021, 04:18 AM

Hey Dez,

I agree with the above poster and the idea of creating a list to bring in. The list could consist of bigger life events/themes/topics that you're wanting to talk about, or smaller things such as everyday triggers or what has been difficult for you in between a sessions. I think it's pretty common for people to get stuck with what to say once the appointment rolls around, so making notes may be a helpful to get the conversation going!

I would also recommend reflecting on what you'd like to get out of therapy and writing those down. When you first met with your therapist you were probably asked this, and it can be helpful to think back and look at what your overall goals are. If you're still stuck with what to talk about, you can always bring up what you were wanting to achieve and the therapist should be able to go from there.

Just remember that the therapist is there for you, you're in control of the session and what you chose to share, and the appointment is your time to spend focusing on yourself. Appointments sometimes go by in the blink of an eye so a list can help get the conversation going so you can get the most out of the short time you have.

Hope this helps a bit!

A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Stacey Offline
BrokenInsanity circa 2004
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Stacey
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 18,927, Level: 19 Points: 18,927, Level: 19 Points: 18,927, Level: 19

Re: What to talk about in therapy - June 9th 2021, 04:33 PM

Like Eli mentioned, I usually keep a list of things that have come up for me between sessions - important events, difficult feelings, etc - anything that may be helpful to discuss with my therapist.

We often begin by going over a brief overview of my week, month, whatever time period it's been between sessions and then she will ask me if I have anything specific I'd like to focus on, or we will continue from a previous session. If I'm having trouble focusing on something, my overview of what has happened since we last spoke can often prompt her to suggest something we may want to focus on or ask about my feelings towards something that occurred, or she will occasionally ask if I felt we have covered everything I hoped to cover in a previous session or about a previous issue.

Keeping a list is the biggest help, but if you're at a loss for something to discuss you can always reschedule your appointment for a week later, or tell your therapist that you are struggling to find something you wish to focus on and they may be able to suggest something based on what they know, or focus on more general coping, skills, etc.

Stacey
Original join date: 27th September, 2004.
HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Arabesque- golfing girl. Offline
Be Creative. Always Dance❤️

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Emmie🦋

Points: 107,391, Level: 46 Points: 107,391, Level: 46 Points: 107,391, Level: 46

Re: What to talk about in therapy - June 10th 2021, 06:25 PM

Hi Dez,

I hope you are doing okay with talking to you're therapist now and you are able to come up with different ideas to talk about. It can be hard to think of something to talk about with other people. I wish you the best with this and hope that you are doing okay. Sending you hugs to help you.

•Forums Officer
•HelpLINK Moderator
•Community Moderator•
Article Writer
•Resource Editor
•Newsletter Editor
• Social Media Guru.

"Dance is your pulse, your heartbeat,
It’s the rhythm
of your life.

It’s the expression
in time and movement,

in happiness, joy, sadness and envy.
-Jacques d’Ambroise''
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount63

Edit avatar

Re: What to talk about in therapy - June 11th 2021, 02:18 AM

I talk about how my weeks have gone since I've seen my therapist. If i have had any problems and fits and then we talk about that. We also talk about how I hide my emotions or push them down. My therapist will push and bring things up herself. But I've known her for like 3 years and been with her over a year.
Last session we talked about my dissociation and if I have D.I.D.

Something I do because I do forget things especially since I dissociate a lot after the incident I will write down a short summary of what I want to talk about. So like little reminders and it helps me.

I hope this helps.
You can always PM/VM me if you need to

Your Friend<3
Ariel
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Rika Offline
Chat Buddy

Junior TeenHelper

Pronouns: she/they

Points: 13,296, Level: 16 Points: 13,296, Level: 16 Points: 13,296, Level: 16

Re: What to talk about in therapy - June 20th 2022, 01:13 AM

If I was in therapy I'd wanna discuss what is bothering me and ask for advice on what to do etc.

I do agree writing down a list of things to discuss or talk about is a good idea. It's what I'd do if I was seeing a therapist.
Closed Thread