TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
artlover13 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Maddie

Points: 7,479, Level: 12 Points: 7,479, Level: 12 Points: 7,479, Level: 12

is this an eating disorder? :/ - May 30th 2012, 09:25 AM

I know that I don't exactly have a great relationship with food, but can you have an eating disorder if you are at a completely healthy weight, and not really losing any weight? I skip meals a lot and feel really guilty when I do eat and really want to lose weight, could this be considered an eating disorder? Do you think I should go talk to someone? It's been going on for ages, more than a year, but there haven't really been any changes in my weight...

Last edited by Coffee.; May 30th 2012 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Removed unnecessary triggering prefix. :]
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Mitch Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Mitchell

Points: 11,159, Level: 15 Points: 11,159, Level: 15 Points: 11,159, Level: 15

Re: is this an eating disorder? :/ - May 30th 2012, 09:43 AM

Yes, and it could get more serious if it develops further. Why exactly are you feeling this way? Is there a particular reason, like advertising or thin models in magazines etc?
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
artlover13 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: is this an eating disorder? :/ - May 30th 2012, 09:52 AM

I'm not exactly sure why - I told my boyfriend about this a while ago and he's been really supportive and has been helping me figure out why I feel like this. He also really wants me to go talk to a professional but I'm a bit nervous because compared to some the problems some people have it doesn't seem that bad... I think it's because when I was younger I was always kind of pudgy and everyone said it was in a cute way but I really hated it, and people (especially my parents) used to tease me about losing weight and stuff.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Mitch Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Mitchell

Points: 11,159, Level: 15 Points: 11,159, Level: 15 Points: 11,159, Level: 15

Re: is this an eating disorder? :/ - May 30th 2012, 10:10 AM

Well then it seems there may be some underlying issues and it would probably be a good idea to see a proffessional, as the best cure is prevention. It's also good to hear that your boyfriend is supportive - that is very important. Your problem is not small, just different - while your alright now, it would be horrible if you developed Anorexia or anything as a result of some depression because then it can be a very hard path to leave.
Please have a read:

http://www.helpguide.org/mental/anor..._treatment.htm

There is obviously a cause to your feelings and you need to find out what it is and ways you can deal with it so it is definitely important to speak about it - they are not their to judge you but to help you.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
artlover13 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: is this an eating disorder? :/ - May 30th 2012, 10:35 AM

Yeah, I don't want it to get worse, I'm just nervous about going to see someone because I get really anxious if I talk about weight related stuff and I don't want anyone to force me to eat... But I guess going to see someone isn't going to hurt, and hopefully it'll make it better... :/ Thanks for helping
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Kindred Offline
You can handle anything
I've been here a while

Name: Eyeliner Failure

Points: 31,637, Level: 25 Points: 31,637, Level: 25 Points: 31,637, Level: 25

Re: is this an eating disorder? :/ - May 30th 2012, 12:02 PM

Hi there,

None of us here are medical professionals, and therefore we can't diagnose you with anything. If you're having problems with food, then I'd advise you to make an appointment to see your doctor. What I would say is it that you should try to address these issues as soon as possible, as eating problems have a horrible habit of getting worse.

Well done for reaching out to us though. That's a very positive step taken in the right direction, as is talking to your boyfriend about this. You should be very proud of yourself, I know I am!

To answer your question- yes you can have an eating disorder and be a "normal" weight. Just remember that normal is different for everyone; what's a healthy weight for someone else may not be healthy for your body. Just because this hasn't spiraled completely out of your control yet doesn't mean that your problem is any smaller, or any less serious.

Talking to someone professional is the best thing you can do. It isn't fair for you to have to deal with this, and you deserve help. Check out this link for advice on how to talk to and go to for help.

You're doing brilliantly. Keep your head up, keep fighting. Scales can't measure your beauty. Breathe. You'll get through this.

Take as long as you need.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Kumagoro Offline
Formerly ChaosControl
I've been here a while

Points: 18,923, Level: 19 Points: 18,923, Level: 19 Points: 18,923, Level: 19

Re: is this an eating disorder? :/ - May 30th 2012, 01:17 PM

Hey there,

Weight figures are not the only way to diagnose an eating disorder, and it's true that you don't have to be underweight, or can be of an average weight to have an ED, or to begin to develop one. You're taking the right steps by reaching out and acknowledging that you have a problem, and believe me, no-one is going to think it's too small a problem. If anything, you're looking out for yourself by getting help now, before it gets worse. Looking after yourself is always a good thing.

As it's been said, we can't diagnose you. Only a doctor can do that. What we can say is that you should probably talk to someone you trust - don't keep it bottled up. Eating disorders are far more psychological than they are physical. You deserve to be happy with yourself and your body, so getting help now means taking action to achieve just that - happiness and confidence.

I hope it turns out okay for you. Take care

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Traci
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44

Re: is this an eating disorder? :/ - May 30th 2012, 09:02 PM

Hey Maddie,

As everybody has said, we cannot diagnose you if you have an eating disorder. However, I would say the actions you are doing can very well be one, or lead to one. Basically, I did throughout middle school before I started purging in high school. It's an awful road to go down, especially because you feel like at a "normal weight" you can't have an eating disorder since "you're too fat." Eating disorders know no sizes, and have no boundaries. Anybody can have an eating disorder, and even the smaller steps lead to one.

Besides talking to a professional, what you have already done by talking to your boyfriend and TeenHelp is an amazing first step. Reaching out for help, and letting yourself be vulnerable is very strong of you. I would recommend opening up next to an adult you trust, such as parent, or maybe a guidance counselor. That's another good way to get the professional help you need, because they can recommend the local services that might be of use to you.

I hope that helped a bit, we're here for you Maddie!

something burning?
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
artlover13 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: is this an eating disorder? :/ - May 31st 2012, 07:40 AM

Thank you so much for all your advice and support! I'm going to tell my counsellor about it the next time I see her, and my boyfriend said he would come with me, because I get kind of nervous talking to people... I've been putting it off for a while because I was scared, but it's probably better to try to sort it out and stop it before it gets any worse. I have a friend with anorexia and I've seen what it's done to her, both mentally and physically, and it scares me that how I've been eating could possibly lead to something like that.

Thanks again for all your support
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Traci
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44

Re: is this an eating disorder? :/ - May 31st 2012, 10:01 AM

Hey again,

I'm so happy with your response! I think it'd be great for you and your friend to start recovery together, and inspire each other. Maybe find or start a support group in your area! But overall, I'm glad you're going to talk to your counselor, your friend, and overall start a better life for yourself without the constant fear of calories and lust for exercise and harm.

I'm here if you need, please keep me and the rest of us here updated on your progress in our Recovery and Achievements thread! We're here for you!

something burning?
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
artlover13 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: is this an eating disorder? :/ - May 31st 2012, 08:44 PM

Thanks, Traci. It's a really good idea for me and my friend to try and get through stuff together, I think it'll be good for both of us to have someone completely non-judgemental to talk to. And of course there's always TH

I'm still scared about telling the counsellor but I know it's the best thing to do and hopefully with the support of my boyfriend and you guys it'll get better soon! I don't think it'll be easy but I will definitely try and keep on trying.
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Kindred Offline
You can handle anything
I've been here a while

Name: Eyeliner Failure

Points: 31,637, Level: 25 Points: 31,637, Level: 25 Points: 31,637, Level: 25

Re: is this an eating disorder? :/ - June 1st 2012, 04:43 PM

That's a brilliant attitude to have towards recovery! I'm proud of you, and I know you can get through this. It won't be easy, but you can do this. Always remember we're here for you- whenever.

Take care!

Take as long as you need.
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
survivor16 Offline
Like a skyscraper. <3
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Shelby

Points: 11,340, Level: 15 Points: 11,340, Level: 15 Points: 11,340, Level: 15

Re: is this an eating disorder? :/ - June 1st 2012, 09:42 PM

That is a GREAT attitude to have. I wish you the best of luck
Trust me, I know it's hard talking to someone about personal things, but it's so worth it in the long run. I hope that you are able to be open and honest.

Good luck,
Shelby

(#14 (permalink)) Old
escape♥ Offline
Happiness is waiting for you<3
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Paula

Points: 11,886, Level: 15 Points: 11,886, Level: 15 Points: 11,886, Level: 15

Re: is this an eating disorder? :/ - June 5th 2012, 12:19 AM

Even though your not loosing weight, you could very possibly have an eating disorder. An eating disorder is mainly a psychological thing, and only partly a physically thing. Please talk to a doctor about it, it can never be a bad thing to play it safe. Hope i helped!
Hugs
~paula

If you're looking for a sign not to kill yourself tonight, this is it.
"May the odds be ever in your favour"
"A strong person is one who can smile this morning like they weren't crying last night."
Your never alone, I'm always here for you. Shoot me a VM or PM.
Closed Thread