TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
smiles07x Offline
Not a n00b

Points: 8,057, Level: 13 Points: 8,057, Level: 13 Points: 8,057, Level: 13

Question anorexia vs bulimia? - September 8th 2011, 10:35 PM

how come you are only diagnosed with an ED after three months..? meanwhile you do what is considered bulimic or anorexic? If you think you are anorexic because you don't eat as much and think you're fat when you are already considered underweight to begin with, but purge..would that make you fall under a bulimic type category instead..because you do purge a littleeee..or if you are anorexic do you also purge?
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Points: 33,958, Level: 26 Points: 33,958, Level: 26 Points: 33,958, Level: 26

Re: anorexia vs bulimia? - September 8th 2011, 10:47 PM

I found the most current diagnostic criteria for anorexia, bulimia, and EDNOS. See if this helps you understand better.

http://casat.unr.edu/docs/eatingdisorders_criteria.pdf

I should specify that this link was NOT posted as a means of self-diagnosis. You are no more qualified to diagnose yourself than we are to diagnose you. This was to point out the differences to give you a better understanding.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

Last edited by Kate*; September 9th 2011 at 02:05 AM.
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Points: 77,763, Level: 39 Points: 77,763, Level: 39 Points: 77,763, Level: 39

Re: anorexia vs bulimia? - September 9th 2011, 12:36 AM

Well to be anorexic you have to be under 15% body fat. The other reason why you have to wait 3 months is because an eating disorder is a serious thing, it's not just based off your actions, but it's a state of mind too.
For example, if a girl eats half a cake then purges it the next day, she could go back to normal eating habits after that. She doesn't have an eating disorder, she just made an unhealthy choice for a couple days. Now if every day she counts calories and purges for 3 months, then her ways of thinking about food and eating is abnormal and unhealthy so it would be classified as an eating disorder.
However, you could have EDNOS which stands for Eating Disorder Not Otherwise Specified. This means you may have some habits of an eating disorder, but you do not fit all of the criteria.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
smiles07x Offline
Not a n00b

Re: anorexia vs bulimia? - September 9th 2011, 12:46 AM

that make sense. thanks. it's not that bad atm..i just have been like this for a almost two months..
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Angel Offline
The final horcrux
I've been here a while

Points: 23,828, Level: 22 Points: 23,828, Level: 22 Points: 23,828, Level: 22

Re: anorexia vs bulimia? - September 9th 2011, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiles07x View Post
how come you are only diagnosed with an ED after three months..? meanwhile you do what is considered bulimic or anorexic? If you think you are anorexic because you don't eat as much and think you're fat when you are already considered underweight to begin with, but purge..would that make you fall under a bulimic type category instead..because you do purge a littleeee..or if you are anorexic do you also purge?
I believe the point of the three month rule is to establish the fact that the patient has been continuously showing disordered behaviour and eating patterns and it isn't a temporary thing. If everyone were to be diagnosed without discrimiation, skipping a few meals as a part of some fad diet may seem as suspicious as an anorexic patient who regularly restricts.

There are some of those who restrict heavily and purge. The most important thing to remember here is that an eating disorder is an eating disorder. If you suspect that you are suffering from one, you need to go to a doctor who will be able to diagnose you and provide you with appropriate treatment and support.

"Years ago, I knew a boy who made all the wrong choices."

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Traci
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44

Re: anorexia vs bulimia? - September 9th 2011, 01:55 AM

Hey there,

All eating disorders are very different, and vary quite a big in diagnosis. The reason most wait for three months is to show the severity of the situation. As Nicole pointed out, for limited times, people may show symptoms of an eating disorder, however, it goes away without the need for help, and in that case, it was not an eating disorder, but nearly a bad habit somebody got into for a short amount of time.

And yes, purging can be a habit anorexics do as well. Bulimia is very commonly mistaken as the "purging disorder", however, it is the combination of binging and purging that categorizes bulimia, by consuming a large amount of food, and getting rid of it by purging, laxatives, fasting, exercise, or other means of getting rid of the food consumed. Bulimia doesn't just count for purging, and it is not the only eating disorder that has purging.

If you suspect you have an eating disorder, do not self diagnose using Google. (It's an easy mistake, we all do it!) Instead, schedule a doctor appointment, or talk to an adult you trust to help get you to other resources you may need. Good luck! Message me if you ever need!

something burning?
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: anorexia vs bulimia? - September 10th 2011, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody View Post
Well to be anorexic you have to be under 15% body fat. The other reason why you have to wait 3 months is because an eating disorder is a serious thing, it's not just based off your actions, but it's a state of mind too.
For example, if a girl eats half a cake then purges it the next day, she could go back to normal eating habits after that. She doesn't have an eating disorder, she just made an unhealthy choice for a couple days. Now if every day she counts calories and purges for 3 months, then her ways of thinking about food and eating is abnormal and unhealthy so it would be classified as an eating disorder.
However, you could have EDNOS which stands for Eating Disorder Not Otherwise Specified. This means you may have some habits of an eating disorder, but you do not fit all of the criteria.

Firstly, I want to say that I am not trying to attack you by posting this I just wanted to point out some things that have been, in my opinion misconstrued and could potentially lead to someone being misinformed.

There have definitely been things that have said that in order for someone to be classified as an Anorexic they have to be underweight a certain amount but that is not the only factor in diagnosing someone with an eating disorder. The fact is that eating disorders do not discriminate and there can be someone out there who is struggling with restricting (i.e. Starving themselves) and has not yet reached the point of being classified as underweight. This does not mean they are not anorexic. When I was in my treatment center there was a girl there who suffered from anorexia and she did eventually get to the point where she was very severely underweight however she wasn't always that severely underweight in fact some 'doctors' might have considered her to be overweight.

There are numerous factors that contribute to diagnosing someone with an eating disorder a persons weight is just one of them. It is important to note that eating disorders do not take on two forms meaning a person is either bulimic or anorexic there are all types of in betweens. Some treatment centers/professionals would classify this as an EDNOS but others will simply say that the person restricts and purges. I believe that EDNOS is the diagnoses that Psychologists and Psychiatrist use when their patients don't fit properly into the DSM IV but most doctors will be more specific in regards to what their patients have.

Now, I have never really heard of a three month rule regarding diagnosing someone with an eating disorder but I would suspect that the reason a doctor would be doing this would be because they do not want to prematurely diagnose their patient. I suppose I might be a tad bit confused on that part, have you gone into your doctor and told them about your concerns and they told you to wait it out? If so I would suggest that you try calling them and expressing your concerns. However if you have not talked to a doctor about any of this and have just heard "through the grapevine" so to speak that you have to wait three months I would suggest that you talk to a doctor.

The thing that you need to consider is that yes, there is such thing as disordered eating and there is a chance that this disordered eating can go away before it becomes a full blown eating disorder and that would be absolutely amazing. However, disordered eating has a potential to lead to a full blown eating disorder and I would hate to see that happen to you (if you are suffering from disordered eating and not a eating disorder). The thing is if you can work out the reasons behind your disordered eating it would be a really good thing to do. The best way to do this is to seek counseling and let them know what is going on. Let them know what you are struggling and why you are struggling with it and go from there. You shouldn't have to have a diagnoses to get some type of counseling.

I really hope this helped in some way and if you need anything please feel free to pm me.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
smiles07x Offline
Not a n00b

Re: anorexia vs bulimia? - September 10th 2011, 01:52 PM

it did help..thank you. I haven't told anyone except for my friend who has similar problems. I just have a big fear of being fat and this seems like the quickest and fastest way to lose weight, i know it's not good but now i just feel awkward eating around people and that like they are "watching" me eat. And like i do eat...yesterday i just count calories and weigh myself after. I drink a lot of water and on occasions if i feel i gained weight and feel like i ate to much i try to purge and sometimes do. But that's why i was wondering about the three months too..because it's only been two..i think i can't honestly remember.
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
TeenHelp Veteran

Re: anorexia vs bulimia? - September 10th 2011, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~CourageousSurvivor~ View Post

Firstly, I want to say that I am not trying to attack you by posting this I just wanted to point out some things that have been, in my opinion misconstrued and could potentially lead to someone being misinformed.

There have definitely been things that have said that in order for someone to be classified as an Anorexic they have to be underweight a certain amount but that is not the only factor in diagnosing someone with an eating disorder. The fact is that eating disorders do not discriminate and there can be someone out there who is struggling with restricting (i.e. Starving themselves) and has not yet reached the point of being classified as underweight. This does not mean they are not anorexic. When I was in my treatment center there was a girl there who suffered from anorexia and she did eventually get to the point where she was very severely underweight however she wasn't always that severely underweight in fact some 'doctors' might have considered her to be overweight.

There are numerous factors that contribute to diagnosing someone with an eating disorder a persons weight is just one of them. It is important to note that eating disorders do not take on two forms meaning a person is either bulimic or anorexic there are all types of in betweens. Some treatment centers/professionals would classify this as an EDNOS but others will simply say that the person restricts and purges. I believe that EDNOS is the diagnoses that Psychologists and Psychiatrist use when their patients don't fit properly into the DSM IV but most doctors will be more specific in regards to what their patients have.

Now, I have never really heard of a three month rule regarding diagnosing someone with an eating disorder but I would suspect that the reason a doctor would be doing this would be because they do not want to prematurely diagnose their patient. I suppose I might be a tad bit confused on that part, have you gone into your doctor and told them about your concerns and they told you to wait it out? If so I would suggest that you try calling them and expressing your concerns. However if you have not talked to a doctor about any of this and have just heard "through the grapevine" so to speak that you have to wait three months I would suggest that you talk to a doctor.

The thing that you need to consider is that yes, there is such thing as disordered eating and there is a chance that this disordered eating can go away before it becomes a full blown eating disorder and that would be absolutely amazing. However, disordered eating has a potential to lead to a full blown eating disorder and I would hate to see that happen to you (if you are suffering from disordered eating and not a eating disorder). The thing is if you can work out the reasons behind your disordered eating it would be a really good thing to do. The best way to do this is to seek counseling and let them know what is going on. Let them know what you are struggling and why you are struggling with it and go from there. You shouldn't have to have a diagnoses to get some type of counseling.

I really hope this helped in some way and if you need anything please feel free to pm me.
Being underweight is a pretty big part of being diagnosed as it leads to other problems that can be causes, it is also a serious thing to be diagnosed with.
Quote:
  • Refusal to maintain body weight at or above a minimally normal weight for age and height: Weight loss leading to maintenance of body weight <85% of that expected or failure to make expected weight gain during period of growth, leading to body weight less than 85% of that expected.
  • Intense fear of gaining weight or becoming fat, even though under weight.
  • Disturbance in the way one's body weight or shape are experienced, undue influence of body weight or shape on self evaluation, or denial of the seriousness of the current low body weight.
  • Amenorrhea (at least three consecutive cycles) in postmenarchal girls and women. Amenorrhea is defined as periods occurring only following hormone (e.g., estrogen) administration.
So I believe this is why doctors use EDNOS and they have the 3 month rule. Now here is criteria for EDNOS:
Quote:
Eating disorder not otherwise specified includes disorders of eating that do not meet the criteria for any specific eating disorder. For female patients, all of the criteria for anorexia nervosa are met except that the patient has regular menses. All of the criteria for anorexia nervosa are met except that, despite significant weight loss, the patient's current weight is in the normal range. All of the criteria for bulimia nervosa are met except that the binge eating and inappropriate compensatory mechanisms occur less than twice a week or for less than 3 months. The patient has normal body weight and regularly uses inappropriate compensatory behavior after eating small amounts of food (e.g., self-induced vomiting after consuming two cookies). Repeatedly chewing and spitting out, but not swallowing, large amounts of food. Binge-eating disorder is recurrent episodes of binge eating in the absence if regular inappropriate compensatory behavior characteristic of bulimia nervosa.
Here is my source: http://www.clevelandclinicmeded.com/...ing-disorders/

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Dr.Bobby Offline
Psychologist
Senior TeenHelper

Points: 11,362, Level: 15 Points: 11,362, Level: 15 Points: 11,362, Level: 15

Re: anorexia vs bulimia? - September 10th 2011, 05:01 PM

Everyone here is giving you accurate advice.

But, the thing that needs to be said is that maladaptive (or 'Disturbed') behavior is maladaptive or disturbed regardless of the time frame. It sounds like you have some real issues with your weight and you've allowed yourself to address them by vomiting. If you do it once or for three months, it's not a good thing to do, nor is it an effective way of addressing the other, underlying issues you have about yourself.

So, don't look for ways of giving yourself permission to do some things that are clearly not OK because of some vague time frame. Bad is bad, regardless of how long it's going on for. Get some help and figure out what's going on for you and the proper ways of dealing with it.

PM me with the link of the post you'd like me to respond to.
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
smiles07x Offline
Not a n00b

September 11th 2011, 03:21 AM

i know but it's hardddd. gahh. i feel like I'm like both..because i am underweight already and am scared to be fat like thats like a worst fear..after sharks gahh. i try not to eat that much and when i do i just feel bad about myself and if then i go on the scale and gained weight i get frustrated..resulting in SH, purging, or excersize..or just not eating until the next day. i usually only do this if it is above a certain weight that i purge..but that weight is underweight but for me it feels overweight. Once i reach my goal weight though too i always feel there is room for improvement. I'm trying to eat more and control myself..it is hard though because i see myself differently then others do. Thankyou for the advice and caring.

how do you know if your body weight is less than <85% or less then 15% body fat?

Last edited by Just Peachy.; September 12th 2011 at 01:18 AM. Reason: merging multiple posts.
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
TeenHelp Veteran

Re: anorexia vs bulimia? - September 11th 2011, 04:32 AM

To find that out, you need to find out your BMI.
Here is a good standard BMI calculator: http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/

(#13 (permalink)) Old
smiles07x Offline
Not a n00b

Re: anorexia vs bulimia? - September 11th 2011, 04:55 AM

okayy..i did that...but what does that mean..in general? like what now??

Last edited by smiles07x; September 11th 2011 at 05:06 AM.
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Angel Offline
The final horcrux
I've been here a while

Re: anorexia vs bulimia? - September 11th 2011, 04:58 AM

Quote:
how do you know if your body weight is less than <85% or less then 15% body fat?
Your ideal weight would depend on your gender, age, and height, although I believe your build should be taken into account as well. Your doctor is the person to ask because he knows your health best. There are some calculators on the internet to help you figure out if you're in a healthy range or not, but I don't know how accurate they are and you should definitely not use them to self-diagnose. They are there to give people an idea of whether or not they're at a healthy point.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
smiles07x Offline
Not a n00b

Re: anorexia vs bulimia? - September 11th 2011, 07:47 PM

yeahhh i looked at them... it confused me though because i wasn't sure what would be considered unhealthy
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
Angel Offline
The final horcrux
I've been here a while

Re: anorexia vs bulimia? - September 11th 2011, 08:25 PM

Quote:
yeahhh i looked at them... it confused me though because i wasn't sure what would be considered unhealthy
It specifically says what is considered to be a healthy BMI range in adult men and women. What exactly is confusing you?

(#17 (permalink)) Old
smiles07x Offline
Not a n00b

Re: anorexia vs bulimia? - September 11th 2011, 09:05 PM

Lol i dont know just like the percents of being anorexic and just being at unhealthy weight. I don't really know how to word it..i know where i stand with the BMI so i will just leave it at that. thank you though.
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Traci
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44

Re: anorexia vs bulimia? - September 11th 2011, 09:24 PM

Hey,

I'm just going to put this out there: Don't get hung up on the BMI. BMI is a fairly inaccurate representation of weight. It doesn't take into account fat or muscle. Muscle weighs a lot more than fat, so if you have a high muscular build, it can easily tell you that you are overweight or a regular weight when really, you do not have enough fat on your body. For example, my gym teacher was told he was overweight because of his BMI, but really, it was because he was a football player and has a very high muscle content. BMI is inaccurate, and should not be used as a way to self diagnose.

I would recommend you go to a professional for them to measure your weight, BMI, and fat percentage using much more accurate machinery. These calculators online do not take into account your personal situation, which a doctor can. The only person who can accurately diagnose you is a doctor, we on TeenHelp are not professionals, and neither are health websites, even if they may claim to be.

Good luck! Feel free to message me if you ever need.

something burning?
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
smiles07x Offline
Not a n00b

Re: anorexia vs bulimia? - September 11th 2011, 09:45 PM

yeahh i realized that so thats why i just kinda was like don't worry about itt..i think thats why i was confused..like because of the muscle and stuff. i was trying to self diagnose or anything..i was just curious to see where i would fall since i haven't been to the doctor recently and lost weight.

Thank you everyone for the advice.
  (#20 (permalink)) Old
Just Peachy. Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Points: 63,646, Level: 36 Points: 63,646, Level: 36 Points: 63,646, Level: 36

Re: anorexia vs bulimia? - September 20th 2011, 02:15 AM

Due to there being other active threads by this user, I'm going to close this thread as well.

OP- if you have any other questions, feel free to create another thread.

Closed Thread