TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Points: 88,284, Level: 42 Points: 88,284, Level: 42 Points: 88,284, Level: 42

Grey Hairs. - April 12th 2020, 05:10 AM

So for the past couple of years or so, I've noticed that I'm starting to get more and more grey hairs. Some of the time, the grey will start half way down my hair and because my hair is dark, it's even more noticeable. Does anyone have the same issue? I'm only 27 and I've got grey hairs.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,204, Level: 59 Points: 172,204, Level: 59 Points: 172,204, Level: 59

Re: Grey Hairs. - April 12th 2020, 05:46 AM

My friend has silver/grey hairs but just in certain spots! It’s kind of cool actually. I don’t know what causes it though.

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Resilient Offline
HelpLINK Officer

Senior TeenHelper

Name: Court
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 27,339, Level: 23 Points: 27,339, Level: 23 Points: 27,339, Level: 23

Re: Grey Hairs. - April 12th 2020, 08:10 AM

I'm 28 and I have a few strands of grey hair, my sister who is 20, has a whole section of grey hair because she had some trauma when she was a child that resulted in some of her her hair, well, being forcibly removed from her scalp. She always jokes about it but because her hair is so long it's easy to hide.

I think it mostly hinges on genetics.

Resilient
1. (of a person or animal) able to withstand or recover quickly from difficult conditions.
2. (of a substance or object) able to recoil or spring back into shape after bending, stretching, or being compressed.

We all possess resilience, we just need to realize it.

Lead Moderator | HelpLINK Officer

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Grey Hairs. - April 13th 2020, 04:09 AM

I'm glad I'm not the only one that has grey hair pretty young.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 57,622, Level: 34 Points: 57,622, Level: 34 Points: 57,622, Level: 34

Re: Grey Hairs. - April 16th 2020, 06:26 PM

I found my first grey hair last year, when I was 26. It's right at the front. I got rid of that one but then it came back in the same place. I've just accepted it

It's probably genetics. My dad went mostly grey youngish too apparently. But I've also heard trauma and stress as a reason too.

Mentoring and Support Team Leader | Click here to volunteer
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Grey Hairs. - April 19th 2020, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celyn View Post
I found my first grey hair last year, when I was 26. It's right at the front. I got rid of that one but then it came back in the same place. I've just accepted it

It's probably genetics. My dad went mostly grey youngish too apparently. But I've also heard trauma and stress as a reason too.
I pulled my first one out as well but it came back, plus more. I've accepted it too.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Allyson Wood Offline
Average Joe

Points: 5,350, Level: 10 Points: 5,350, Level: 10 Points: 5,350, Level: 10

Re: Grey Hairs. - April 20th 2020, 04:54 AM

Before, what I know is that having grey hair is a sign of aging but nowadays people having it becomes younger and younger so meaning it is not by age. "Grey hair is a combination of normally pigmented hairs interspersed with white ones. Hair turns white when the pigmentation cells responsible for color (melanin) stop being produced."
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Grey Hairs. - May 3rd 2020, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allyson Wood View Post
Before, what I know is that having grey hair is a sign of aging but nowadays people having it becomes younger and younger so meaning it is not by age. "Grey hair is a combination of normally pigmented hairs interspersed with white ones. Hair turns white when the pigmentation cells responsible for color (melanin) stop being produced."
I thought this was the case as well but I wasn't too sure.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I've been here a while

Name: Sarah

Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31

Re: Grey Hairs. - May 3rd 2020, 12:24 PM

I've had grey hairs since I was 16. I'm nearly 29 and a redhead, so they're quite visible, especially at the sides and a little near the fringe area. After university they became much, much worse.

According to other people though, they apparently don't see it and that I'm just being overly conscious about how I look.
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Mallika Offline
HelpLINK Mentor

Regular TeenHelper

Name: Mallika

Points: 11,409, Level: 15 Points: 11,409, Level: 15 Points: 11,409, Level: 15

Re: Grey Hairs. - May 4th 2020, 08:37 AM

Hello!!

Looks like this is something many people experience! From personal experience I think it has got to do with genetics as well. Also, I did a little Google search and researchers have definitely found evidence that there is a genetic component to it.

Like the other day my mom was saying that her mother (my grandma) did not develop grey hair until she was in her late 40's. My mom is in her late 40's and is only now beginning to show traces of grey hair. On the other hand, my dad has had grey hair since he was in his early thirties. Also, when I was in school, I had a senior who had very visible grey hair (interspersed with black hair) though she wasn't older than 16 back then. Looks like our individual genetic composition does contribute to greying of hair, at least to an extent.

Also, it appears that nutrient deficiencies (e.g. vitamin B12, D3, copper and iron) might be responsible. Perhaps you might want to check with a dietician on that front?

This link gives some tips to manage it: https://www.curejoy.com/content/causes-of-gray-hair/

In any case, this is who you are - so embrace yourself Grey locks (or silver locks as I like to call it!) are gorgeous in their own way
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Grey Hairs. - May 9th 2020, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallika View Post
Hello!!

Looks like this is something many people experience! From personal experience I think it has got to do with genetics as well. Also, I did a little Google search and researchers have definitely found evidence that there is a genetic component to it.

Like the other day my mom was saying that her mother (my grandma) did not develop grey hair until she was in her late 40's. My mom is in her late 40's and is only now beginning to show traces of grey hair. On the other hand, my dad has had grey hair since he was in his early thirties. Also, when I was in school, I had a senior who had very visible grey hair (interspersed with black hair) though she wasn't older than 16 back then. Looks like our individual genetic composition does contribute to greying of hair, at least to an extent.

Also, it appears that nutrient deficiencies (e.g. vitamin B12, D3, copper and iron) might be responsible. Perhaps you might want to check with a dietician on that front?

This link gives some tips to manage it: https://www.curejoy.com/content/causes-of-gray-hair/

In any case, this is who you are - so embrace yourself Grey locks (or silver locks as I like to call it!) are gorgeous in their own way
Thanks for the reply! I do take multi-vitamins every morning so it might be genetics.

Closed Thread