TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Sprite-1 Offline
Banned
Average Joe

Name: Tommy

Points: 3,066, Level: 8 Points: 3,066, Level: 8 Points: 3,066, Level: 8

Julie's Long Covid returned - March 27th 2021, 02:31 PM

This afternoon she collapsed onboard our boat while fishing with Wendi. An emergency crew airlifted her to hospital while our sister sailed back. Julie's been released because the hospital needs the bed for an emergency patient. She's home now and I'm with her and Ted.

A nurse can't come til next week because this weekend Monaco is overrun with ill patients needing urgent home care. Wendi is at work all next week, so I'm staying to look after her, can home school here.

I'm upset. A year ago she nearly died from covid complications, and then suffered Long Covid for many months. It wrecked her life, her plans.

Although having prescription inhalers my sister has breathing problems so I've given her oxygen on doctor's orders. Julie aches all over and shivers. As if she hasn't suffered enough.

We've all had Pfizer vaccines. But these vaccines do not protect against Long Covid, though they do protect up to 6x efficacy against future infection. Which is very good.

I've nursed Julie before. I'm used to helping her. For the record, in Monaco I'm a registered care giver. My sister suffering the return may mess up our plans, but we'll manage. We always do.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I've been here a while

Name: Sarah

Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31

Re: Julie's Long Covid returned - March 27th 2021, 05:32 PM

I can't imagine how difficult it must be for you, Wendi, and the rest of your growing family to find that Julie is suffering once again. It must affect her mentally as well, even if she refuses to admit it. Constantly falling severely ill takes its toll on a person. I sincerely hope that she manages to recover. I'm sure she will with family such as yourself around her.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?

Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 74,574, Level: 39 Points: 74,574, Level: 39 Points: 74,574, Level: 39

Re: Julie's Long Covid returned - March 27th 2021, 07:09 PM

I'm sorry to hear your sister is going through this again, it must be very hard on you, her, and your family. I'm wishing her a speedy recovery. Hopefully she'll be back on her feet soon.

"Why want another universe if this one has dogs?"

Matt Haig - The Midnight Library

Volunteer Support Officer | Apply to staff
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Sprite-1 Offline
Banned
Average Joe

Re: Julie's Long Covid returned - March 27th 2021, 07:18 PM

Julie has a big support network now Sarah, so it seems she is coping, but I agree. Her mental state is not as strong as it was, but she has an understanding twin sister in Wendi, and because they are twins, have a thought connection.

I've sat opposite them, crocheting a white top for summer use and occasionally I've looked up to spot them 'talking' silently to each other. Some twins have a telepathic link and this form of silent communication is very beneficial to Julie because I saw her smiling. Which was massively encouraging. And she gets lots of hugs.

Long term, I don't know and wouldn't want to dwell on what might happen. But the most important is my family having had worse things happen have become strong. By this I emotionally strong. I see this in Ted. I see this in Wendi how she makes light of something, causing us to laugh.

Leonardo is here, helping Ted while me and Wendi are doing things for our Julie. Tonight we're watching a film, and will have buckets of popcorn and likely, ice cream. I might be asked to play a song on Gretsch. Somehow we'll get through the evening, so we can start over again tomorrow.

"Take one day at a time." Wendi says. It's all we can do.

And we have Rascal now. He's a cross with a husky and a German Shepherd and Julie loves our puppy. I said Rascal might be half wolf instead and she grinned and said "Then we'll all be howling at the moon!"

Thank you for being here, for me.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Sprite-1 Offline
Banned
Average Joe

Re: Julie's Long Covid returned - March 28th 2021, 09:07 AM

This morning I'm happy to see her looking and sounding lots better!
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I've been here a while

Name: Sarah

Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31

Re: Julie's Long Covid returned - March 28th 2021, 06:59 PM

I'm glad to hear Julie is doing better!
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Sprite-1 Offline
Banned
Average Joe

Re: Julie's Long Covid returned - March 28th 2021, 09:05 PM

I'm pleased seeing improvement in Julie's health improve from a better anti inflammatory inhaler for her asthma, namely fluticasone and salmeterol. This is used in the morning and evening which I've been helping her with by using a spacer. She like Wendi also has Omega-3 fish oil supplements in the form of capsules that are taken daily.

Julie's standard Ventolin is taken as and when needed. Everyone is seeing a marked improvement. Thank you, and Hollie, for your help.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Points: 88,663, Level: 42 Points: 88,663, Level: 42 Points: 88,663, Level: 42

Re: Julie's Long Covid returned - March 30th 2021, 07:00 AM

I'm sorry to hear about Julie. I can't imagine what it must be like for you and your family. However, it's great to hear she is getting better.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Sprite-1 Offline
Banned
Average Joe

Re: Julie's Long Covid returned - March 30th 2021, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusk. View Post
I'm sorry to hear about Julie. I can't imagine what it must be like for you and your family. However, it's great to hear she is getting better.
Long Covid can affect people in different ways, but the worst is nobody knows how long it's going to last. We know another lady who's had the same for months! She was a career woman, high up in the banking world, but since getting covid and being discharged from hospital last year, she's still pretty strung out poor woman.

Similar, Julie's breathing got affected (she has asthma). But she has good days, better days like today. Our doctor says Julie's immune system is strengthening, fighting back. And that is indicative of why she's been feeling so tired, feverish and wrung out.

There is good news though. When covid victims get vaccinated (their second time), then they become up 6 times more resistant to coronavirus infections in the future because the vaccine gets the boy's immune system fortified so it will fight any future variants. Think of the Trojan horse scenario, our doctor enthused. She was like this >

Our priority is having Julie taken care of until she's fully able again; she has a nurse taking care of my sister's needs. Ted also for his back, thankfully healing since his operation, he's not having regular physio.

All of us are booked to have our second vaccine on 6 April. Can't say how much we are looking forward to it!

Now it's important to remember that we are a young family who all have underlying medical conditions, and this was why we were given the covid vaccine, namely the Pfizer vac.

Julie is having a better day today. She's lying out in the sun as the weather is warm and sunny, so she's getting Vitamin D for free.

Thanks for dropping by, Dusk.
Closed Thread