TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Peer Pressure and Bullying Social pressure can take many different forms, including intimidation, bullying and even physical attacks. If you feel you could be a victim or perpetrator (who wishes to stop) of bullying, talk about it here.

View Poll Results: Would you rather your child be a bully or be bullied?
Bully 3 12.00%
Bullied 22 88.00%
Voters: 25. This poll is closed

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
I can't get enough

Name: Andrea

Points: 25,797, Level: 23 Points: 25,797, Level: 23 Points: 25,797, Level: 23

Would you rather your child be a bully or be bullied? - October 2nd 2013, 01:27 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of peer pressure or bullying, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Would you rather your child be a bully or be bullied?

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

Last edited by Catharsis.; October 2nd 2013 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Added triggering label as precaution.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Rockey Offline
Live Life While You Can
Not a n00b

Name: Justin

Points: 6,781, Level: 12 Points: 6,781, Level: 12 Points: 6,781, Level: 12

Re: Would you rather your child be a bully or be bullied? - October 2nd 2013, 01:34 AM

Well, if I had a child. I would want my kid to be er.. So hard.. I think be a bully. If he is a bully no one would mess with him. But, if he was bullied he could hurt himself and stuff. Which.. I wouldn't want. Not sure. :/ Hard question, Andrea.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
mindflower Offline
what the hell is a FixYou♥
I've been here a while

Name: taylor

Points: 32,370, Level: 25 Points: 32,370, Level: 25 Points: 32,370, Level: 25

Re: Would you rather your child be a bully or be bullied? - October 2nd 2013, 01:45 AM

Whoa.... that's one intense question.

Um... I think... I think I'm going to say... this is so hard because I've always had this mindset that if I have kids, they're going to be the sweetest little things ever, and I know that they'll be liked, I'd really try my hardest to be this amazing mother so they AREN'T mean to people, and bully. But its not in my control or their control if they are bullied, so at least its not something that could have been taken care of? But I don't want my kid(s) to be bullied either, that's so harsh and I could never say that, you know? In my heart I'm just sort of praying that they would be able to come to me and their father, and talk about it, so we could stop the bullying and be there for them, and help them see their true friends and that hurting themselves or acting out isn't the right route.

...I can't answer this. I'm not even... sure
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,466, Level: 59 Points: 172,466, Level: 59 Points: 172,466, Level: 59

Re: Would you rather your child be a bully or be bullied? - October 2nd 2013, 01:59 AM

I'll be the weird one to say be bullied. If I'm a parent, I hope I'll be something like my mom, who will rain hellfire on the school and tear the administration apart until something is done. Therefore the bullies would be taken care of. And I'd rather know I'm not raising someone who thinks it's fine to hurt other people like that. Though I'd not want to see my child get hurt, that would kill me, too. I'm just saying I could go rain hellfire.

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Lumos. Offline
Used to be Don'tForget
I can't get enough

Name: Dionna

Points: 28,923, Level: 24 Points: 28,923, Level: 24 Points: 28,923, Level: 24

Re: Would you rather your child be a bully or be bullied? - October 2nd 2013, 02:52 AM

This question is really hard because... I don't want my child to bully because one, he/she will not be raised that way and two, i don't want my child to make someone else feel bad and want to hurt themselves.
but..... i don't want my kid to be bullied because i have gone through that and wouldn't want my child to go through that, i don't want them to ever have thoughts about hurting themselves. I just can't answer this, really. Its too hard and its quite a thought provoking question though.

From day one I talked about getting out
But not forgetting about
How all my worst fears are letting out
He said, "Why put a new address on the same old loneliness?"
When breathing just passes the time
Until we all just get old and die
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Points: 33,939, Level: 26 Points: 33,939, Level: 26 Points: 33,939, Level: 26

Re: Would you rather your child be a bully or be bullied? - October 2nd 2013, 03:13 AM

I said I'd rather they be bullied. It's not that I want them to be victimized, but more that I feel like I would be able to handle it better and know what to do. If my child was the bully I think I'd have a harder time understanding them and I wouldn't be sure how to go about convincing them that it isn't okay. I'd have an easier time convincing a bullied kid that it's the bully's problem than I would convincing a bully that bullying is wrong.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

I can't get enough

Name: Sam
Pronouns: she/her

Points: 40,747, Level: 29 Points: 40,747, Level: 29 Points: 40,747, Level: 29

Re: Would you rather your child be a bully or be bullied? - October 2nd 2013, 03:17 AM

This is a really tough question! I think I would rather have my child be bullied because I'd just go raise hell with the school and get it taken care of. I would hate to think that my child believed that hurting other people physically or emotionally was okay in any way. As much as it would suck to see my kid being victimized, I feel like I would do a better job of handling it.

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Twinge Offline
Forever we'll just lay here
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Vint Fall

Points: 14,243, Level: 17 Points: 14,243, Level: 17 Points: 14,243, Level: 17

Re: Would you rather your child be a bully or be bullied? - October 2nd 2013, 03:21 AM

These positions are different by what you learn after (either being bullied or being the bully), what insecurities they bring and the roles are burden themselves.
Neither is better than the other, and it's irrational to think your child won't wind up being violent towards others or being a victim at any point of their lives. The world is not all Cotton Candy and Rainbows.

I don't want to choose, but I'd be realistic if I had to.
Be bullied because, genes.

I moved back while
my head was turned.

Upside down
closer to the end.

Afraid of the dark
within future times.

I'm drowning there,
my final chase.
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Pronouns: She/her

Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49

Re: Would you rather your child be a bully or be bullied? - October 2nd 2013, 05:17 AM

I completely agree with Dez.

I'd rather be able to help my child and teach them how precious they are than have them think that it's okay to hurt others.

If clarity's in death, then why won't this die?
Years of tearing down our banners, you and I
Living for the thrill of hitting you where it hurts
Give me back my girlhood, it was mine first

The axe forgets, but the tree remembers
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
CorrieUSMC Offline
Ghost Rider
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Corrie

Points: 12,511, Level: 16 Points: 12,511, Level: 16 Points: 12,511, Level: 16

Re: Would you rather your child be a bully or be bullied? - October 2nd 2013, 05:23 AM

Bullied, I rather teach my kid to kick ass than kick his ass.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Adam the Fish Offline
The Skittlemeister.
I can't get enough

Name: Adam

Points: 21,690, Level: 21 Points: 21,690, Level: 21 Points: 21,690, Level: 21

Re: Would you rather your child be a bully or be bullied? - October 2nd 2013, 05:13 PM

I'd rather neither, personally, but if it came to it, Bullied.

It's not really ideal, sure, but better than whatever would cause someone to become a Bully.

Skittlify me up...
Adam the Fish | 26/08/12 | 08/10/12 | 02/12/12 | 09/02/13 | 01/06/13 | 30/08/13 | 25/11/13
...spreading happiness and joy around the Internet!
...well, I try, anyway. .......................
private message.visitor message.profile.email
"May we always remember that we are the rainbow."
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
NonIndigenous Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Points: 32,114, Level: 25 Points: 32,114, Level: 25 Points: 32,114, Level: 25

Re: Would you rather your child be a bully or be bullied? - October 2nd 2013, 05:49 PM

Would depend of how well he or she'd take it, but probably bullied.

Because I see most bullies turn out to be very unremarkable people later on in life.

It's the ones who get bullied and learn to cope with it that know better how to deal with people's shit later on. But they have to learn to cope with it. That's the parents' job.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Chaotic mind...
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Pathetic person

Points: 9,464, Level: 14 Points: 9,464, Level: 14 Points: 9,464, Level: 14

Re: Would you rather your child be a bully or be bullied? - October 2nd 2013, 11:31 PM

That's a striking question but I'm force to imply my answer instantly.
If my child, or children are bullied. I will go insane on the bullies, I will probs host a meeting with the bully's parents and try and look threatening to the bully so he can never touch my children ever again.

But if I find my kids to be bullies, I'll put a stop to it right away and I will provide myself as a healthy figure to them. At least not like a father who regularly sees you at lunch and tea. I would want to be with them everyday.

I'll ensure my child will never become nether of those things. o he or she is a charming, nice person with respect to others.
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Azure. Offline
Filling My Panties.
I've been here a while

Points: 22,903, Level: 21 Points: 22,903, Level: 21 Points: 22,903, Level: 21

Re: Would you rather your child be a bully or be bullied? - October 3rd 2013, 03:23 AM

That's a difficult question. If I had to choose one, I would say bullied. I would want my child to be nice and respectful. And kind. The difficulties in life are what make us stronger, better people. Although its awful to get bullied, I wouldn't want my child to be a bully.

vm-pm
♥♥♥
Find your light in a new dawn.
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Pirouette Offline
Just a girl strolling by
I've been here a while

Name: Rishy

Points: 19,789, Level: 20 Points: 19,789, Level: 20 Points: 19,789, Level: 20

Re: Would you rather your child be a bully or be bullied? - October 3rd 2013, 03:32 AM

Well, I know I'm going to sound like a horrible person for saying this but I'd rather have my child learn the hard way- so being bullied. Honestly, I've experienced some bullying, and its really taught me some life-long lessons of staying strong and not losing hope. I personally think hardships are good for that reason because they pretty much enable you as a person to see and learn things you've never have. I know bullying can also backfire, leading to other things such as SH for a lot of people, substance use, major depression, etc. I wouldn't want that to happen, but I think its worth learning how to deal with people who are just rude and will never learn to accept others for the way they are. But yeah, minor bullying is what I want my kid to experience-nothing too bad, but to the point where he/she learns some valuable lessons about people in the real world.

[left]

"Imperfection is beauty;
madness is genius;
and its better to be absolutely ridiculous
than absolutely boring."

-Marilyn Monroe

(#16 (permalink)) Old
"Bisexual" Tux (Linux Mascot)
I've been here a while

Name: Chris

Points: 20,821, Level: 20 Points: 20,821, Level: 20 Points: 20,821, Level: 20

Re: Would you rather your child be a bully or be bullied? - October 3rd 2013, 03:36 AM

Why is this a binary? Why are we assuming that our kids should be either one? I wouldn't want EITHER to apply, and I would point out that most bullies have been bullied, so it is a cycle (they'd likely end up being both).

Chris
You can always contact me to talk about anything!
---------------------
Proud to be myself.

Need a hug? Please take one!

Image Credit: startingover18 (Tumblr)

last updated on 11/11/17
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
I can't get enough

Re: Would you rather your child be a bully or be bullied? - October 3rd 2013, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loving Linux Penguin View Post
Why is this a binary? Why are we assuming that our kids should be either one? I wouldn't want EITHER to apply, and I would point out that most bullies have been bullied, so it is a cycle (they'd likely end up being both).
It's just a two answer question because if I would of put a third answer such as "neither" everyone would of picked it. I'm made it so that you had to pick either that or this. Just a simple question, many don't want their kids to be bullied nor be a bully but chances of your kid being either one are high being real we don't live in a perfect world.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Skeleton Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Charlie

Points: 41,800, Level: 29 Points: 41,800, Level: 29 Points: 41,800, Level: 29

Re: Would you rather your child be a bully or be bullied? - October 3rd 2013, 07:33 PM

I would say bullied because I'd rather teach my child how to stand up for themselves and how amazing they really are then have to tell them not to be a bully.
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I've been here a while

Name: Sarah

Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31

Re: Would you rather your child be a bully or be bullied? - October 3rd 2013, 09:24 PM

I would rather my child be bullied. As hard and as painful as bullying may be, it makes a person much stronger, less naive, less trusting, more cautious and gives them a much more sensitive view on those who follow in their footsteps in years to come. It gives them a unique perspective on how to deal with bullies and how best to overcome problems faced by bullies in general.
  (#20 (permalink)) Old
Debaser Offline
Tabula Rasa
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Louise

Points: 11,723, Level: 15 Points: 11,723, Level: 15 Points: 11,723, Level: 15

Re: Would you rather your child be a bully or be bullied? - October 3rd 2013, 10:35 PM

I'd rather they be bullied, because generally people are picked on due to a unique quality about them e.g. ginger, smart, tall and so on. I know when i'm a parent i want to give my children the tools to realise that uniqueness is something to be celebrated and i'd hope they'd have a bedrock of self confidence so to treat it as water off a ducks back.
In my personal experience although i didn't have the parenting that i strive to give in the future, i feel being bullied at school and home has given me a thicker skin and ability to standup for myself and others as i've matured.

I would hate for them to be the bully themselves as for starters this would reflect on me as a parent as generally most bullies are bullied themselves at home. And to think my child would hate something based on a difference or a confidence issue in themselves would be really saddening.

(#21 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
I can't get enough

Re: Would you rather your child be a bully or be bullied? - October 4th 2013, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debaser View Post
I'd rather they be bullied, because generally people are picked on due to a unique quality about them e.g. ginger, smart, tall and so on. I know when i'm a parent i want to give my children the tools to realise that uniqueness is something to be celebrated and i'd hope they'd have a bedrock of self confidence so to treat it as water off a ducks back.
In my personal experience although i didn't have the parenting that i strive to give in the future, i feel being bullied at school and home has given me a thicker skin and ability to standup for myself and others as i've matured.

I would hate for them to be the bully themselves as for starters this would reflect on me as a parent as generally most bullies are bullied themselves at home. And to think my child would hate something based on a difference or a confidence issue in themselves would be really saddening.
I like your way of thinking! About that unique qualities.

(#22 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina
Pronouns: she/they

Points: 29,768, Level: 24 Points: 29,768, Level: 24 Points: 29,768, Level: 24

Re: Would you rather your child be a bully or be bullied? - October 5th 2013, 02:07 AM

I'll have to say bullied.
I know that what I have gone through has taught me a whole lot about the world, so many lessons and in some ways what I have been through has allowed me to see the world differently than a lot of people.
If my child were bullied, I'd do my best to support them, communicate constantly with school and do other things that would be helpful in stopping what was occuring.
If they were the bully, I would support them too and try to teach them what they are doing is wrong but I believe that with where I have been I would be able to better empathize with my child.
I think another part of this equation is that bullies become bullies after going through bullying themsleves in a lot of situations.
Really tough question!

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."
  (#23 (permalink)) Old
eckky Offline
Average Joe

Name: Alec

Points: 7,573, Level: 12 Points: 7,573, Level: 12 Points: 7,573, Level: 12

Re: Would you rather your child be a bully or be bullied? - October 6th 2013, 12:31 PM

I would say bullied I hate bullys
Closed Thread