TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Nonoka Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Nonoka

Points: 4,302, Level: 9 Points: 4,302, Level: 9 Points: 4,302, Level: 9

Should I quit school to get a job to support my family? - May 17th 2017, 03:56 AM

I'm in Grade 11 right now and the school year is almost over. I had my daughter in November and took one month off to be with her before going back to school. Since she was born I have been having a hard time keeping up with schoolwork and don't feel like it's as important as I used to. We live with my Grandma in her two bedroom apartment and my Grandma babysits for me while I'm in school, when I'm not in school I'm looking after my daughter and don't have time for both school and a part time job. I use my government baby bonus checks to pay for as much as I can but it's not a lot and My Grandma isn't in the best position financially. I feel really bad everything she's doing for me and I can't pay her back. I've been thinking about not going back to school in September and getting a full time job so I can support myself and my daughter without My Grandma's help. I'm just having a really hard time making up my mind what I should do.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?

Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 74,574, Level: 39 Points: 74,574, Level: 39 Points: 74,574, Level: 39

Re: Should I quit school to get a job to support my family? - May 17th 2017, 02:06 PM

Hey there,

There's not really a right or a wrong answer here, but I think you've done so well considering having a child takes up so much time as it is, without then adding school into the equation! Perhaps you can ask your grandma how she feels about the options? She may not mind looking after your daughter for you so that you can finish school first, however, she may also think that your idea is a good one. Speak with her and see if you can work something out between the two of you. Not having a child myself, I'm not the best person to give too much advice, but I wanted to say I think you're doing really well at the moment. Your daughter is lucky to have a mum who cares for her so much.

"Why want another universe if this one has dogs?"

Matt Haig - The Midnight Library

Volunteer Support Officer | Apply to staff
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Nonoka Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Nonoka

Points: 4,302, Level: 9 Points: 4,302, Level: 9 Points: 4,302, Level: 9

Re: Should I quit school to get a job to support my family? - May 17th 2017, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everglow. View Post
Hey there,

There's not really a right or a wrong answer here, but I think you've done so well considering having a child takes up so much time as it is, without then adding school into the equation! Perhaps you can ask your grandma how she feels about the options? She may not mind looking after your daughter for you so that you can finish school first, however, she may also think that your idea is a good one. Speak with her and see if you can work something out between the two of you. Not having a child myself, I'm not the best person to give too much advice, but I wanted to say I think you're doing really well at the moment. Your daughter is lucky to have a mum who cares for her so much.
Thank you, it is really nice to see someone say that. I don't usually hear that from anyone. My Grandma is the only one who has really been supportive. I am leaning more towards wanting to find a full-time job as my Grandma is falling behind on her bills. And I know most people say stay in school it's important you need it for a good career. But right now working feels more important to me. I just don't know if I will regret it one day or not. I'm hoping maybe someday I will be able to go back to school if I want to. Also does anyone know what sort of jobs I should be able to apply to? I've thought of fast food restaurants, grocery & retail stores, waitress jobs. All of those jobs though pay minimum wage and are usually not full time or with benefits. I know without even finishing high school I can't expect much better but I'm just wondering if there are any other jobs I haven't thought of that I might be qualified for.
Closed Thread