TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General For questions or discussions that do not fit elsewhere, post here. Please check all forum descriptions before posting here to be sure there is not a better location for your thread.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
obelus Offline
divided yet whole

I've been here a while

Name: Oliver
Pronouns: they/them

Points: 59,995, Level: 35 Points: 59,995, Level: 35 Points: 59,995, Level: 35

What does "home" and "healing" mean to you? - February 4th 2021, 12:03 AM

As the title asks...

For the past year or so I've been trying to figure out what these two words mean to me and what they might look like in my life

Well, I've been trying to define "home" for a long time. As far as I know, I've never had a "home". I've lived in many houses and apartments, but they never felt like anything more than that

The concept of "healing" is newer to me. I still can't put much of my thoughts around it into words. I don't believe in saying things will get better because i can't predict the future. I know it's possible they could and i hope they do, but they could also get worse or they could stay the same which isn't good either. So the closest I've gotten is maybe it can be that one day things will be manageable while still living a meaningful life. Though i still don't really know for myself. I'm only so far into even trying to give it meaning

So what does it mean or feel like for you? Discuss if you'd like. I'm not necessarily looking for advice because of how personal defining these things for oneself can be, but I'm interested in what it means for others here

“Peace is power”
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Points: 88,797, Level: 42 Points: 88,797, Level: 42 Points: 88,797, Level: 42

Re: What does "home" and "healing" mean to you? - February 4th 2021, 06:21 AM

Home for me is wherever my family is. I feel the most relaxed and comfortable when I'm with them.

Healing is the process and progress of overcoming something that is traumatic for me such as coping with my mental health.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Psithurism Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Amanda

Points: 840, Level: 4 Points: 840, Level: 4 Points: 840, Level: 4

Re: What does "home" and "healing" mean to you? - February 6th 2021, 11:59 PM

For me, home is where I feel at peace. The most at home I ever feel is when I'm outside hiking a trail or maybe just sitting in the grass. I also feel at home when I'm snuggling my cats!

Healing is possessing the ability to feel your emotions and to let them pass over you, acknowledge them, define them, and then move on. It means taking this ability and revisiting previous trauma that you avoided rather than resolved. It is confronting the darkest parts of yourself and your life, forgiving yourself, choosing to believe that you deserve love and care, and then actively trying to treat yourself with kindness.

At least that's my take : )
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Librarian
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Wendi

Points: 10,282, Level: 14 Points: 10,282, Level: 14 Points: 10,282, Level: 14

Re: What does "home" and "healing" mean to you? - February 7th 2021, 01:37 PM

Home means being with my family, all together in one place, be it in a yacht at present in the Mediterranean, or at home in Monte Carlo which is our permanent residence. But healing, that is something of a different definition.

For me, and for my twin sister, healing is going to take a long time. Emotional healing, especially far longer than we envisaged. But for the present I am using maman's guided meditation which is going to be posted shortly in General Health so that others can benefit.

“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.” - Thomas A. Edison.

Thomas Edison tried over two thousand times to invent the lightbulb.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?

Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 74,574, Level: 39 Points: 74,574, Level: 39 Points: 74,574, Level: 39

Re: What does "home" and "healing" mean to you? - February 7th 2021, 02:24 PM

'Home' for me is where I feel like I don't need to hide. It's people who I don't need to act around and places I can basically look an absolute state and not feel ashamed about it.

'Healing' is a process I guess. It's not really a destination you reach but a journey you go on throughout your whole life. It's a process of acknowledging that things aren't always in your control, knowing when and if to let people in to help, and letting yourself feel pain to ultimately feel better.

"Why want another universe if this one has dogs?"

Matt Haig - The Midnight Library

Volunteer Support Officer | Apply to staff
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Rivičre Offline
Par la rivičre
I've been here a while

Name: Sarah

Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31

Re: What does "home" and "healing" mean to you? - February 7th 2021, 04:06 PM

'Home' has a double meaning to me. It's the place where I go to eat, sleep, relax, whatever else. However, like you I've been moved from place to place. It's not really home. It's just some place I refer to when finishing work, 'I'm going home..' but it doesn't feel like a permanent place for me to live. Just somewhere for me to reside until I have to move again.

'Healing' I feel, takes on many forms. It depends on context. Right now for me healing refers to emotional healing of damage done to me during university. I'm mostly recovered, but I do feel I have a while to go.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Mallika Offline
HelpLINK Mentor

Regular TeenHelper

Name: Mallika

Points: 11,409, Level: 15 Points: 11,409, Level: 15 Points: 11,409, Level: 15

Re: What does "home" and "healing" mean to you? - February 10th 2021, 10:03 AM

This is such a thought-provoking question! A lot of great responses and insights here from the other users

For me...

Home: where the heart belongs. Very cliche, but I think that phrase says it all. Generally I think of a place as home, but I know people to think of another person as "home" too, which is very deep and beautiful. Home is a place where I'm utterly comfortable - I can be myself, do what I want, surrounded by people I'm comfortable with, and most importantly, my heart is content. It is a place I would feel heartbroken about leaving.

Healing: to me, healing can be described as our burdens/challenges getting lesser or fading eventually, bit by bit, with the passage of time. It's when my mind is beginning to settle into a happier place, day after day. There will be some tougher days, but overall, the healing is a process towards a happier state.

Hugs

~ Seize each day and live it like your last ~

HelpLINK Mentor | Forum Moderator

(#8 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount71

Edit avatar

Re: What does "home" and "healing" mean to you? - February 15th 2021, 03:35 PM

"Home" is where my tribe (chosen family) is. I find home is more about the people I share my life with than the physical residence I occupy, though of course my address is still technically home.

"Healing" is harder to define. When people say "healing" my mind often first jumps to burning sage and reiki and other things I don't believe in. But on another level, it's a good term to describe my journey in overcoming trauma. I am slowly healing myself, and I can see the process. The word "healing" is just complicated.
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Pronouns: She/her

Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49

Re: What does "home" and "healing" mean to you? - February 28th 2021, 05:11 PM

Like Sarah, home has the double meaning for me. Right now home is where I go, but the place I am currently at is definitely not home. To me, home is a feeling and I identify more with the physical place. People are important to me, but there is one place I know where I belong. It's a sense of peace and quiet, the feeling as if everything will be okay and I can accomplish anything in that area. But, my home isn't just a house, it's the whole area. The nature, all of it.

To me healing would be having a good life despite what I've been through. I never expect anything to be truly gone, but I could use some peace and calmness, and I want to feel safe. The symptoms lessening, though not entirely disappearing, is how I see it.

If clarity's in death, then why won't this die?
Years of tearing down our banners, you and I
Living for the thrill of hitting you where it hurts
Give me back my girlhood, it was mine first

The axe forgets, but the tree remembers
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
danielmatthews Offline
Banned
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 52, Level: 1 Points: 52, Level: 1 Points: 52, Level: 1

Re: What does "home" and "healing" mean to you? - August 6th 2022, 05:19 AM

Thanks for sharing this great information.
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Astro04 Offline
Community Mentor

Junior TeenHelper

Name: Luca

Points: 4,929, Level: 10 Points: 4,929, Level: 10 Points: 4,929, Level: 10

Re: What does "home" and "healing" mean to you? - August 6th 2022, 11:36 AM

For me "home" is the place where you can have to rest, eat and stay with your family forever.
"Healing" is the moment when you sleep. Nobody can disturb you.
Closed Thread