TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
FlyingTrue Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Points: 20,934, Level: 20 Points: 20,934, Level: 20 Points: 20,934, Level: 20

Teen Girl Suspended For Nose Ring, Says Violates Right of Freedom of Religion - September 16th 2010, 11:21 AM

The story:
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...bGCeAD9I8UHB01
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Union Of V Offline
Scepticism With A Tail
I've been here a while

Name: Basil!!!

Points: 17,727, Level: 19 Points: 17,727, Level: 19 Points: 17,727, Level: 19

Re: Teen Girl Suspended For Nose Ring, Says Violates Right of Freedom of Religion - September 16th 2010, 11:25 AM

Oh dear Well, it was bound to happen sometime...
2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Kyeto-X Offline
Angel without a Halo
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Will

Points: 16,580, Level: 18 Points: 16,580, Level: 18 Points: 16,580, Level: 18

Re: Teen Girl Suspended For Nose Ring, Says Violates Right of Freedom of Religion - September 17th 2010, 02:42 AM

Wow... you can make a religon out of everything now a days.

That's it...I'm starting my own church

"One of the things I regret the most of being able to imagine anything,
is having to fear nothing"

"Realty is a lot more malleable then most people think.
They just refuse to believe that they can do anything about it."

"If a simple electron has a small,
but nonzero chance of doing the impossible,
what is stopping us from doing the same thing?"

-Wise Sayings from a Raving Lunatic
Follow me and my new book on Facebook!
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Xujhan Offline
Resident Atheist
I can't get enough

Name: Fletcher

Points: 22,302, Level: 21 Points: 22,302, Level: 21 Points: 22,302, Level: 21

Re: Teen Girl Suspended For Nose Ring, Says Violates Right of Freedom of Religion - September 17th 2010, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyeto-X View Post
Wow... you can make a religon out of everything now a days.

That's it...I'm starting my own church
It worked for Joseph Smith and L. Ron Hubbard, didn't it?

The atoms that make up you and me were born in the hearts of suns many times greater than ours, and in time our atoms will once again reside amongst the stars. Life is but an idle dalliance of the cosmos, frail, and soon forgotten. We have been set adrift in an ocean whose tides we are only beginning to comprehend and with that maturity has come the realization that we are, at least for now, alone. In that loneliness, it falls to us to shine as brightly as the stars from which we came.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
I can't get enough

Name: Andrea

Points: 25,797, Level: 23 Points: 25,797, Level: 23 Points: 25,797, Level: 23

Re: Teen Girl Suspended For Nose Ring, Says Violates Right of Freedom of Religion - September 17th 2010, 04:13 AM

It's just a bunch of people trying to justify their tattoos and piercings with "religion".

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Xujhan Offline
Resident Atheist
I can't get enough

Re: Teen Girl Suspended For Nose Ring, Says Violates Right of Freedom of Religion - September 17th 2010, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by México View Post
It's just a bunch of people trying to justify their tattoos and piercings with "religion".
And Christianity is just a bunch of people who think that some dead guy is the son of god and can give you eternal life. Religions aren't considered religions because they make any sense.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_...y_Modification

Seems as sincere to me an any other religion.

The atoms that make up you and me were born in the hearts of suns many times greater than ours, and in time our atoms will once again reside amongst the stars. Life is but an idle dalliance of the cosmos, frail, and soon forgotten. We have been set adrift in an ocean whose tides we are only beginning to comprehend and with that maturity has come the realization that we are, at least for now, alone. In that loneliness, it falls to us to shine as brightly as the stars from which we came.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
I can't get enough

Re: Teen Girl Suspended For Nose Ring, Says Violates Right of Freedom of Religion - September 17th 2010, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xujhan View Post
And Christianity is just a bunch of people who think that some dead guy is the son of god and can give you eternal life. Religions aren't considered religions because they make any sense.
Quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_...y_Modification

Seems as sincere to me an any other religion.
Sure... if you think that's Christianity than that's your opinion and it's great to know you think that. But it is true they are just looking for an excuse to justify their tattoos and piercings. Plus the Wikipedia link you posted states that "her religious beliefs did not require her to always wear her eyebrow ring." in a case with a Costco woman. Why can't she take it out for school?

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Xujhan Offline
Resident Atheist
I can't get enough

Re: Teen Girl Suspended For Nose Ring, Says Violates Right of Freedom of Religion - September 17th 2010, 05:17 AM

Quote:

Sure... if you think that's Christianity than that's your opinion and it's great to know you think that. But it is true they are just looking for an excuse to justify their tattoos and piercings. Plus the Wikipedia link you posted states that "her religious beliefs did not require her to always wear her eyebrow ring." in a case with a Costco woman. Why can't she take it out for school?
I don't see that it is true at all, and you certainly haven't justified your accusation. And muslim girls aren't "required" to wear a hijab in school, yet our laws allow them to. What - other than your personal biases - is the difference?

I think a great deal more than that about Christianity; I was trying to show how ridiculous it is to sum up the beliefs of a group of people with such a disdainful offhand comment. Frankly, it's downright arrogant to presume such a strong statement about a group of people about which you know virtually nothing. Why is it so unimaginable to you that to some people, tattoos and piercings are actually a very meaningful part of their self-image?

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
I can't get enough

Re: Teen Girl Suspended For Nose Ring, Says Violates Right of Freedom of Religion - September 17th 2010, 05:29 AM

Quote:
I don't see that it is true at all, and you certainly haven't justified your accusation. And muslim girls aren't "required" to wear a hijab in school, yet our laws allow them to. What - other than your personal biases - is the difference?

I think a great deal more than that about Christianity; I was trying to show how ridiculous it is to sum up the beliefs of a group of people with such a disdainful offhand comment. Frankly, it's downright arrogant to presume such a strong statement about a group of people about which you know virtually nothing. Why is it so unimaginable to you that to some people, tattoos and piercings are actually a very meaningful part of their self-image?
I do realize people with tattoos and piercings get them for self image things I seriously don't have a problem with tattoos or piercings what I do has a problem with is people trying to justify that with a religion and hiding behind the "religious freedom" this is more like a "piercing club". Obey the school rules and get over it.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Points: 38,778, Level: 28 Points: 38,778, Level: 28 Points: 38,778, Level: 28

Re: Teen Girl Suspended For Nose Ring, Says Violates Right of Freedom of Religion - September 17th 2010, 08:33 PM

my first instinct is 'what makes her religion any less important than anyone elses?' and she should be allowed to wear it if they allow other people to wear things that express their religious views. BUT.. where do you draw the line? people could make up any sort of crazy religion and claim they need to wear/bring/have any number of crazy things at school. certain things just wouldn't be practical to be wearing at school.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Anduriel Offline
srsly, wtf.
Experienced TeenHelper

Points: 14,895, Level: 17 Points: 14,895, Level: 17 Points: 14,895, Level: 17

Re: Teen Girl Suspended For Nose Ring, Says Violates Right of Freedom of Religion - September 17th 2010, 11:39 PM

I think if you need special religious accommodations the religion would have to be established. Hard to claim religious freedom if you're the religion's only follower .
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Brandon

Points: 30,381, Level: 25 Points: 30,381, Level: 25 Points: 30,381, Level: 25

Re: Teen Girl Suspended For Nose Ring, Says Violates Right of Freedom of Religion - September 18th 2010, 07:04 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYYAvPjNmYY

It's not because of your "religion", it's because it's against the rules? What if my religion was...I don't know...because Adam and Eve were born naked, everyone should be naked. That wouldn't go too well. But it's my religion, therefore I should be able to exercise my freedom of religion, right?
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Anduriel Offline
srsly, wtf.
Experienced TeenHelper

Points: 14,895, Level: 17 Points: 14,895, Level: 17 Points: 14,895, Level: 17

Re: Teen Girl Suspended For Nose Ring, Says Violates Right of Freedom of Religion - September 18th 2010, 07:11 PM

Quote:
A similar situation to the Iaconos' went to the courts in 2002, when a woman was fired from her job at a Costco store over her eyebrow ring. The woman was also a member of the Church of Body Modification, but the courts eventually ruled that her religious beliefs did not require her to always wear her jewelry.
Does the church require her to wear the piercing at all times?
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Points: 25,205, Level: 22 Points: 25,205, Level: 22 Points: 25,205, Level: 22

Re: Teen Girl Suspended For Nose Ring, Says Violates Right of Freedom of Religion - September 18th 2010, 08:25 PM

[quote=Xujhan;480436]And Christianity is just a bunch of people who think that some dead guy is the son of god and can give you eternal life. Religions aren't considered religions because they make any sense.

You really think your cool, dont you? walking on everybody elses beliefs just because your too narrow minded to believe in something greater than ourselves?
Atheism is a bunch of people who think theres no point to life and try to "live life to the fullest." Honestly, ifI died tomorrow and found out that God wasn't real, I would still be proud of myself for being a Catholic.
I might act like a jerk in this kind of thread, but if your going to imply that we're stupid, I'll do the same thing. Sure, what I said earlier is a stereotype, so, sorry about that.
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Teen Girl Suspended For Nose Ring, Says Violates Right of Freedom of Religion - September 18th 2010, 08:30 PM

Thats a strange religion compared to what I'm used to... I dont think it will hold up in the school, that religion with marijuana down in Florida didn't make it in court, so I dont think this will.
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
Xujhan Offline
Resident Atheist
I can't get enough

Re: Teen Girl Suspended For Nose Ring, Says Violates Right of Freedom of Religion - September 18th 2010, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichWolverineFreak View Post
You really think your cool, dont you? walking on everybody elses beliefs just because your too narrow minded to believe in something greater than ourselves?
Atheism is a bunch of people who think theres no point to life and try to "live life to the fullest." Honestly, ifI died tomorrow and found out that God wasn't real, I would still be proud of myself for being a Catholic.
I might act like a jerk in this kind of thread, but if your going to imply that we're stupid, I'll do the same thing. Sure, what I said earlier is a stereotype, so, sorry about that.

I specifically said in the very next post that that was specifically meant to illustrate how ridiculous I thought Andrea's comment was, and was not meant to convey my actual opinion of Christians. Your comment about atheism illustrates the point just as well, so I can only assume that you didn't bother to keep reading once you saw something that offended you.

Also, thumbs up for assuming that you understand my personal beliefs, when I'm fairly certain I've never talked about them on TeenHelp.

Quote:
I do realize people with tattoos and piercings get them for self image things I seriously don't have a problem with tattoos or piercings what I do has a problem with is people trying to justify that with a religion and hiding behind the "religious freedom" this is more like a "piercing club". Obey the school rules and get over it.
Why does it bother you so much? The only reasons I can think are that either you think it's not as important to them as they say it is, or that you think that their religion is somehow inferior to what you consider "real" religions. I'm open to being mistaken on that, but I can't think of any other reason.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Thurineth Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Laura

Points: 16,638, Level: 18 Points: 16,638, Level: 18 Points: 16,638, Level: 18

Re: Teen Girl Suspended For Nose Ring, Says Violates Right of Freedom of Religion - September 18th 2010, 10:32 PM

Its a nose stud. Sorry but of all the things to be suspended for. A tiny nose stud would be bottom of the list. I'm sure others in the school have far worse.
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kitty

Points: 46,375, Level: 30 Points: 46,375, Level: 30 Points: 46,375, Level: 30

Re: Teen Girl Suspended For Nose Ring, Says Violates Right of Freedom of Religion - September 18th 2010, 11:11 PM

I see that the person can be upset, but I don't think it's wrong to ask her to take it out.
School rules indicate no body jewelry. If she wears it, then what is stopping the other kids from breaking the rule too?
Also, then everyone would start doing things like that. People would then start justifying everything possible.
What if someone created a Swimsuit religion? Then those people would go around in swimsuits 24/7.
Where would we draw the line?

Quote:
And Christianity is just a bunch of people who think that some dead guy is the son of god and can give you eternal life.
If that is your true view of Christianity, then you are sadly mistaken. Christianity is MUCH MORE than that.
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
BrookeTHaddict Offline
~Brooke~Fairy Dust Wishes~
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Brooke

Points: 13,254, Level: 16 Points: 13,254, Level: 16 Points: 13,254, Level: 16

Re: Teen Girl Suspended For Nose Ring, Says Violates Right of Freedom of Religion - September 19th 2010, 12:57 AM

i think if she feels so strongly about the religious thing the girl should be made to put a clear nose stud in.... but i now really wish this religion was in australia i got in trouble heaps for my piercings... look though we cant judge whther its a real religion or not but rights need to be negotiated and she should be made to wear a clear nose stud or have it covered while at school
  (#20 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Teen Girl Suspended For Nose Ring, Says Violates Right of Freedom of Religion - September 19th 2010, 05:54 AM

People at my school would get their ass suspended in a heartbeat for wearing a nose ring, but I go to a Catholic school.
Oh Xujhan, your right in guessing I didnt read the next message you made, so my bad.
  (#21 (permalink)) Old
Lee Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Lee Awesome

Points: 12,901, Level: 16 Points: 12,901, Level: 16 Points: 12,901, Level: 16

Re: Teen Girl Suspended For Nose Ring, Says Violates Right of Freedom of Religion - September 19th 2010, 06:38 AM

I will point out that one reason why it's not viable to take out some piercings for school is that the holes can close up easily, or can cause pain when trying to put the piercing back in. I know one person who took her nose piercing out for school and had it close up. If she wants to keep it in, make it a small clear piercing only for school.
Closed Thread