TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Sex and Puberty For questions related to sex, puberty, birth control and sexual health, ask here!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Persons Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 6,973, Level: 12 Points: 6,973, Level: 12 Points: 6,973, Level: 12

Period and Pregnant - August 2nd 2012, 03:16 PM

We had unprotected sex during the end of her period and I came inside of her. She continued to bleed for a couple more days. What are the chances of her becoming pregnant and will birth control pills do anything since its been a week since we did it?
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
punk rocker with attitude
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Jennifer

Points: 16,645, Level: 18 Points: 16,645, Level: 18 Points: 16,645, Level: 18

Re: Period and Pregnant - August 2nd 2012, 08:01 PM

Though unlikely, because a women usually gets pregnant during her fertile window/ovulation day, which is when the egg is released into the uterus, (most women's fertile days are 14 days after the start of her period). The likelihood then is probably slim to none. As for the birth control, which I assume she is on, if she were pregnant it wouldn't do anything.

You can't live a positive life with a negative mind and if you have a positive outcome you have a positive income and just to have more positivity and just to kind of laugh it off. ~ Miley Cyrus

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23

Re: Period and Pregnant - August 2nd 2012, 10:10 PM

#1. A) If you used a condom you have very little to worry about unless it broke (and I am sure that "oh shit the condom broke" would be in your summary if that was an issue) and if you used a condom you don't need to stress out over my following suggestions

#1. B) If she has been taking birth control she has to have been on it for a month before it will be effective. So there are 21 pills, so she takes all those and after the 1st pack is done it is considered effective. So if she was not already on birth control a month prior to you coming inside her, no, it will not help.

#2. Despite what Jennifer said, when ever you have unprotected sex you run the risk of pregnancy because an average is just that, an average, it doesn't guarantee that an egg won't be available on X days of the month to fertilize. You shouldn't assume that it's ok to not use a condom on the off chance that it's supposedly a good time, a doctor would have to do special tests on the girl to know the potential "best time" to avoid/get pregnant for certain.

and:

#3. If it has been less than 5 days, Plan B will still be effective, it is more effective the sooner you get to it. Plan B is the only thing that will act against pregnancy in these situations. Birth Control will not harm a baby. If it has been 6-7 days you could still try it but I would definitely monitor her period the next month and make sure she doesn't miss it, but make sure she gives it longer than usual (ex. getting pissed cause its a week late isn't helping, periods are a week late a lot, give it 2 weeks then get a test).

AND last but not least:

#4. If you guys are going to be having sex without condoms you guys absolutely need to be tested for STD's if you haven't been already and don't be afraid to see written verification of the results. AND AND AND the most important part: use the pill!! Unless you guys want a baby she should be on birth control. In any case, it's better to double up and use condoms AND birth control simultaneously. Better safe than sorry.

PM me if you need more

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Little Lion Man
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Katie

Points: 11,382, Level: 15 Points: 11,382, Level: 15 Points: 11,382, Level: 15

Re: Period and Pregnant - August 2nd 2012, 11:46 PM

Any time you have unprotected sex, you risk pregnancy. There is still a chance, though it is very small, that she got pregnant. If she starts birth control now, it won't help you with last week's sex. Have her take a pregnancy test two weeks from when you had sex, but not before, because it won't give you accurate answers. Next time you have sex, be sure that either she's on birth control, you use a condom, or both, because I'm assuming neither of you want a baby right now.

Sorry I couldn't be there, I was tied to a rocking chair.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Proud Military Girlfriend
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Shannon

Points: 32,429, Level: 25 Points: 32,429, Level: 25 Points: 32,429, Level: 25

Re: Period and Pregnant - August 3rd 2012, 02:55 AM

I do agree that the chances right now are there, though slim since she was on her period. Anytime you have unprotected sex you risk the chance of pregnancy. Since you had unprotected sex, there is a chance but if she was toward the end of her period, chances are the egg had already been released.

Now, when on birth control, a girl doesn't ovulate. So, there really isn't anything to worry about. It's not even a real period, but what's called breakthrough bleeding. Just wait it out two weeks and then suggest she takes a pregnancy test.

I may wear the glass slippers; But my hero wears combat boots <3 I love you, Lieutenant

HelpLink Mentor 6/13/2011
Pregnancy & Childcare Moderator 11/26/2011
Fashion & Style Moderator 12/28/2011
Social Groups Moderator 12/28/2011
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Persons Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 6,973, Level: 12 Points: 6,973, Level: 12 Points: 6,973, Level: 12

Re: Period and Pregnant - August 3rd 2012, 03:58 AM

Thanks for the replies. Does the fact that she was still bleeding due to her period for a few days after we had unprotected sex reduce the chances of pregnancy?
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Proud Military Girlfriend
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Shannon

Points: 32,429, Level: 25 Points: 32,429, Level: 25 Points: 32,429, Level: 25

Re: Period and Pregnant - August 3rd 2012, 10:30 AM

Not necessarily, but the chances are already slim since she was on her period anyway. As I mentioned above, if she's on birth control, she isn't experiencing ovulation since that's what birth control is for: the prevention of pregnancy. No egg + no sperm = no pregnancy.

I may wear the glass slippers; But my hero wears combat boots <3 I love you, Lieutenant

HelpLink Mentor 6/13/2011
Pregnancy & Childcare Moderator 11/26/2011
Fashion & Style Moderator 12/28/2011
Social Groups Moderator 12/28/2011
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23

Re: Period and Pregnant - August 3rd 2012, 05:50 PM

There is a smaller risk of pregnancy while on your period, but there is still a significant enough of a risk that protection should be used

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Evanesco Offline
Linguistics geek
Outside, huh?

Name: Harrison (or Harri)

Points: 38,514, Level: 28 Points: 38,514, Level: 28 Points: 38,514, Level: 28

Re: Period and Pregnant - August 4th 2012, 10:01 AM

Sperm can also live inside the vagina for a bit, I can't remember how long but it might be long enough to risk pregnancy even if she wasn't fertile when you had sex. If she wasn't on birth control when you had sex, or was on birth control but hadn't taken it for long enough (a month for some, a week for others, depends what pill), then she should get plan B. If it's too late for plan B, you'll just have to wait it out. Being on her period makes the risk low but it doesn't remove it altogether.

Join the Skeleton Clique on TH
Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!

Don't trust a perfect person and don't trust a song that's flawless.
RIP Granddad Terry. I'll miss you.
Closed Thread