TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Sex and Puberty For questions related to sex, puberty, birth control and sexual health, ask here!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
PureLithium Offline
Equestrian
Average Joe

Name: Alex

Points: 15,413, Level: 18 Points: 15,413, Level: 18 Points: 15,413, Level: 18

Is it ok to take birth control 10 minutes late? - July 27th 2011, 01:18 AM

My doctor told me to be very precise and make sure I take the pill (Beyaz) at the exact time everyday. It's my first time on birth control and tonight's the third day but I forgot and had to take my pill 7 minutes late.

this is probably the dumbest question ever but is it still effective and it's not going to screw with my schedule, right?

One more question, so far my birth control pill hasn't had any side effects. My mom never had them when she was a teenager on the pill either so she assured me that I wouldn't have any and as stated, so far, I haven't. However, is it possible that side effects could develop a couple days after first starting the pill? I read online it could take a couple days for it to get into your system and that's when you'll start to have nasty side effects.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Angel Offline
The final horcrux
I've been here a while

Points: 23,828, Level: 22 Points: 23,828, Level: 22 Points: 23,828, Level: 22

Re: Is it ok to take birth control 10 minutes late? - July 27th 2011, 01:59 AM

I'm pretty sure ten minutes is fine. Combination pills usually have a twelve hour window in which you're still ok to take the pill. Progestin only pills have a smaller time frame, about three hours or so. It is a good idea to take it at the same time every day since making it a habit reduces the likeliness of missing a pill.

Side effects may not show up instantly as soon as you start taking a medication. When I first got on the pill, it took me a little while to develop nausea and come to the realization that it was caused by the pill. The symptoms may be gradual, there may be none at all. It is up to your body at this point.

Hope this helps.

"Years ago, I knew a boy who made all the wrong choices."

Last edited by Angel; July 27th 2011 at 01:08 PM.
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Proud Military Girlfriend
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Shannon

Points: 32,429, Level: 25 Points: 32,429, Level: 25 Points: 32,429, Level: 25

Re: Is it ok to take birth control 10 minutes late? - July 27th 2011, 03:07 AM

Angel is right, there is usually a 12-hour window when you are allowed to take the pill. Ten minutes is fine. You can always bring up your concern with your doctor though; making a habit of taking it at the same time every day is the best thing to do since it's effective most that way.

Side effects can take a few days, and everyone is different. Just because your mom didn't have any doesn't mean that you won't either, but don't base it solely on what she says.

I may wear the glass slippers; But my hero wears combat boots <3 I love you, Lieutenant

HelpLink Mentor 6/13/2011
Pregnancy & Childcare Moderator 11/26/2011
Fashion & Style Moderator 12/28/2011
Social Groups Moderator 12/28/2011
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Magic. Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Poppy

Points: 18,934, Level: 19 Points: 18,934, Level: 19 Points: 18,934, Level: 19

Re: Is it ok to take birth control 10 minutes late? - July 27th 2011, 04:24 AM

Depending on the pill it'll have a 2-12 hour window, it should say on the info you got with them. But 2 hours is the smallest window I know of, and could find in a brief online search, so 10 minutes should be fine.
The only thing it would really affect, if anything, would be the reliability of the contraceptive, so if you're still worried use a condom until after your next period. But I think yuo should be fine

You can't move mountains by whispering at them.

Take a look at my art here:
http://attemptedart.tumblr.com/
Closed Thread