TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Pregnancy and Childcare If you're pregnant, a young parent, or have questions related to either, ask them here!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Megumi Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Meg Johnston

Points: 9,183, Level: 14 Points: 9,183, Level: 14 Points: 9,183, Level: 14

My dad's girlfriend is pregnant...I don't know what to think? - May 17th 2010, 07:45 PM

I am 16 years old and I live in Canada with my mum and older sister, and my brothers live in Scotland with my dad, his girlfriend, and her 2 daughters. She has said on many occasions that she does not want another child, and that her other kids weren't planned (she has her oldest when she was 17, and was on b/c with her second), but now that my dad is having doubts about the relationship, she got herself pregnant by going off her b/c so that my dad will stay. I found out on Saturday that she is pregnant, and I don't know what to think.

Firstly, I was kind of happy because I've wanted a baby brother or sister since my youngest brother was about 4 (he's 12 now).

Then secondly I felt sad because for the last few months I was living in Scotland she didn't talk to me and did everything she could to try turn my dad against me, so I probably won't get to know my new sibling.

Next, I felt really angry because she's selfishly bringing a child into the world that she doesn't even want. My dad is nearly 40 and done with having kids, and my mum got pregnant 6 years ago and miscarried at 5 months, and she really wanted another child, and it made her have a full nervous breakdown, and she's only just gotten back to "normal."

But mostly I feel jealous...firstly because me and my dad are drifting further apart, and we've always been very close, but mainly because I so desperately want a baby of my own.

What do I do? I want to know my new sibling, but I don't see how that's going to be possible.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Points: 77,427, Level: 39 Points: 77,427, Level: 39 Points: 77,427, Level: 39

Re: My dad's girlfriend is pregnant...I don't know what to think? - May 17th 2010, 09:23 PM

Hello, Meg.

If your father is willing to stand up for you, and insists that you be able to interact with your half-sibling while visiting your family in Scotland, then that's great. But if he's willing to throw you under the bus, in order to keep his girlfriend happy, you're out of luck. =(

I hope I'm not coming across as too rude by asking this... but why are you so eager to have a child at 16? The only reason why I ask is because I've seen so many young people (including a close friend of mine) rush into getting pregnant, because they want to create a new family and "make up" for poor relationships with their own parents. Perhaps I misunderstood, and you're waiting until you're older and/or financially stable before taking on that responsibility of having a child. If that's the case, I apologize. =P

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Megumi Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Meg Johnston

Points: 9,183, Level: 14 Points: 9,183, Level: 14 Points: 9,183, Level: 14

Re: My dad's girlfriend is pregnant...I don't know what to think? - May 17th 2010, 11:24 PM

I've always wanted to have kids, and it may have something to do with poor relationships between my family and I, but I am going to wait until I am financially stable.
Closed Thread