TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

LGBTQ+, Sexuality and Gender Identity This forum is for you to explore your sexuality and identity, whatever that may be.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachell

Points: 25,799, Level: 23 Points: 25,799, Level: 23 Points: 25,799, Level: 23

LGBT Targeted in National Suicide Prevention Strategy - September 12th 2012, 02:06 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of suicide, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread therefore might not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

The title basically says it all. Teens part of the LGBT community are said to more likely attempt or commit suicide due to bullying, or people just being prejudice. Here is the link to the full story and I guess ways to prevent LGBT suicide: http://news.yahoo.com/lgbt-suicide-targeted-national-suicide-prevention-strategy-213754626.html?_esi=1

Honestly I think it is great that people are trying to prevent suicide, but why wait until now to realize that LGBT people tend to commit suicide as well as any others? I don't think suicides should just be more focused on the LGBT community, but its nice that people want to prevent others from taking their own lives.

~I was always scared of everything, even the carousel.~

~Don't worry about me. I'm sort of feeling fine, but by tomorrow, I'll be back on my feet again.~

-Goodnight Tonight
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Points: 33,886, Level: 26 Points: 33,886, Level: 26 Points: 33,886, Level: 26

Re: LGBT Targeted in National Suicide Prevention Strategy - September 12th 2012, 03:34 AM

The issue I have with it is that everyone seems to try to prevent suicide in one group at a time, now it's LGBT which probably has something to do with the perceived rise in LGBT suicides and the increased acceptance of LGBT in general. I don't think it means that it's just now being realized I think that it seems to be the most pressing right now so that's where the focus is.

The same could be said for suicides in the military, it's not that they didn't occur before, but since we've been in a war, the incidence has increased so it's focused on more. I think tailoring prevention to certain groups is really the only way to do it because suicide could, in theory, affect everyone.

Right now they're looking at LGBT and military, before it was teenagers and college students, and at some point it was, or will be the elderly. I don't think anyone is focusing on one group and excluding the others, but I think the focus is just shifting because otherwise certain populations would be overlooked.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Mitch Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Mitchell

Points: 11,159, Level: 15 Points: 11,159, Level: 15 Points: 11,159, Level: 15

Re: LGBT Targeted in National Suicide Prevention Strategy - September 12th 2012, 06:09 AM

Well you can't focus attention to every individual group or sub-culture that commits suicide, the best approach is to break it down into smaller pieces.
Closed Thread