TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

LGBTQ+, Sexuality and Gender Identity This forum is for you to explore your sexuality and identity, whatever that may be.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Points: 19,936, Level: 20 Points: 19,936, Level: 20 Points: 19,936, Level: 20

Macklemore's "Same Love" and the LGBT rights movement - September 6th 2013, 08:52 AM

For those not familiar with this, Seattle-based rapper Macklemore and producer Ryan Lewis have released a single called "Same Love" in which they express their support for the LGBT rights movement. You can watch the music video here, and so far it's garnered a lot of attention. It's come to light most recently in the UK as it's been plugged by BBC Radio 1 during their daytime shows.

For my part, I think it's a very impressive and powerful song and quite a bold statement from a genre in which LGBT issues (and in particularly homosexuality) are rarely discussed and even more rarely discussed positively. However, while trying to find out more about who was involved in the record I've discovered that the reaction from some within the LGBT community hasn't quite been so positive. In particular, an openly gay rapper going by the name of Le1f has been highly critical of Macklemore on Twitter. From the articles I've found it (here and here)sounds like there's an undercurrent of possible plagiarism to do with another single, and perhaps a touch of the green-eyed monster, but there also appears to be some resentment that a straight rapper is championing the cause and almost suggesting he has no right to do so. The tweets appear to have been deleted, but it got me thinking about how well things like this are received. As a straight man listening to the song I thought it had the potential to do a lot of good on this front, but this incident perhaps provides a different perspective on things.

So, question for the floor: leaving aside the "all publicity is good publicity" angle to people like Macklemore getting involved, where do you stand on this? Do artists who aren't themsleves part of the LGBT community have a right to comment on such issues in their songs (and by definition make money from it)? Or does it detract from LGBT artists in the same field?

Apologies if this has been discussed before elsewhere, but I thought it was worth asking about as Le1f's comments are fairly recent.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,604, Level: 59 Points: 172,604, Level: 59 Points: 172,604, Level: 59

Re: Macklemore's "Same Love" and the LGBT rights movement - September 6th 2013, 10:42 AM

I personally got irritated when I saw all of those posts on Tumblr about the fact that he's a white, cisgender male and therefore has "no right to sing this." You know what? If he didn't really support LGBT+ rights, he could have made money by singing about sex and drugs or something else, who knows. But, he took the time out of the day to make a song that millions of people will hear and think about. I'm in the LGBT+ community myself although I don't define my sexuality, and I think I'd rather hear a straight person supporting LGBT+ rights in their songs than bashing them or talking about drugs and getting shot. So, more power to Macklemore, at least he's supporting and not hating. Music can be a good way to spread a message.

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Snufkin Offline
XO
I've been here a while

Name: Scott

Points: 27,101, Level: 23 Points: 27,101, Level: 23 Points: 27,101, Level: 23

Re: Macklemore's "Same Love" and the LGBT rights movement - September 6th 2013, 02:21 PM

In his song Contradiction he sings about being a misogynist http://songmeanings.com/songs/view/3530822107858841034/

I'm a white straight cis gendered male aged 22, so maybe I'm not meant to comment, but I don't see how someone singing about LGBT rights is a bad thing. I think it'd be a bad thing if it panders to the LGBT community as an audience like Lady Gaga does, but this is one song he has.

When it comes to homosexuality in the hip hop community, I suppose this is kind of noteworthy because it's very mainstream, it's out there on the radio, and it's hip hop that is easy to access for even the most casual listener. I would say that Frank Ocean's public coming out last year meant more because it wasn't this big mainstream thing. It was personal to him and his listeners, and he happened to be a part of the hip hop community.

I think in this case though Mackelmore's voice may as well be amplified. It's not like everything he does is about equal rights. So he has one song, it's not like everyone in the LGBT community is gonna become a fan because of one song. He isn't exactly pandering.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Spicy_ Offline
愛してる
Senior TeenHelper

Points: 17,982, Level: 19 Points: 17,982, Level: 19 Points: 17,982, Level: 19

Re: Macklemore's "Same Love" and the LGBT rights movement - September 6th 2013, 09:55 PM

Macklemore is one of my favorite singers (even before he made this song) and I personally commend him for creating a song and standing up for LGBT rights. He and every singer/company all have the right to express their opinions in public, this is a free country.

Through darkness does the light shine even brighter
PM/VM
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount71

Edit avatar

Re: Macklemore's "Same Love" and the LGBT rights movement - September 7th 2013, 03:26 AM

Personally, I think it's ridiculous to say someone can't write about, sing about or otherwise creatively champion a cause if they themselves don't fall into that category. So he's not gay; so what? The cause obviously means a lot to him, and he obvious has very strong feelings about it. The song itself is beautiful, and the music video is heartbreaking (seriously, I cried the first time I watched it). I don't think it's fair, or practical, to pick and choose support. This song has brought media attention and an outpouring of support for the LGBT cause and community. And in the end, that's what matters, not whether who sang the song was actually gay or not.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Skeleton Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Charlie

Points: 41,800, Level: 29 Points: 41,800, Level: 29 Points: 41,800, Level: 29

Re: Macklemore's "Same Love" and the LGBT rights movement - September 7th 2013, 09:48 AM

Macklemore could have sang about anything but he chose to sing about LGBT rights and instead of praising him for using what he has to get that message out there, they're instead saying that he shouldn't have done it because he is straight. If we should be criticizing anyone it should be people like Robin Thicke for singing 'Blurred Lines', at least Macklemore's song actually stands for something and has a message which could actually do some good.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

Points: 19,512, Level: 20 Points: 19,512, Level: 20 Points: 19,512, Level: 20

Re: Macklemore's "Same Love" and the LGBT rights movement - September 8th 2013, 06:19 AM

And, let's not forget that Macklemore's entire persona is based around being "progressive". He essentially embodies the "modern hipster" values. This is an extension of that.

- Justin

"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Maverick. Offline
Deep Thinker
I've been here a while

Name: Anthony

Points: 15,021, Level: 17 Points: 15,021, Level: 17 Points: 15,021, Level: 17

Re: Macklemore's "Same Love" and the LGBT rights movement - September 8th 2013, 08:25 AM

Underrated song by Michael Jackson backup singer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRwLMC2wP0g

You've had a landscaper and a house keeper since you were born
The sunshine always kept you warm.
Closed Thread