TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Relationships and Dating Ask here for advice on dates, break-ups and other relationship concerns.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
sally4lifee Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 6,007, Level: 11 Points: 6,007, Level: 11 Points: 6,007, Level: 11

Question I'm two years older than my boyfriend is it okay is that okay - November 28th 2013, 04:38 PM

I have a question I am an 18 year old female who is dating a 16 year old male is that okay? And his parents and my parents are fine with it.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
An Inspiration For The Broken
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Mark

Points: 17,323, Level: 19 Points: 17,323, Level: 19 Points: 17,323, Level: 19

Re: I'm two years older than my boyfriend is it okay is that okay - November 28th 2013, 05:22 PM

Well, I'm not a female, but I don't see anything wrong with that. As long as your parents and his parents are fine with you two dating and you two don't engage in sexual activity of any kind, both of you will be okay to be dating one another. The only time that it will not be okay for you two to be dating is if one or both your parents are not okay with it, and you two engage in sexual activity (which I wouldn't suggest doing as if you do so, there'll be consequences, especially considering that you're an adult, and he's still a minor). Basically, this is just opposite of what I mentioned at the beginning of this post. Best of wishes to you, and may your relationship with this guy work out for the best.

“The main thing is realizing that even if you feel terrible for a while, that’s not how you’re going to feel the whole time. . . . Things change if you just keep moving.” - Gary Vaynerchuk

Last edited by CrusadingAvenger; November 28th 2013 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Adding on to advice
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,635, Level: 59 Points: 172,635, Level: 59 Points: 172,635, Level: 59

Re: I'm two years older than my boyfriend is it okay is that okay - November 28th 2013, 05:23 PM

If both of your parents are fine with it, I don't see that much of a problem with it.

I think my parents are actually the same way. My mom met my dad when she was 16, and since he's two years older, that would have made him 18. They married when she was 19.

The age of consent varies in different areas, too, sometimes it's 16, or sometimes even 17 or 18. There are also close in age laws in some states, meaning that if you're only a few years apart the relationship is still fine. If you want more information, you can go here.

But two years isn't a whole lot, so you should be okay.

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

Points: 37,084, Level: 27 Points: 37,084, Level: 27 Points: 37,084, Level: 27

Re: I'm two years older than my boyfriend is it okay is that okay - November 28th 2013, 05:25 PM

As long as you two are okay with it then it's fine. I know we usually think of dating as the girl being younger but it's okay if the guy is younger too.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Most Likely Offline
Avete vos
Regular TeenHelper

Name: -

Points: 9,567, Level: 14 Points: 9,567, Level: 14 Points: 9,567, Level: 14

Re: I'm two years older than my boyfriend is it okay is that okay - November 28th 2013, 05:42 PM

Of course it is, such an age gap matters not.

Who dares - wins.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Kayla Christine.

Points: 23,651, Level: 22 Points: 23,651, Level: 22 Points: 23,651, Level: 22

Re: I'm two years older than my boyfriend is it okay is that okay - November 28th 2013, 05:58 PM

I think age doesn't matter when it's close. I've never had a problem with someone being a little older or a little younger than there loved ones. It gets to a point where your it's over the top. Like 17, and 27. I think you two are fine, there is nothing wrong with your relationship, age is just a number.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
taylalatbh. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Taylala

Points: 27,528, Level: 23 Points: 27,528, Level: 23 Points: 27,528, Level: 23

Re: I'm two years older than my boyfriend is it okay is that okay - November 28th 2013, 09:11 PM

I don't think it matters. If he were any younger then it would be strange, but that's the same if you were the younger one or not. Age doesn't matter as long as your maturity levels are fairly similar. As long as your relationship works and you get on alright then it shouldn't matter at all. And don't worry what other people think either, that just makes things worse!
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
SamMarie Offline
Sam
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Sam

Points: 16,977, Level: 18 Points: 16,977, Level: 18 Points: 16,977, Level: 18

Re: I'm two years older than my boyfriend is it okay is that okay - November 28th 2013, 09:16 PM

If both parents are fine with it and you two are happy, why not? I think it's all really preference. I'm not one to date a man younger than I, but happiness is a gift. Appreciate what you have. Good luck!

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Ki

Points: 6,277, Level: 11 Points: 6,277, Level: 11 Points: 6,277, Level: 11

Re: I'm two years older than my boyfriend is it okay is that okay - December 1st 2013, 02:50 AM

when i was 18 i was dating a 15 yr old..i may not be female but age should have nothing to do with it...at end of day sex is sex...aslong as your safe go for it have fun
Closed Thread