TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Relationships and Dating Ask here for advice on dates, break-ups and other relationship concerns.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
yazztarak Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 5,823, Level: 11 Points: 5,823, Level: 11 Points: 5,823, Level: 11

Is a 15 year old guy dating a 13 year old girl okay? - September 26th 2014, 08:50 PM

So, I've been flirting a lot with this girl, and then she revealed she had a crush on me, which I've had on her; we both like each other a lot, but I have a problem that for some reason I can't get over; she told me she's 13, while I'm 15. I've seen plenty of this situation, bot for some reason I find this hard to get around, and it's bugging me. This is my first realtionship, and i don't want to lose her, but this age thing is something I'm afraid of being looked at for. Am I just over reacting?
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: you can call me Rina

Points: 7,014, Level: 12 Points: 7,014, Level: 12 Points: 7,014, Level: 12

Re: Is a 15 year old guy dating a 13 year old girl okay? - September 26th 2014, 10:16 PM

Well I don't see to much wrong with it. As long as your not 18 which you say that your not. Then there is no legal problem. There really is only a couple years difference. However there may be a problem with maturity level since you are older than she is. She might not be able to handle a more mature relationship, that's not as juvenile. She might not even be aloud to date and specialy someone older. I would possibly ask her if her parents are ok with it, because if their not that might be a bad way to start a relationship with someone if not everyone is supportive. There may even be teasing on your side for dating someone younger. But don't fear because like all cheesy romance books and movies say " true love triumphs all" or something like that. LOL. Just go for it!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23

Re: Is a 15 year old guy dating a 13 year old girl okay? - September 26th 2014, 11:38 PM

It is only 2 years. To put it in perspective, I dated a guy 1 year older than me, another guy who's 3 years older than me and my current boyfriend is 1 year younger than me... I have another friend who's fiance (who she's been dating since she was 14) is 3 years older, my best friends husband is 3 years older, another friends husband is 6 years older, my other best friends babys dad is 7 years older, and the list goes on.

We really don't live in an era where having super narrow age gaps in relationships is important any more.

That said, the age you are at matters a lot, especially in terms of maturity. When you are 13+ I think it is ok to date someone who is 2-3 years older (ex. 13-16, 14-17, 15-18), but someone who is 17 w/ a 20 year old some how seems creepy - in my opinion, I can't help but wonder why someone who was supposed to be done high school years ago is still doing hanging out with teenagers and why hasn't he/she moved on, the exception would be if that couple started dating while both were in high school, so obviously there are considerable limits to what is considered socially acceptable - like once you hit your 20's it tends to be more "ok" to go up to 5-7 years difference in relationships.

Any how, my point is that you are, in fact, dating within a range that will be considered socially acceptable by most people. Because peoples social groups tend to be within around +/- 3 years (roughly, could be 2, could be 5), it is understandable that, of course, your chances of wanting to date someone a little older or younger increase

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount71

Edit avatar

Re: Is a 15 year old guy dating a 13 year old girl okay? - September 27th 2014, 02:27 AM

Two years is not a big age difference and neither of you is of legal age while the other is underage. It is possible people may look down on you for dating someone still in middle school while you are in high school, but it's your happiness and your relationship. As long as you find compatibility with her then it shouldn't matter how others perceive your relationship. Don't sacrifice a good relationship just because you may get "looks" over it.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Thetruesalvador Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 5,367, Level: 10 Points: 5,367, Level: 10 Points: 5,367, Level: 10

Re: Is a 15 year old guy dating a 13 year old girl okay? - September 27th 2014, 02:31 AM

Keep playing her, and ask her out
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
TheGuyinCanada Offline
TeenHelp Sponsor

Average Joe

Points: 5,930, Level: 11 Points: 5,930, Level: 11 Points: 5,930, Level: 11

Re: Is a 15 year old guy dating a 13 year old girl okay? - September 27th 2014, 02:45 AM

Dating a 13 year old girl is okay. As long as both of you want to continue dating I do not think that is a problem. two years of a difference is not that much. happy dating
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
FrozenFire Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 5,439, Level: 10 Points: 5,439, Level: 10 Points: 5,439, Level: 10

Re: Is a 15 year old guy dating a 13 year old girl okay? - September 29th 2014, 07:57 AM

Honestly, people our age overlook things like that. Imagine being 23 talking to a 21 year old girl. Things like that don't matter at all, so you should try to view it as such. Yes, you may be ridiculed by friends, but if you own it, they can't shun you for it!

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Doodle. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Ceilidh
Pronouns: Any/All

Points: 122,273, Level: 49 Points: 122,273, Level: 49 Points: 122,273, Level: 49

Re: Is a 15 year old guy dating a 13 year old girl okay? - September 29th 2014, 11:58 AM

I don't see the problem with this either. I was going out with a 16 year old when I was 14 for a little bit. Nobody raised an eyebrow.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,194, Level: 59 Points: 172,194, Level: 59 Points: 172,194, Level: 59

Re: Is a 15 year old guy dating a 13 year old girl okay? - September 29th 2014, 12:39 PM

Since you two are so close in age it shouldn't be a problem. It isn't like you are an adult trying to date a 13 year old! The age gap is very small. You should be fine.

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Points: 25,205, Level: 22 Points: 25,205, Level: 22 Points: 25,205, Level: 22

Re: Is a 15 year old guy dating a 13 year old girl okay? - September 30th 2014, 02:43 AM

I think it's ok, only two years.
One time, a 12 year old girl thought we were destined to be together. I was 16. 4 whole years. I said that's f***ed up. She said it wasn't f***ed up because she had a boyfriend who was 27 before. So I said that's f***ed up.
If I wasn't right about 4 years, I sure as hell was right about 15.
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Skyline Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Skye

Points: 11,420, Level: 15 Points: 11,420, Level: 15 Points: 11,420, Level: 15

Re: Is a 15 year old guy dating a 13 year old girl okay? - October 2nd 2014, 06:53 PM

I don't see anything wrong with that. I have quite a few friends that have or had boyfriends that were 3 years older than them, and I think that's absolutely normal and fine.
Don't worry about it too much. Good luck

"You shall love your crooked neighbour / with your crooked heart."
Closed Thread